Identifying your location...

Are you from Mumbai?

Yes No

Please Tell Us Your City

Knowing your city will help us provide relevant content to you.

Sorry! No matching results found. Try again. Error Identifying Your Location.

Please enter your password
Please enter your registered email

Please enter your name
+91
Please enter your mobile number

Please tell us your city

Knowing your city helps us provide relevant content for you

No city match.
Ad

Share an Experience of FATAL Miss!!!

Pages : 1234567
#31 10-Feb, 2011 06:02 PM
Master
Legend
Joined Date: 09 Oct 2008

@sri: That was indeed a scary experience. BTW good to hear from you after a long time & you did come out with a bang Foot in mouth. In my Vento post I had mentioned few days back that I now intend to reduce my speed between 80 to 120 km/hr during vapi trip. Road due to construction work have become unpredictable & one certainly need plenty of time to react. I still was a bit carried away on my way back from Vapi , but will try & stick to my resolution Undecided.

@ Thanks Bhavin for your support. This just reminded me of my drive in lovely old Premier Padmini. I had just started driving & was asked to drop one of our relative to the Mumbai International Airport. I was really excited. We were around 5 of us in car. On my way back , people from Mumbai will be able to recollect that there is huge curvy road from departure. This was one of my first drive & I reached speed of around 45km/hr which kept increasing on slope. I took on the first curve & thought thats it... Its over now, but to my surprise it was almost like half circle & it continued furthur. I had no clue & had already reached a speed of 70km/hr. At that point of time I thought that I will certainly ramm in to the wall , but some how I managed to keep car away from the walls...

& here I am pledging my self not to drive fast Tongue out

Good things in life are never too expensive.....So called Best things May be.....
0 members liked this post

#32 11-Feb, 2011 05:16 PM
Sankalp
Joined Date: 28 Mar 2009

A REAL FATAL MISS!

Dad was driving the SX4 on Kolar-Bangy Highway, got a call on his phone and pulled the vehicle to the side. He finished the call and we started off again. We were just 50m away from our starting point and we saw a very fast approaching tempo. He didn notice a pile of material on his side of the road and went over it, right in front of us, and with the same speed, he went next to us at a 45 degree angle, balancing over two wheels and then crash landed on the spot where we had stopped previoulsy. This was the most dangerous confrontation till date!

Return of petrol power!!

#33 12-Feb, 2011 10:13 AM
Master
Legend

@Sankalp:That was scary as well.

I am missing Solitair king(Anshu's) post here.

Com on Anshu. I am sure you have a lot to share here.

Good things in life are never too expensive.....So called Best things May be.....

#34 23-May, 2011 05:21 PM
Surya Markandeyan
Beloved
Joined Date: 28 Mar 2011

I wanted to mention a scary incident here, yday i was driving my New ALTO K10 with my sister and 4 chilren on board in Chennai Beach road, I had to stop my car at a signal that was switching from orange to red within 15 feet, so i slowed down and stopped it. The MTC A/c bus which was coming behind, instead of stopping behind us , just took a swerve to the right in a split second and overtook me so closely and jumped the signal ( eventhough it was showing red). My family was shocked to see how close he came to our car and overtook us.)

Being a new car owner and driver, this has left me really scared.

ALTO K10 VXI Dhantenan - Let's Go

#35 24-May, 2011 03:07 PM
Kiran
Long-termer
Joined Date: 17 Feb 2009

While coming back from office on Saturday, I was crossing over bridge on right lane. Suddenly, loader rickshaw coming from opposite side lost his balance and coming to me with speed and driver was not able to control it.  (later on, I saw that rear driver side wheel of rickshaw broken down) 

I was not in position to understand or recognize what is happening but to turn left. Though, it smashed my side mirror and scratches entire drive side of car from front bumper, doors and tail light Cry.

All I could say, It could have been massive accident and heavy damage if I couldn't turned take my car left.

Wagon R | Ford Fiesta | Fiat Linea

#36 24-May, 2011 08:52 PM
Master
Legend

Hey Kiran , Extreemly sorry to hear about your car but happy to know that you are safe.

Take care.

#37 25-May, 2011 10:46 AM
Surya Markandeyan
Beloved

It's so painfull to see our vehicle damaged for no fault of us driving, To add to this injury we have to run around for claiming insurance and repairing the car to get it back in shape. ( the stress and pain we undergo witthout our own vehicle and trying to commute in public transport is again a woeful story)

Kiran, hope you will get your vehicle back in good shape and have a safe and happy journey.

