Select your City

Detect my location

Popular Cities

We won't support this browser soon. For a better experience, we recommend using another browser. Learn More

Ad

Nightmare with Skoda and its dealer

#1 12-Apr, 2009 10:46 PM
Harish Kanchan
New Arrival
Joined Date: 12 Apr 2009

Part 1

Hi friends.

I am grateful for being given the opportunity to present to you my case.

Thirteen months ago, on 29th February 2008, my Skoda Octavia car met with an accident. The brakes did not respond and I hit a dead bull on the road. At that time I did not realize this fact, which later came to light that the Skoda, authorized dealer, Nummer Eins Motors Pvt Ltd, on an earlier periodic service, had installed spurious brake pads and discs in my car.

Oblivious to the above fact, I gave my car to the same dealer for accident repairs. After the repairs I realized that the dealer had replaced many original parts with counterfeits. Had I not discovered by chance, I would have accepted delivery of my car, and used it for a 1000 km trip to Mangalore with my family, jeopardizing not only my but their safety too. The enormity of the potential hazard to my family has compelled me to pursue a course of action to set the situation right, rather than one that gets me monetary gain.

Therefore, I have refused hush money provided by the dealer to fight what seems like a big battle for basic consumer rights.

After several follow ups and a visit to Aurangabad I managed to convince Skoda authorities to send their representative to verify my claims. After lot of reluctance and persuasion they deputed their Regional Service Engineer to inspect my car (See attached Appendix - Vehicle Inspection Report). He confirmed that parts worth more than Rs.4 lakhs, were replaced in my car with spurious ones.

After a lot of procrastination Skoda agreed to rectify my car. They took 45 days to do so.

But before handing over the car to me they wanted me to endorse a statement, which said that these spurious parts, ‘were not ascertained to have been put by their dealer’.

I refused to accept this blatant cover up. They refused to hand over my car and asked me to pay for the repairs.

I approached the Honourable District Consumer Forum for redressal of my grievance in July 2008.

I also got in touch with

• Andreas Prinz, MD, Volkswagen India
  • Jorg Mueller, President, Volkswagen India
  • Eva Dradkova, Consul General, Czech Republic, Mumbai
  • Reinhard Jung, Chairman, Skoda Auto, Czech Republic
  • Karsten Bugon, MD, Skoda Auto India
  • Adam Pavel, Customer Care, Skoda Czech Republic
  • Walter Stechel, Consul General, German Consulate, Mumbai
  • Bernhard Steinrucke, Director General, Indo German Chamber of Commerce.

I got a few luke warm responses claiming matter to be sub-judice.

Last Updated: 12-Apr, 2009 11:57 PM, by Pankaj.Prasad
Like this post
0 members liked this post
#2 12-Apr, 2009 10:49 PM
Harish Kanchan
New Arrival

Part 2

Subsequently, Skoda dealer, JMD Auto called me for a compromise.

A meeting was fixed where I met Mr. Ashutosh Dixit, GM Sales, Skoda.

Mr. Dixit sounded sincere and made all the right noises.

He agreed to release my car in return for striking out Skoda from the Consumer Case and to refrain from speaking to the media.

He assured to take action against Nummer Eins within 45 days.

However he tried to pull a fast one on me. He too, tried to make me endorse that their dealer did not put these parts.

I refused and the stalemate continued.

Despite confirmation of fraud committed by their dealer and despite many skeletons in their closet,

I agreed to let Skoda off the hook.

I did not ask for a new car.

I did not ask for compensation.

I did not ask him to accept that Skoda dealer, Nummer Eins had installed the spurious parts. Why should I then accept that their dealer did not do it?

To Skoda’s credit they terminated the dealership of Nummer Eins on 5th September 2008. On 17th September 2008, in an interim ruling, the Honourable District Forum, ruled that Skoda bear the cost of repairs and hand over my car fully restored as per international standards.

Skoda appealed against this order to the Honourable State forum and obtained a stay.

Here is my question – Skoda, have confirmed this fraud committed by their dealer.  They have even terminated this dealership.

Why would then Skoda want to fight with me, deprive me of the use of my car?

Is it to satiate a bruised ego?

Last Updated: 12-Apr, 2009 11:48 PM, by Pankaj.Prasad
Like this post
#3 12-Apr, 2009 10:50 PM
Harish Kanchan
New Arrival

Part 3

Mine is not the only case with regards to after sales service with Skoda dealerships and personnel. There are many of us who are affected by this attitude and arrogance of Skoda. We have decided to file a collective class action law - suit against Skoda.

I am seeking your assistance in finding the right long term resolution for all our problems, which is to have Skoda set up high quality dealer networks that follow ethical business practices.

I would like Skoda, and its parent company Volkswagen, to live up to their reputations of being globally respected brands and set an example for good business practices in India.

As in most situations, the answer may not be black and white, but I have confidence in your collective judgment and look forward to your support.

Regards

Harish Kanchan

+91-98331-38094

Tried posting pictures, newspaper articles and other material. Exceeded capacity. 

Last Updated: 12-Apr, 2009 11:49 PM, by Pankaj.Prasad
Like this post
#4 12-Apr, 2009 10:53 PM
Harish Kanchan
New Arrival

VEHICLE INSPECTION REPORT - Part 1

From: Sudhir, Srinivas [mailto:Srinivas.Sudhir@skoda-auto.co.in] ?Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 1:03 PM?To: h.dee@skodajmd.com?Subject: FW: Mr.Harish Kanchan's vehicle inspection report.

