Please Tell Us Your City

Knowing your city will help us provide relevant content to you.

Sorry! No matching results found. Try again. Error Identifying Your Location.

Log in to CarWale

Please enter your password
Please enter your registered email

Sign up to CarWale

Please enter your name
Please enter your mobile number
Please enter your password
Please enter your password

Please tell us your city

Knowing your city helps us provide relevant content for you

No city match.

Road Tax, Registration etc.

#1 03-Jun, 2009 02:50 PM
Rokkam Kumar Rao
New Arrival
Joined Date: 03 Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1
Likes: 0

Dear experts,

I am a senior manager of public sector bank.  Recently I have been transferred and I brought my car from Jharkhand.  I paid Octroi in the month of December 2008 and I obtained NOC from the RTO/Bokaro-Jharkhand for transfer to Mumbai. 

Now, my question is :  1.  Have I to pay Life time Road Tax again at Mumbai ?

                                2.  Have I to get new registration number of Maharastra ?

                                 3.  Are there any previlege to PSU employees who gets frequent     

                                     transfers ?

Rokkam Kumar Rao

Rokkam Kumar Rao
0 members liked this post
#2 03-Jun, 2009 03:38 PM
Anshu Jha
Joined Date: 26 Feb 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1447
Likes: 84

Hello Rokkam,

Welcome to Carwale. Answer to your queries:

1. Generally it is paid for life time. If you are sure that you wont be staying longer, say 3-5 years, then there are options of paying road tax for certain period. However, it is different for different state. So kindly check this with a good knowledgeable RTO agent in Mumbai.

2. Again, the same theory applies, if you know that you are not going to move out of Mumbai, pay the lifetime tax and get the number changed. If not, then look for the above option and just pay the tax and octroi, as applicable. No need to get the number changed. However, note that you would be prone to frequent stoppage by traffic police seeing an out of state car. But then, if papers are issues. Do make special note to the RTO agent that you dont want to change the number, else they would fill up the form and apply for the same and you pay some extra amount for that.

3. When it comes to RTO, there is nothing called privilege. Infact if you are not asked for bribe, feel privileged ;-)

Hope this helps. Cheers

EDIT: Spellings corrected

Those who claim that they know everything do not know what they dont know.
Last Updated: 03-Jun, 2009 03:39 PM, by SolitaireKing
0 members liked this post
#3 03-Jun, 2009 09:35 PM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 13623
Likes: 208

Taxes are payable afresh on relocating to other state.  Some states have provision / accept 1-year tax for temp. relocation not exceeding 1 year.  I think Maharashtra does not have such provision - but does permit refund of life-time tax paid on relocating back within a year.

In your case, as I guess... the relocation would be for more than a year & you may not be relocating back to Jharkhand in particular.  As per rules, you have to get the vehicle re-registered at Mumbai by paying life-time tax (as applicable to old vehicles on depreciated value assessed by RTO).

Based on the re-registration & taxes paid afresh (Mumbai), you can seek pro-rata refund of life-time tax paid earlier (Jharkhad) - a cumbersome job.

Not all transferable people pay taxes & get re-registrations done each time they relocate - they 'manage'.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.
0 members liked this post
Ask the experts 1800 2090 230 Mon-Fri & Sun (10 AM - 7 PM)
Sat (10 AM - 5:30 PM)
Toll free

Select your city to avail offers

Currently available only in