#38 25-May, 2011 01:51 PM
Anand Chakrapani
Best-seller
Joined Date: 20 May 2010

I remember an incident long long ago, when I was just out of college. It was the night of 31st December and I - along with my friends - were walking along the EEH at Chembur towards a hotel for some revelry. On the highway, we saw an Omni van in the 1st lane suddenly veering towards the 2nd lane to overtake a truck which was ahead of it on the 1st lane. However, the Omni ended up hitting the left rear of the truck, veered dangerously towards the left and came to a halt on the far left side, towards where we were walking.

We all rushed towards the van; traffic on the highway stopped and within seconds there were a lot of people all trying to remove the people trapped inside the van. There were a couple on a scooter who stopped near the van and the lady riding pillion got down and rushed towards the van. The scene inside was all bloody and the driver must have taken the brunt of the crash. I - chivalrously - tried to stop the lady and requested her to step away. She showed no signs of moving away from the crash site. At some point, she got exasperated and screame at me, "F*%# You, I'm a Doctor, will you f*@#ing allow me to check those b*(@#$@s?

I was too shocked to react for some time.

Anyway, we did whatever we could, halted a tempo on the highway, got all the passengers on the tempo and I went with the temp to the Rajawadi hospital. The doctors and police there were very helpful, took down my statement and then allowed me to leave and join my friends. 

#39 25-May, 2011 02:07 PM
Surya Markandeyan
Beloved

Anand, you did a good thing by helping the people in the accident. ( take the positive )

On the other day when i was riding my bike, saw a small stray dog hit by a scooter in its legs. It was alive , just that it could not move because of the shock and it was looking for help from someone to put it aside on the platform, but including me none of them stopped and they avoided running on it and swerved and went their way.

i was turning back and looking at the helpless animal for a minute. Eventhough my heart was wanting to help it, but i had concerns of where to park in the middle of the traffic and how to pick it up from the road and all that, so i too, feel ashamed, like all others left the scene with heavy heart saying to myself that it's fate is to be in that situation.

I feel very sorry for that dog and also cursing myself of not being helpful in that situation.

#40 25-May, 2011 03:20 PM
Anand Chakrapani
Best-seller
Joined Date: 20 May 2010

I've been witness to several accidents and in each of the cases, there were a lot of people who would assemble immediately and provide help. In most cases, I also join in and so far there has been no harassment from the hospital staff or police. On the contrary, I've found them all to be very helpful.

Last year, we were travelling to Goa on the NH17 and on the way (I forgot the name of the village now), I saw a mini bus ahead hit a cycle on the road. The bus didn't even bother to stop. I told my friend to stop (he was driving the car), we all got down and rushed towards where the cyclist had fallen down. He was bleeding from his head. Soon, villages gathered nearyby, a rickshaw pulled up. A lady from the village came and declared that he was not from this village and must be a guest of someone. The rickshaw guy agreed to take him to the hospital. A policeman on a bike came there soon (he was patrolling this stretch), took our statements and let us all go. I gave Rs. 100 to the rickshaw guy to take him to this hospital and since the wounded guy had regained consciousness and started talking, we left him in the care of the policeman and the kind villagers and continued our journey to Goa.

I remember some months back on the Pune Mumbai expressway, just before the food court on the way to Mumbai, I saw a Swift cut in half and some passengers and seats thrown outside. I saw some people helping a passenger (possibly the driver or  co-passenger) come out the car. I had my wife and a 4 year old kid with me and this was the only reason why I didn't stop, since help was already being rendered to them. I called up the highway police number from my cell, informed them about the accident and they said, someone is already on the way as they have already received this info. They thanked me for the call and I continued my trip to Mumbai.

#41 26-May, 2011 10:03 AM
Kiran
Long-termer

Insurance company replaced front door and repainted entire side. Now, it looks as it was earlier....

Insurance company calculates depreciation based on which, I have to bear some amount of it.

#42 18-Aug, 2011 05:51 PM
Surya Markandeyan
Beloved

Yesterday, it was my relative's family ( about 8 members ) who were returning from Vishakapatnam, anakapally to Hyderabad in the evening by Scorpio

Around 4:30pm on the highway , believe they were speeding and had encountered an un-expected pothole on the road, the driver ( i believe my cousin ) swerved it to avoid getting into the pothole, result car toppled and did 3 dives . ( heard it from my cousin's words describing the accident scene)

I think God only saved them and heard from him at around 7pm that none of the members were hurt badly and there were just some bruises.

But kudos to Mahindra for this sturdy vehicle, it has saved valuable lives.

