Please Tell Us Your City

Knowing your city will help us provide relevant content to you.

Sorry! No matching results found. Try again.Error Identifying Your Location.

Please enter your password
Please enter your registered email

Or Login with

Please enter your name
+91
Please enter your mobile number
Please enter your password

Please tell us your city

Knowing your city helps us provide relevant content for you

No city match.
Ad

A good blend of power, economy and build...

A user review on Mahindra Bolero. Written by mayank1981 on 17 June, 2009

Price: ₹ 7.49 - 9.42L
mayank1981's Ratings
Own a Mahindra Bolero?
Help others make an informed buying decision.

• Overall
Version Reviewed : VLX CRDe
Good : Powerful engine, fuel economy, enough torque, ac is good, solid attitude,
Bad : Handling, rear seat feels like bench, poor cd player, colour tone..

First I planned to buy a mid size car within this price tag, but i always had been a fan of SUVs and when came to know about bolero Crde, instantly without any second thought i made up mind and bought it and know what? I am quite happy for the decision I made.
This variant offer all those basic needs power steering, power windows central locking, cd player etc. the things that i needed don't really need a computer to tell me how to drive... :-)

I live in delhi but had to drive often to lucknow which is 500 kms away. I chosed this route NH-2 which is pretty decent. VLX has strong Crde engine which at no point of time had disappointed me, be it the city or the highway. Without any extra efforts I had hitted the speed of 135 km/hour with ac on & wished to explore more but then the traffic was a problem, the engine is powerful and if you will pull, u will feel the power of torque. For performane I will give 4.5 out of 5.

It don't have rear ac vents but didn't bothered me at all, coz at temperature of 42 outside they did pretty well only first 15 minutes i had to blast off the fan at 3 and then lowered to speed 1 for the rest of my journey.

The front two seats are decent as they are adjustable, but didnt liked much rear bench type seat, it could have been much better which I am planning to make modifiaction. For comfort I will 4 out 5.

Mahindra need to focus on handling, all i can say is ok and thanks to 215/70*15 tyres which gives a good grip on the road.

Mileage is decent from this big giant which was around 11-12 kmpl in AC on with that cruising speed.

I think this is one rock solid build to which one can do lots of modifications, get a good Music system, good set of alloys and fatter tyre at rear, will give a new meaning to Bolero and its standard. And who cares cause when i drive this, it gives me hell out of attitude ;-)
If I have to describe this alcohol I will say, " as strong as tequilla, as smooth as vodka, as Powerful as rum, as mature as whiskey but not a champagne"

Mayank on 04 Apr, 2010 at 07:45 PM

Hi Pushkin,

Congratulations on your new buy Laughing, I am sure you can now explore the most of the highway...

well to all the bolero owners I have heard about Bilstein b6 dampers, they can be easily planted on bolero which gives a better handling and stability to the vehicle.

If anybody can tell ur more about this product are welcome to post there view

Pushkin on 25 Mar, 2010 at 07:01 PM

Dear Mayank & prospective Bolero byuers,

I'd like to second Mayank's views on the Bolero. While selecting a car, we all usually look at some basic parameters viz. Looks, Power, Engine type & capacity (cc), how is the brand image in the market and the resale value etc..

I have been an automobile buff since I was a child and when it comes to taking a decision on a car, I do go a step beyond and then analyse the options..

The Bolero (be it the 63HP MDI TC engine or the 97 HP CRDE) offers a lot to the market. This is more of a one stop shop for most of our expectations. The Bolero has proven this fact by not only being around for more than a decade but also the consistent jumps in its sales figures. This displays the  Value that it offers to the buyers as it is a multi role vehicle. People usually shy away from buying this vehicle due to its CRUDE looks, inadiquate space and spartan interiors. What most of them forget is that the Bolero is made to take what the Indian roads dole out in great proportion - Potholes, Severe changes in temperature and humidity and the by being basic, spartan and low on whistles it ensures that while its buyers enjoy the basics like Power steering, windows, AC & a good paint job they also reap the benefits of an extremely low COST OF OWNERSHIP.

A lower price package ensures that the Insurance premiums are low, lower specs mean there are fewer things that will go wrong (if they do, they usually cost much less than other MUVs). Take for instance a 40,000 km service, in comparison to say an Innova or a Scorpio it will cost you at least 50% lesser to maintain.

The vehicle's size is also a + for its buyers - its easily managable on crowded roads as well as open highways, the visibility is fantastic. Not to forget the great mileage it gives when driven between 2000 to 2500 rpm on the overdrive.

There are numerous more benefits that one can think of and I shall share more on this thread if you find this review interesting..

I had been thinking of changing my 2006 Ford Fiesta to maybe a Scorpio or an Innova, both of these would have gotten me down by Rs. 10,00,000 at least. I test drove the Bolero VLX and made up my mind. Yes, it is smaller, crampier and to some it also is an 'OLD HEN' but it has attitude, it delivers what it promises with aplomb, first time, everytime.

The waiting period and the growing popularity of the Bolero speak for the vehicle and as we all know / understand from our day to day life: There more credibility in ACTION than WORDS. Other vechiles' brochures may be glossy & glitzy, they may have pictures of Happy families with beautiful girls.. but they don't match up to the performance of the Bolero and probably never will.

Mahindra has been doing its two bits on the Bolero over the years and had they done a 10 bit job, it would have probably been selling with glossy brochures too : )

No offence to any car here, but I sincerely feel that the Indian customers are being led to DRILL HOLES in their pockets when they can actually use their pocket change to get what they want.

Mine is being delivered next week & I can hardly wait.

Ciao!

Pushkin Ahuja.

Ramesh on 28 Sep, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Good review....well said

Mayank on 17 Jun, 2009 at 03:34 PM

I have written a review on Mahindra Bolero and look forward to your comments on it.

Review Link: A good blend of power, economy and build...