I had a long time dream of owning a big and muscular SUV, something like Fortuner, Endeavour, Pajero, etc. However, these were very expensive and out of my budget. Innova doesn't have SUV look, Creta and Jeep Compass are not as big as I wanted.
Hence the only other options I had was XUV500 and Hexa. Yes, considering its size and muscular look, I felt Mahindra XUV500 is the car I was looking for!!! So, at last I went ahead and bought my dream car XUV500, though many did not agree with my decision. However, after using the car for few days, I realised why no one was recommending this car, and really surprised how Mahindra was able to sell such a big vehicle for such a low price.
Now I am regretting for the obvious drawbacks listed bellow, but it is too late. Hope this will help at least a few others who are in the dilemma whether to go for XUV, Hexa, Innova, Creta or Compass. My recommendation, like others, definitely not XUV500!!!
1. Overall drive experience is not at all comfortable and smooth. One can feel every pot holes and bumps on the road, and vehicle rolls side ways. Mahindra still has not improved the suspension for its price segment.
2. Gear shift is not smooth, first gear in particular. Some times multiple tries required to shift to first gear.
3. Some parts of the body vibrates while trying to accelerate, particularly at lower gears. Also body noise is heard on uneven roads within a month of use.
4. Steering and the whole body starts vibrating when the speed nearing 120Kmh.
5. Auto AC climate control is not really automatic. For instance auto AC set at optimum temperature 22 deg., inside temperature is not comfortable, either cold or warm based on outside temperature. Need to keep adjusting the temperature manually.
6. AC vent mode can not be changed in auto mode. Also, one can not predict whether inside or outside air option is selected when auto AC mode is turned on.
7. Did not understand the difference between auto and manual AC modes. Even in manual mode temperature needs to be set, but blower speed can be changed.
8. Last row seat is complete useless. Only kids can manage to sit. No space to keep even a single airbag with rear seat in upright position.
9. Boot space with folded rear seat is bit slanted up. This makes luggage sliding back and front on acceleration and breaking, which is very annoying. Never go for an open boot space.
10. Shoe touches the steering rod while engaging the clutch, and one can feel steering rod rotating while turning left/right with clutch applied.
11. Previously set Music/phone volume level is not retained. Volume needs to be adjusted for every restart.
12. Radio/Music can not be turned off with navigation ON. Only volume can be muted/reduced to low
13. Auto start/stop option can never be turned off permanently. It gets turned on again after restart of the vehicle.
14. Vehicle can not be brought to half ignition position from start position using Engine start/stop button. It can only be turned off completely and then press the ignition button again to half ignition, which means infotainment system also turns off.
15. Trip meter can not be set to Trip A or trip B position permanently. It always changes back to total reading position on restart of the vehicle.
16. Dim/Dip doesn't work in auto light mode. Also no head/parking light ON alarm on turning off the engine.
17. One can not predict when the feature "hold vehicle going back for few seconds on up hill" works. Sometimes works and sometimes not.
18. Low quality leather seat cover. Marks of black dirt within a month of usage.
19. Bluetooth/Android auto doesn't work as expected always. You need to disconnect and connect the phone again sometimes for it to work properly.
20. With display off option selected for touch screen, screen is completely off, which means no time and date is displayed. Also time displayed is not always correct when sync from GPS is selected.
21. Windshield fog doesn't get cleared easily with AC pointing to windshield, especially when it rains. Hence the visibility is bad.
22. Headrest monitor (if installed) video turns off and doesn't turn on automatically on turning on the engine from half ignition state.
23. Turning off of infotainment system is not convenient. Need to press the volume button for long time.