#43 18-Aug, 2011 06:06 PM
Sankalp

OT, but the scorpio is very prone to roll-overs. Usually, if I hear an about a scorpio accident, it will be a roll-over. Owners must know the high stance of the car and must keep the speed within limits. The build is sturdy and hence helps, but the handling is worse.

Return of petrol power!!

#44 18-Aug, 2011 07:37 PM
Rohit
Joined Date: 10 Nov 2008

Its the high ground clearance that is responsible. IMO SUVs made for Indian roads will be prone to this.

S = k.I^2, where S is the amount of stupidity a species possesses, I is the intelligence the species has and k is the universal constant of stupidity.

#45 19-Aug, 2011 09:47 AM
Kiran
Long-termer

Oh..Thank god no injuries...

I observed the same found Scorpio owners replacing thicker tires.. Is it for the same reason ?

TATA Sumo was also prone to tumbled for sharp turning..

#46 19-Aug, 2011 03:16 PM
Bhavin Shah
Best-seller
Joined Date: 12 Aug 2008

@ sunsril, thank god your relatives are saved. I think driver has learnt a lesson..

Yes scorpio is prone to topple due to higher stance.

@ kiran, nice to hear from you since long.. Kepp it up. I request, do participate in other threads too.

#47 19-Aug, 2011 03:23 PM
Sankalp

Posted by kiran.joshi

I observed the same found Scorpio owners replacing thicker tires.. Is it for the same reason ?

Thicker tyres can increase road grip. This will help in preventing the car from skidding off the road in a corner. But in the case of the scorpio, its a combination of Soft suspension + High COG + High GC. Add to it the possibility of a luggage carrier on top, which further shifts the COG higher. This will roll the car no matter what tyres the car has. Only that the prescence of a wider tyre MAY PREVENT this to a SMALL EXTENT by retaining road grip. 

A harder suspension + a little bit of weight balancing will improve the situation.

Return of petrol power!!

#48 19-Aug, 2011 04:05 PM
Mahesh
Beloved
Joined Date: 21 Jul 2011

might seem to be off topic - but cannot the company guys think on this & while bringing the next version rectify the issues found in earlier version?

#49 19-Aug, 2011 04:53 PM
Kiran
Long-termer

@ kiran, nice to hear from you since long.. Kepp it up. I request, do participate in other threads too.

Yes Bhavin, I am trying to get back into driver seat

#50 19-Aug, 2011 05:16 PM
Rohit

Posted by Macsvin
might seem to be off topic - but cannot the company guys think on this & while bringing the next version rectify the issues found in earlier version?
The way it works if they make the suspension hard it will affect comfort. Somehow the mentality here is that if its a big car (or SUV) it should be comfortable (especially if its expensive). Soft suspension and good handling are sort of opposites - improve one and the other degrades. Now, given the Indian buyers' mentality, if the SUV makers make the suspension hard it risks damaging their sales - I mean people will say "why should I buy so-and-so for 7-8 lacs and not get a comfortable ride?". As simple as that. This is especially true for vehicles like Scorpio/Xylo/Safari/Sumo. Not sure, but I feel Innova/Tavera are probably somewhat better because of their lengths. No one can truly blame the manufacturer because they gave the car a soft suspension and then it rolled over - driver should understand the risks of driving at speed and be sensitive to the vehicle's dynamics (feel the vehicle, that is). You can't expect every thing to be taken care of by the car, right?

S = k.I^2, where S is the amount of stupidity a species possesses, I is the intelligence the species has and k is the universal constant of stupidity.
Last Updated: 19-Aug, 2011 05:24 PM, by rohit.b.d.

#51 19-Aug, 2011 06:30 PM
Sankalp

Nicely put up Rohit. Yes, the Innova and tavera(to some extent) are definitely better handlers than the rest of the lot. Though M&M have brought a lot of improvements to the suspension and handling, its some drivers who do not understand the limits of their cars. Not all drivers, but some drive real rash in such cars.

Return of petrol power!!

#52 23-Aug, 2011 09:50 AM
Kiran
Long-termer

Rohit,
You have rightly said "Feel the vehicle" and it gives you response well...

#53 06-Feb, 2012 12:12 AM
Ravi Kishore
Road-tested
Joined Date: 31 Jan 2007

Hi All,

Whenever I was thinking about carwale.com while driving,I get one idea to share some safety issues which I faced and witnessed.I dont know whether anybody likes this idea or not.Being a part of a corporate company's safety systems and one of the world's best practises I would always like to apply the same to this kind of forums.

