- Compact vehicle will be slotted below T-Cross
- MQB-A0 underpinned
- Aims to take on the Honda WR-V, Chevrolet Beat Aktiv, Ford KA+ Active, Toyota Etios Cross and Hyundai i20 Active
- Likely to revive Cross Polo badge
- Will be developed and designed with Brazilian market as home base
- Could be considered for India once T-Cross is launched
The SUV/crossover race is going big and Volkswagen looks to be one of the major forces that will launch such models globally over the next few years. The German automaker, in 2016, announced that it would launch 19 SUVs as a part of its expansion plan.
The lowest in that rung will be a crossover that will sit under the T-Cross. Where the latter is being developed to take on the Hyundai Creta, Renault Duster and Honda HR-V, this one will go a notch lower. It will be their competitor for vehicles the size of compact SUVs in India. The car is likely to revive the Cross Polo moniker but hopefully this time Volkswagen will put more muscle into the design as compared to the previous car.
The company has hinted that it has no plans for a sub T-Cross vehicle in India but with demand growing for SUV/crossovers and VW’s India plans spread out over the next 3 years, it’s difficult to predict anything right now.