Identifying your location...

Are you from Mumbai?

Yes No

Please Tell Us Your City

Knowing your city will help us provide relevant content to you.

Sorry! No matching results found. Try again. Error Identifying Your Location.

Please enter your password
Please enter your registered email

Please enter your name
+91
Please enter your mobile number

Please tell us your city

Knowing your city helps us provide relevant content for you

No city match.
Ad

Shifted my car to Mumbai from Hyderabad. Road tax / Octroi / Registration ?

Pages : 12345678
#31 03-Jan, 2012 08:18 AM
Naresh
New Arrival
Joined Date: 02 Jan 2012

Thanks Nimit,

But can I drive this bike in Mumbai without registration (MH number plate).

Last Updated: 03-Jan, 2012 08:18 AM, by naresh.bawankar
0 members liked this post

#32 16-Jan, 2012 02:10 AM
Jitendra Vyas
New Arrival
Joined Date: 16 Jan 2012

Hi

I hv a 2007 model Maruti Dezir car registered in New Delhi and it was purchased in the name of my company. Now i hv shifted to Mumbai and planning to stay here for more than 5 year so do i have to get the registration done again in Mumbai and what is the process to get it done. What taxes and other charges i hv to pay again in Mumbai for this process.

#33 16-Jan, 2012 11:21 AM
Kamath
Best-seller
Joined Date: 30 Jul 2010

You have to pay road tax and Octroi. In addition to that you have to get the car registered in Mumbai (for stay for more than a year).

You will need an NOC from Delhi RTO for this. Not too sure if you need to get the name change done on the RC book, but if you are no longer associated with the firm then it makes sense to get the name change (it will happen only @ delhi)

Costs will depend upon the age of the car. Octroi cost is 4.5% of the book value.

Others drive to live. I Live-2-Drive!

#34 16-Jan, 2012 02:50 PM
Jitendra Vyas
New Arrival

Thanks for update.

I m associate with the same company and working from Home since we do not have any registred office location as of now.

Can u update me what all formalities and documents are required to get this car registered in Mumbai in the name of same company.

#35 16-Jan, 2012 03:20 PM
Kamath
Best-seller

If you are still with the same org, then only one step is less. i.e transfer of ownership from company to you. Rest all procedures needs to be followed.

Where in Mumbai are you? If your RTO is Andheri RTO, I can help you.

#36 18-Jan, 2012 12:52 AM
Jitendra Vyas
New Arrival

Appreciate your help.

I stay in Kandivali.

#37 18-Jan, 2012 07:40 AM
D Biswas
New Arrival
Joined Date: 18 Jan 2012

Hello everybody - I need some specific help. I'm shifting my base location from Kolkata to Mumbai during Feb 2012. I have bought a used 2008 Honda City car at Kolkata from a friend of mine, and would be shifting the car also to Mumbai. I'm buying the car at a cost of Rs. 3.20 lacs at Kolkata. I am getting the NOC done from Kolkata RTO. I need your help. How much would be my approx cost of road tax in Maharastra (Mumbai) which I have to pay. Since the transportation is paid by my company, would I still have to pay Octroi in Mumbai ? The car will be delivered to my doorstep in Mumbai by the packers & movers company directly. Need your kind assistance.

#38 18-Jan, 2012 01:31 PM
Kamath
Best-seller

Posted by JituMumbai

Appreciate your help.

I stay in Kandivali.

I have sent you a PM.

#39 18-Jan, 2012 01:35 PM
Kamath
Best-seller

Posted by Debasish.Biswas

Hello everybody - I need some specific help. I'm shifting my base location from Kolkata to Mumbai during Feb 2012. I have bought a used 2008 Honda City car at Kolkata from a friend of mine, and would be shifting the car also to Mumbai. I'm buying the car at a cost of Rs. 3.20 lacs at Kolkata. I am getting the NOC done from Kolkata RTO. I need your help. How much would be my approx cost of road tax in Maharastra (Mumbai) which I have to pay. Since the transportation is paid by my company, would I still have to pay Octroi in Mumbai ? The car will be delivered to my doorstep in Mumbai by the packers & movers company directly. Need your kind assistance.

Better to buy in Mumbai considering that you will be here for 5 yrs.

Note that if you get a car form another state, you will have to pay octroi @ Navi Mumbai/Thane toll naka if you get in via a P&M. You can choose to drive it in and pay octroi later.