To be more clear,I want to request some of the accidents I have seen,escaped (nearmiss) and I did.What I did,I have already posted before but there were two incidents ( one 3 yrs back and one recently) which I strongly wish to share.Normally any vehicle accident/incident is 3 types.The main reason behind this is the most of the nearmisses could have become accidents which we can prevent by educating/alerting others.Accidents are always published in papers.

Nearmiss: Just missed by timely action/by luck.

Incident: For eg; accident happened but no loss of property/lives.

Accidents: Incident with loss of property/persons.

Speed guns can detect the speed but what can detect the accident?

#54 06-Feb, 2012 12:30 AM
Ravi Kishore
Road-tested
Joined Date: 31 Jan 2007

Recent one: I was driving to my office in the afternoon time.After travelling 25 km,I have to take a Left hand turn ( here our car is on RHS) on a two way road.So I was waiting near the turn (which is open with markings) as I saw two trucks coming in the opposite direction in the other lane.It is normal,so I waited but suddenly my sixth sense said something wrong.When I closely looked at the trucks,the second one is trying to overtake the first one at high speed that means he will ram onto me.Suddenly the first truck ( It is a very long container) took a right turn ( means his RHS) so the next truck cannot overtake in a normal way.To avoid hitting the turning container,the second truck came into the other lane where I was waiting.I blinked the lights to alert this driver but there is no time as we are hardly 100 yards away.I just took steep right turn and gave him way and made a half circle to escape this guy.Luckily,there is no vehicle at my back or on my RHS.I wanted to stop this guy but he was already running faster.As you know,here we have very good markings and space on the the roads to take left turns but what is the use if one such guy did like this.

After that I again checked the place,whether I was in wrong place or unnecessarily afraid but no.He might think that he could turn his tipper truck without hitting but I could say it was a rare chance.One good thing was before to this incident,I read somewhere that the trucks ( with vertical/straight glasses) have a very long blind zone in the front.

Speed guns can detect the speed but what can detect the accident?
Last Updated: 06-Feb, 2012 12:30 AM, by prava1980

#55 07-Feb, 2012 03:13 PM
Surya Markandeyan
Beloved

This is very scary, i can't assume how you escaped, eventhough you did a steep right turn, there is this other truck guy who was coming straight right ?

Even though there maybe 10% of careful and rule observing drivers, the other 90% is the common one and we cannot avoid from them right ?

#56 08-Feb, 2012 12:21 PM
Sarthak Gupta
Long-termer
Joined Date: 22 Feb 2011

About 6 months back, I was returning from office and cruising over NH3 (known as Agra Bombay road or AB road locally). At one particular point there is a small bridge without any side rails and also the road divider is completely broken down over that particular section. I was passing that section at about 40 kmph when I noticed that a stationary motorcycle standing at the edge of road wants to crossover from my side of road to other side across the divider and that too at right angles to me. I honked to signal him about my passing but he didn't listened and started crossing and within a flash was right in front of me. I applied brakes full on and steered to left. The wheels got locked and car skided towards the side of bridge with no railing. I steered to right, the car swevered to right, jumped over the broken divider, narrowly missed the oncoming truck and stopped at the other side of the bridge at hailline distance from bridge's side. If the car wouldn't have stopped, I would have toppled over into the canal that flows underneath.

I got saved three times - First the car didn't toppled bridge on my side of the road. Second, car missed the truck and third, car didn't toppled bridge over the other side. 

Lessons learned:

1. Never turn the steering while braking. Just keep your line. (Very difficult to do).

2. Control your speed.

3. Always buy a car with ABS in it. NEVER COMPROMISE ON SAFETY FEATURES.

4. Go for the largest width tyres possible. Fuel efficiency be damned! (Many manufactureres offer larger width tyres on their top models).

5. A slow and heavier car may be safer than a fast, lightweight and zippy car. 

Last Updated: 08-Feb, 2012 12:26 PM, by sarthakgupta

#57 08-Feb, 2012 02:11 PM
Surya Markandeyan
Beloved

WOW!, this is real scary... I feel God was with you and saved you from this danger.

It is rather difficult to apply brake on an inclining bridge, otherwise you could have waited and braked for the bike guy to cross.

Howerver, thanks for sharing your experience.

#58 08-Feb, 2012 04:32 PM
Sarthak Gupta
Long-termer
Joined Date: 22 Feb 2011

I never thought that the motorcycle guy wouldn't hear my horn. I was close by to him.

It is not an inclined bridge. Its a straight, 4 laned bridge over a canal with no side railings and broken road divider in the middle. My car swerved from one side of bridge, then jumped over the broken road divider in the middle, landing on the oncoming traffic's lane (missing the truck) and reached the end of bridge on oncoming traffic's side.