Dear Mr. Dee,

Kindly call for Mr. Harish Kanchan’s vehicle and provide us with the list of components to be replaced, so that these parts will be made available to you. The labour chargers for the job work will be paid by M/s. Nummereins. Your cooperation and understanding in this matter is solicited,

Thanks &

Best Regards

Srinivas Sudhir

Customer Care

After Sales

SkodaAuto India Private Limited

Plot No:A-1/1,Shendra

Five Star Industrial Area,MIDC

Aurangabad-431201

Tel        :+91 240 6631256

Fax       :+91 240 6631277

E-mail   : Srinivas.Sudhir@skoda-auto.co.in

Last Updated: 12-Apr, 2009 11:50 PM, by Pankaj.Prasad
Like this post
#5 12-Apr, 2009 10:54 PM
Harish Kanchan
New Arrival

VEHICLE INSPECTION REPORT PART 2

From: Ramesh, Karthik ?Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:19 PM?To: 'shammivijan@yahoo.com'?Cc: Srinivas, Satya; Sudhir, Srinivas?Subject: Mr.Harish Kanchan's vehicle inspection report.

Dear Mr.Shammi,

Kindly find enclosed report with regards to Mr.Harish Kanchan’s car. Request your feedback with regards to the report and the course of action from your end to rectify the customer’s vehicle.

Thanks & Regards,

Karthik Ramesh | Business Development?ŠKODA  AUTO India Pvt. Ltd. | A-1/1, Shendra, Five Star MIDC  | Aurangabad - Mahrashtra | India?Tel: +91 240 663 1206 | Fax: +91 240 663 1299 ?karthik.ramesh@skoda-auto.co.in | www.skoda-auto.co.in | www.skoda-auto.com

Vehicle particulars;

Model: Octavia/1.9 TDI/66KW/Rider/MT/White.

VIN No: TMBCGK1U56A012587.

Engine No: ALHE15272.

Reg.No: MH-06AF-6115.

Present KMs: 33,756.

Last Updated: 12-Apr, 2009 11:51 PM, by Pankaj.Prasad
Like this post
#6 12-Apr, 2009 10:55 PM
Harish Kanchan
New Arrival

VEHICLE INSPECTION REPORT PART 3

I have inspected the said vehicle at M/s.JMD Auto, Bandup workshop, Mumbai on 23rd, April 08 as per the customer’s grievance lodged at Customer care cell, SAIPL. The inspection details are enclosed below;

Initially, the said vehicle was reported to M/s.Nummer Eins, Chembur workshop for accidental repair work in the month of February.

• Please refer carefully the enclosed photographs of the said vehicle and extent of damage at the time of accident was occurred. The accident was taken place at only front LH side.

• The enclosed photographs are received from the Insurance Surveyor.

As per the customer’s apprehension and as per the final invoiced parts list, all the replaced parts have been inspected for their originality.

• Please carefully refer the enclosed photographs of inspected parts by me; all the replaced parts are Non Genuine (substandard spares which are available in grey-market).

Last Updated: 12-Apr, 2009 11:59 PM, by Pankaj.Prasad
Like this post
#7 12-Apr, 2009 10:57 PM
Harish Kanchan
New Arrival

VEHICLE INSPECTION REPORT PART 4

Apparently there were some unjustified/unnatural repair works also carried on the vehicle along with accidental repair jobs, the details follows as;

• V-belt with belt tensioner assembly was replaced without any reason.

• Electric magnet clutch of AC compressor was replaced without any reason.

• Original battery fuse box was swapped and fitted with damaged/burnt fuse box is fitted on vehicle.

• Original battery was swapped and fitted with underspecified voltage and substandard (make AMRON) battery was fitted without battery clamp.

• Original radiator fan was swapped and fitted with a damaged fan.

• In the month of January 14th, 08, the said vehicle was reported for periodic service and during that service schedule the dealer had replaced both front brake rotors (brake discs), but within a month period the customer has faced concern about brake juddering, as per the customer apprehension, I have inspected the replaced brake discs, found the same are Non-Genuine parts (substandard spares which are available in grey-market).

Last Updated: 13-Apr, 2009 12:00 AM, by Pankaj.Prasad
Like this post
#8 12-Apr, 2009 11:11 PM
Harish Kanchan
New Arrival

Last Updated: 12-Apr, 2009 11:52 PM, by Pankaj.Prasad
Like this post
#9 12-Apr, 2009 11:38 PM
Jith
Long-termer

saw this in team-bhp too. shame on skoda. hope they will improve

Like this post
#10 12-Apr, 2009 11:42 PM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

Sorry Harish to hear about such a pathetic experience you have had.

This thread will help caution other members/readers too. Thanks for sharing it.

I wish the problem is resolved as soon as possible. All the very best.

Edit: Harish, please note... your posts above (8) have been edited only for para-spacing & alignments - for better readability.

I'm basically from Bihar; relocated here in Gujarat for years, and am a banker by profession. I have owned Enfield Bullet 350CC for 24 years (1985-2009); Tata Indica Turbo for 6 years (2006-2012); Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet since 2012 to present; and Tata Hexa XT since Oct 2018.
Last Updated: 13-Apr, 2009 12:00 AM, by Pankaj.Prasad
Like this post
Buying a new Car?Ask the experts1800 2090 230(Toll free)

Select your city to avail offers

Currently available only in