Octroi cost is 4.5% of book value. Besides this you have to pay road tax and registration charges in Mumbai.

#40 18-Jan, 2012 11:53 PM
D Biswas
New Arrival
Joined Date: 18 Jan 2012

Thanks for your response. But I have 2 basic queries / clarifications to seek :-

(a) the cost of buying a 2nd hand car in Mumbai is far higher than that at Kolkata.

(b) moreover, the total kms usage in Mumbai for a 3 years old car is much high when compared to Kolkata.

I'm going to stay at Mumbai for a max of 2-3 years for my transferable job. If I get a good deal at Kolkata, and thereafter pay road tax for Maharastra, do I have to still register my car in Mumbai ? I think the RTO & police should be happy if I'm paying the Road Tax at Mumbai and then can drive around the car freely.

I've seen many DL number cars in Mumbai. They do not register their cars in Maharastra as they are on transferable jobs. They get the NOC from their own state & pay the road tax, and then keep on driving the car.

What is your suggestion please ?

#41 19-Jan, 2012 12:44 PM
Kamath
Best-seller

You can drive in the city for 10 days, without paying anything (pls keep toll receipts as proof of arrival).

If you plan to stay for a year, then paying road tax and octroi is enough. Registration not required.

If you plan to stay for more than a year, in addition to paying octroi and road tax, you have to register the car in mumbai.

This is what the rule book says. Rest is upto you.

#42 27-Mar, 2012 11:31 AM
Abhi
New Arrival
Joined Date: 27 Mar 2012

I've a weird sort of a problem. I will be buying a car in Kerala in September 2012. It is a wedding gift and hence I have to buy in Trivandrum. I currently live in Mumbai with friends and I will be moving into a rented place from september onwards. I am planning to drive the car from Trivandrum to Mumbai and then will be using it in Mumbai. I don't have a address proof in Mumbai. Will I be able to drive a car with a temp. registration from Trivandrum to Mumbai? Will it be possible to simply drive down and then register the car in Mumbai, or will I have to pay tax, get NOC from Trivandrum and then again pay tax in Mumbai. Kindly help me

#43 27-Mar, 2012 12:24 PM
Chinmaya
Best-seller
Joined Date: 03 Feb 2012

u can do a temp regn in Trivandrum and then a perm in Mumbai. 

Also u can buy it in mumbai and drive down to Trivandrum for the function.

its up to u to choose which option is more feasible and suitable by discussing with ur family.

ur rent receipt/ rental agreement/ letter from ur employer can be used as a proof of address.

#44 27-Mar, 2012 12:38 PM
Abhi
New Arrival
Joined Date: 27 Mar 2012

Posted by chinmaya.bhat

u can do a temp regn in Trivandrum and then a perm in Mumbai. 

Also u can buy it in mumbai and drive down to Trivandrum for the function.

its up to u to choose which option is more feasible and suitable by discussing with ur family.

ur rent receipt/ rental agreement/ letter from ur employer can be used as a proof of address.

Thanks for the quick reply! I've another doubt. While calculating the tax and the octroi, will they use the cost from the invoice or will they get the cost of car from a mumbai dealer. Am asking this because, the car price is around 30k more in mumbai ex-showroom

#45 27-Mar, 2012 02:39 PM
Anshu Jha
Joined Date: 26 Feb 2009

The price of the car is on the Invoice however there would be good number of taxes in Mumbai to fill the price gap

For registration, you can drive down to Mumbai with temporary registration but ensure that the same is informed well in advance to Kerala dealer so that the dealer does the temporary registration accordingly. And for address proof, if you are not able to get rent/lease agreement, you can still get your car registered by producing an affidavit from any notary authority. Contact local RTO agent and he should be able to help you for sure.

BTW, Congrats for your marriage and new car

One personal advise would be to talk to your family and buy the car in Mumbai itself, unless you are planning to take the car back to Kerala in near future.

Those who claim that they know everything do not know what they dont know.

#46 15-Apr, 2012 01:59 AM
Ved
New Arrival
Joined Date: 15 Apr 2012

I am planning to bring and drive a car from outside (Orissa to be specific) to Mumbai for less than 1 year. I learned from the above posts that I DO NOT have to register my car here, but I will need to pay octroi/road tax and I can drive my car with Orissa number plate upto a year. I am also clear about the respective costs: 8% and 4.5% respectively. All the car documents like registration, insurance, PUC, fitness certificate will continue to be from Orissa.