Mods: The blank posts is the problem of IE 9. If we enable the compatibility mode in IE 9, then the site works flawlessly.

Last Updated: 08-Feb, 2012 04:35 PM, by sarthakgupta

#59 08-Feb, 2012 05:27 PM
Rohit

Well that's why we should not brake hard - I usually try to imitate ABS action by pumpung the brake pedal a few times along with downshifting and then the final brake is applied firmly. Of course this requires that one be aware of the distance to the vehicle in front, and more importantly to decide all this requires driving at a safe distance. Which means no tailgating - I see such drivers almost everyday who drive right behind you and then when you have to stop suddenly, you find them braking even harder missing your car's rear end by a hair's breadth!

Also when you see a vehicle ahead of you that seems to be in an abnormal position (as the motorcycle) the best course of action is to slow down sufficiently (to less than 30 kmph) while passing them - so that even if you brake hard there won't be any problems of skidding or losing control.

#60 09-Feb, 2012 03:07 PM
Kiran
Long-termer

@ Rohit,

Appkly breakes at intervals make your car in line. But, we should be at safer distance at that time.. Usually, this is my practice...

#61 09-Feb, 2012 04:17 PM
Amrut
Beloved
Joined Date: 12 Feb 2009

Very useful lessons in this thread. As per my driving/riding experience, I follow some discipline  follows.

1) Never accelerate if not sure what's in front.

2) Look out in all 3 mirrors very often (many times without reason also)

3) Use brake in pumping action.

4) As soon as I feel danger slow down and immediately put to lower gear, from 5th to 3rd. 

5) decide my own limit of speed as per vehicle and never cross that limit (though road is open).

6)Never trust other road user 

7) Honk and flash light where necessary.

8) Eyes on road and hands on steering (do not bother what's going on around)

9) No mobile while driving

I had 2 near misses on bike and 1 near miss in car. Saved only by god's grace.

#62 25-May, 2012 12:41 PM
Sr
Beloved
Joined Date: 05 May 2008

Because the streets are full of IDIOTS !!!

I typed this first thing after unlocking my workstation, had a FATAL, FATAL miss today !!

Decided to 'ride' to work today rather than drive, thanks to the atrocious petrol prices.
I had my Helmet ON, strapped up.

I was doing a steady 30 kmph, straight line on the main road that passes through Bavdhan
It has a by-lane that joins this main road at a curve and just before this curve there is a huge speed-braker, my attention was on the road ahead. 
A grey swift suddenly joined the main road from this by-lane, and to my horror, instead of joining the opposite lane, he started coming fast in the wrong lane , STRAIGHT TOWARDS ME !!!

Literally a heart-in-mouth situation, I slammed my brakes hard. The bike's rear started waiving like a fish-tail, and i could hear rubber screeching and the bike was skidding.

I really thought I was done for....
Either my bike would ram into the swift and I would be tossed into the air
OR
I would fall down if I lose control as the bike was already skidding.
By god's grace neither of that happened, and I was able to stop just 2 feet short of that Swift whose front-wheels were on the Speed Breaker.

As soon as the bike stopped, I wanted to get down and give him a piece if my mind, but somehow still kept cool. I dont know what came over my mind, but I managed to not lose my temper. The first thing i looked at was the Swift's number plate:
VIP Number, with a large sticker of a prominent political party.
I could not see the face of the driver, but noticed that he was busy talking on his cellphone.

Did a split-second analysis: I'm unhurt, my bike's unhurt. he's unhurt, his car is unhurt. No one else on the road is hurt, no damage to any vehicle.
Now, even if get down and give him an advice to have some thought for other vehicles on the road (that too politely) I'm sure I would have got back some choiciest abuses hurled back at me
Worse, they could have assaulted me so I did not even look at them, (believe me, direct starting kindles road-rage) I just started my bike and calmy continued.
No verbal exchanges/nasty glaring or gestures, I rode away as if nothing has happened.
As I rode away the CEAT ad came to my mind...

THE STREETS ARE FULL OF IDIOTS !

This is my second entry on this thread, after a long, ling time... I sincerely hope that none of us will have to update this thread again. God Bless.

#63 26-May, 2012 12:25 PM
Bhavin Shah
Best-seller
Joined Date: 12 Aug 2008

Hey lucky you. I highly appreciate that you move as such, without any exchange of words and controlling your temper... This is the time when our practicality are tested and you prooved that you are sensible. Keep smiling that, an idiot can not change your luck. All the best.

Pages : 1234567
Ask the experts 1800 2090 230 (8 AM - 9 PM) Toll free