- Government has confirmed that it is considering a proposal to increase excise duty on the diesel cars. Minister of State Finance, S S Palanimanickam said: "Representations have been received by the government for increasing excise duty on diesel cars. These are under examination".
- A hybrid version of the 2013 Volkswagen Jetta has clocked 185mph (300kph) at the Bonneville Salt Flats in America – fastest speed achieved by a production-based hybrid, setting a new world record. This Jetta runs on well known 1.4-litre turbocharged TSI engine coupled with 20-kW (27bhp) electric motor.
- Rolls-Royce has unveiled an ultra-limited version of the Phatom Coupe at the Pebble Beach called, the Phantom Coupe Aviator Collection. Only 35 of these special edition cars will be made in honour of Charles Stewart Rolls (co-founder of Rolls Royce), who had passion for flying and was only the second person in Britain to have a pilot license. Click Here for More
- McLaren has built a one-off car called, the X-1 concept, which is on display at the Pebble Beach. The car made for company’s undisclosed (certainly wealthy) client, is based on the same platform and engine that underpins the MP4-12C. The X-1 concept is striking and certainly super exclusive – though we are not sure if it is timeless and elegant, as demanded by the client.
- Fiat has added another variant to the 2013 Fiat 500 range. The version slots between the fully-tuned ferocious Abarth 500 and the docile small car, with a 1.4-litre turbocharged MultiAir engine producing 135bhp. Unfortunately, we will not get this car in India – at least not till Fiat considers locally assembling the 500.
- Mercedes-Benz is the first luxury manufacturer to open a showroom in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. The dealership called, SRM Smart Hoops Ltd, will display full range of Mercedes Benz cars starting from Rs 32 lakh going up to a few crore.
- At Pebble Beach last weekend, Bentley revealed a new concept convertible to a select few, as a possible successor to the discontinued Azure. Bentley didn’t allow photography at the venue, so just sketches are doing rounds on the webosphere.
- Mercedes-Benz has inaugurated their largest workshop in the country – Auto Hangar Workshop, Mumbai. Spread over 1,00,000 sq.ft. the center has 54 dedicated bays capable of servicing 60 cars each day. This is also the biggest facility by any luxury car maker in the country. Click Here for More
The CarWale Daily Fuel is your quick daily dose of automotive news from India and around the world. If you want to know whatever's in the news but want it short and sweet, here's your solution.