1) Is this correct?

2) For just paying the octroi/road tax, can you please provide a complete list of all documents that I need? I am specifically asking for a list because a driving school told me I needed a passport/voter id/LIC policy as address proof. Like any other person who has stayed for a short time, I do not have any of these documents. I have lease letter, Airtel telephone bill etc as address proofs.

3) How long does this process of paying taxes take, and how long before I can start driving my car around?

4) Do I need any NOC for this (point 2)? It is my relative's car.

5) If my stay gets extended beyond 1 year, I will need to register here. What all documents will be required for that?

Please help me with the above queries, as I want to be able to get my car here as soon as possible.

#47 15-Apr, 2012 05:38 AM
Chinmaya
Best-seller

dear Ved,

If u can prove to the cops that u are a tourist and visiting the city for less than 3 months, then they cannot penalise u or force u to register or pay tax when they stop u.

u dont need the NOC to pay one yr road tax. but it ll be needed if u want to transfer the car to ur name, re register in a different state.

ur latest telephone bill & lease letter shall be sufficient. if the RTO asks for Affidavit for Lease letter then get it done.

there wont be problem if u drive immediately. paying taxes may take a few hours.

for stay more than 11 months u need to re register in Mumbai with MH regn. and pay lifetime tax. u can get it refunded from Odisha RTO. 

#48 15-Apr, 2012 05:39 AM
Chinmaya
Best-seller

dear Ved,

If u can prove to the cops that u are a tourist and visiting the city for less than 3 months, then they cannot penalise u or force u to register or pay tax when they stop u.

u dont need the NOC to pay one yr road tax. but it ll be needed if u want to transfer the car to ur name, re register in a different state.

ur latest telephone bill & lease letter shall be sufficient. if the RTO asks for Affidavit for Lease letter then get it done.

there wont be problem if u drive immediately. paying taxes may take a few hours.

for stay more than 11 months u need to re register in Mumbai with MH regn. and pay lifetime tax. u can get it refunded from Odisha RTO. 

#49 15-Apr, 2012 06:48 PM
Ved
New Arrival

Thank you for your prompt reply Chinmaya.

I actually plan to stay for more than 3 months anyway, so I should probably pay the tax, to be clear of the law . So, you say that no documents/NOC are required for paying the taxes?

So, any documents will be required only when I am trying to re-register the car? (if I stay beyond 11 months) - in which case I anyway have a lot of time to get some document made, plus to get the NOC from Orissa RTO.

#50 16-Apr, 2012 01:19 PM
Ved
New Arrival

Also a follow-up to the previous question: Can anyone give me the info/contact of some agent/driving school that can help me pay the taxes, or with the registration? I am guessing that personally going to the RTO will involve some hassles, am I right?

#51 16-Apr, 2012 08:43 PM
Chinmaya
Best-seller

personally going with all the documents and showing it to concerned officer is the best option. u ll get first hand information on procedure , fees, time etc.

#52 16-Apr, 2012 09:22 PM
Ved
New Arrival

Yes, you are right, thanks again for all the info...

#53 06-Jun, 2012 10:50 AM
Pradeep
New Arrival
Joined Date: 06 Jun 2012

Hi All,

Thanks for the wonderful information sharing. I have a Sep 2010 registered Haryana vehicle. I have already got the NOC for same and have brought it to Mumbai. Its a Hyundai i10.

I went to an agent for knowing how to change registration. He told me the charges will be as follows:

Car Invoice Value:

Price of Car: 417,285

VAT/LST: 54,769

Total Invoice Value of Car: Rs 472,054

Depreciation applicable for car more than one year old but less than 2 years old: 97.2% (I thought this is crazy high, anyone can validate this?)

Road Tax + Octroi: 11.5% (7%+4.5%)

Broker Agency fees: Rs 5500

Total Amount: 472054*97.2%*11.5%+5500 = ~58,300 Rs

I am psyched that I need to pay so much.

- Can someone validate the 97.2% number?

- Also, is the broker agency fees reasonable? 

Also, many have advised me that it would be much cheaper to just pay off 100-200 Rs whenever someone catches. I am confused. Any opinions. I might be in Mumbai for 4-5 years.

#54 07-Jun, 2012 12:04 PM
Anshu Jha
Joined Date: 26 Feb 2009

The calculation and/or the price mentioned is correct. However on agents fees, I guess its always negotiable and you can bargain with agent to reduce it for you.

The depriciation in terms of %age is visible only after car is some 2.5 to 3 yrs old, hence a 97% should be correct figure.

On paying 100 or 200, thats possible only till they take away your RC and/or driving license. Once they take away the RC and all, you need to pay road tax and then get the RC back. Its a bigger pain and its better to pay the road tax.

Those who claim that they know everything do not know what they dont know.

#55 21-Jun, 2012 11:55 AM
Ashish
New Arrival
Joined Date: 21 Jun 2012

Hi

Gone through the thread and have a futher query which I cannot find any answers to

My car is 2004 and AP registration and recently shifted to Mumbai.  I would like to pay the road tax and registration as necessary for the car .

Previously I was informed that Cars which do not comply to Bharat II are not registered anymore ( in Pune atleast) which means my car could not be registered in Pune.  Is this applicable in Mumbai as well?

( ie  - I end up paying road tax & octroi  but the car is not registered and retains the AP registration?)

#56 21-Jun, 2012 11:56 AM
Ashish
New Arrival
Joined Date: 21 Jun 2012

Hi

Gone through the thread and have a futher query which I cannot find any answers to

My car is 2004 and AP registration and recently shifted to Mumbai.  I would like to pay the road tax and registration as necessary for the car .

Previously I was informed that Cars which do not comply to Bharat II are not registered anymore ( in Pune atleast) which means my car could not be registered in Pune.  Is this applicable in Mumbai as well?

( ie  - I end up paying road tax & octroi  but the car is not registered and retains the AP registration?)

#57 22-Jun, 2012 01:19 AM
Chinmaya
Best-seller

take the documents to the concerned RTO and get ur queries clarified in detail. But as per my knowledge the  Bharat stage rule applies to some 30 major cities.

#58 08-Aug, 2012 01:01 PM
Midhun
New Arrival
Joined Date: 08 Aug 2012

Hi,

I'd got a car registered in Kerala in March 2012.I want to shift it to Mumbai.I will have to use the car about one year.The worth of the car [Beat Diesel] is 560000 including tax.The car is getting to me as marriage gift.

How much will be the octroi and road tax i will have to pay in Mumbai?? Will the road tax i already paid be refunded to me??

How much i will have to pay if i need to register it in Mumbai?

#59 10-Aug, 2012 02:51 PM
Madhu
New Arrival
Joined Date: 10 Aug 2012

Helloo.. i hope i can find my answer in this thread.. i have a car registered in mumbai.. but i shifted to delhi 2 yrs back.i got a NOC from mumbai before shiftng..i tried to register my vehicle but the RTO pple were very uncooperative.. so finallyi gave in.. some1 told me in between metro cities you dont need to register your vehicle..so i have been using my car for the last 2 yrs without any probls...NOW.. i am going to shift to kolkata...my questions are:

1: will i have to obtain another NOC? If yes then where should i get it from?? DELHI OR MUMBAI??

2: can i drive a mumbai vehicle without any problems in kolkata??..

IF NO PLEASE LET M KNOW WHAT TO DO???

PLZ HELP ME...

Madhu

#60 10-Aug, 2012 02:52 PM
Madhu
New Arrival
Joined Date: 10 Aug 2012

Helloo.. i hope i can find my answer in this thread.. i have a car registered in mumbai.. but i shifted to delhi 2 yrs back.i got a NOC from mumbai before shiftng..i tried to register my vehicle but the RTO pple were very uncooperative.. so finallyi gave in.. some1 told me in between metro cities you dont need to register your vehicle..so i have been using my car for the last 2 yrs without any probls...NOW.. i am going to shift to kolkata...my questions are:

1: will i have to obtain another NOC? If yes then where should i get it from?? DELHI OR MUMBAI??

2: can i drive a mumbai vehicle without any problems in kolkata??..

IF NO PLEASE LET M KNOW WHAT TO DO???

PLZ HELP ME...

Madhu

#61 13-Aug, 2012 09:42 AM
Midhun
New Arrival
Joined Date: 08 Aug 2012

Hi pls anyone tell whether i had to take NOC from kerala for a kerala registered vehicle to be shifted to mumbai??

wat will be the other expenses??

#62 09-Sep, 2012 06:55 PM
Pravesh
New Arrival
Joined Date: 09 Sep 2012

if anyone can provide the agent number in mumbai... wull be great help..

#63 19-Nov, 2012 01:00 PM
Vikrant
New Arrival
Joined Date: 19 Nov 2012

@ madhuswam You will have to take the NOC from Mumbai again as there is no record of your vehicle in Delhi so they can't give any NOC

You may be able to drive it in Kolkatta for sometime (6 months i guess) but then you'll have to re-register

@MidhunVM You'll have to take the NOC from the RTO which has the latest record of your vehicle. If it is in Kerala, take it from there.

#64 02-Jan, 2013 01:48 PM
Luv Walia
New Arrival
Joined Date: 02 Jan 2013

Hi, 

I shifted my car - Nissan Micra (Petrol - XL - bought - Aug 2010) from Ludhiana to Mumbai. Got all the necessary docs and the NOC made from Ludhiana RTO.

In mumbai, while I have all the forms - the agent has told me that to register my vehicle in Mumbai - I will have to shell out amount under respective heads :

1) Octroi - 11500
2) Registration - 11500
3) Road Tax - 36000
4) Entry Tax (VAT) - He is quoting 12.5% since it has not been 30 months from date of purchase of the car

Can someone guide me on the respective charges agent is quoting for each and whether any/all of them are even required.

#65 15-Apr, 2013 04:19 PM
Thomas
New Arrival
Joined Date: 15 Apr 2013

Hello Every Body,

I am planning to buy a car, But I have one doubt where to do my vehicle registration.I stay in maharashtra. I hava a permanent address in khopoli which is 80 km away  from Mumbai.If I register my vehicle in Khopoli I can save Octori charges which is 4.5 % of ex-showroom price.If I register in Mumbai It will cost me more 30 to 32 thousands extra.My plan is to stay in  mumbai for more than 10 years.So It wold be great if any tells me where to register  the car so that it shouln't be a problem later on .As I will be staying in mumbai for longer period.

Regards,

Thomas

#66 23-Apr, 2013 12:53 AM
Kautuk Kamal
New Arrival
Joined Date: 23 Apr 2013

hi

My father is having an i20 registered in his name in Bihar.

I am planning to get the car in Bangalore with me.

I have following questions for the forum:

1. Can I get the car from Bihar to Bangalore without getting the NOC from bihar?

2. What is the registration procedure after getting the car to Bangalore?

3. Once the car comes to Bangalore, do I have to get the ownership transfer or address transfer done?

4. How long can I use the vehicle without getting the re-registration done in Bangalore ?

please guide me on this matter.

thanks in advance

Kamal

#67 24-Apr, 2013 01:03 PM
Ayan Paul
New Arrival
Joined Date: 24 Apr 2013

Posted by live2drive

You can drive in the city for 10 days, without paying anything (pls keep toll receipts as proof of arrival).

If you plan to stay for a year, then paying road tax and octroi is enough. Registration not required.

If you plan to stay for more than a year, in addition to paying octroi and road tax, you have to register the car in mumbai.

Hi live2drive,

Could you please tell me what documents are needed for paying road tax & octroi in Pune?

Thanks,

#68 24-Apr, 2013 01:03 PM
Ayan Paul
New Arrival
Joined Date: 24 Apr 2013

Posted by live2drive

Hi live2drive,

Could you please tell me what documents are needed for paying road tax & octroi in Pune?

Thanks,

#69 13-May, 2013 03:51 PM
Rahul
New Arrival
Joined Date: 16 Jan 2013

Posted by ayan1982

Freinds,

There is online payment facility througfh which multiple taxes can be pauid online in Maharahtra .Check this mahakosh maharashtra gov in (https://gras.mahakosh.gov.in/echallan/).

Do let all know if anyone has used this to pay one year road tax in mumbai.

Thanks,

Rahul S

Hi live2drive,

Thanks,

#70 13-May, 2013 03:54 PM
Rahul
New Arrival
Joined Date: 16 Jan 2013

Freinds,

There is online payment facility througfh which multiple taxes can be pauid online in Maharahtra .Check this mahakosh maharashtra gov in (https://gras.mahakosh.gov.in/echallan/).

Do let all know if anyone has used this to pay one year road tax in mumbai.

Thanks,

Rahul S

Pages : 12345678
Ask the experts 1800 2090 230 (8 AM - 9 PM) Toll free