Please Tell Us Your City

Knowing your city will help us provide relevant content to you.

Sorry! No matching results found. Try again. Error Identifying Your Location.

Log in to CarWale

Please enter your password
Please enter your registered email

Sign up to CarWale

Please enter your name
Please enter your mobile number
Please enter your password
Please enter your password

Please tell us your city

Knowing your city helps us provide relevant content for you

No city match.

Transfer My Delhi Alto to Hyderbad

#1 21-Jan, 2009 11:27 AM
New Arrival
Joined Date: 21 Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1
Likes: 0

I have purchased ALTO in Oct 2007 From Delhi. My parents are using this car in Patna withour any NOC or Road Tax being paid in Patna. This car is hypotheticated by the bank and loan is still going on. Now I want to send this car to my brother in Hyderabad. I want to clariffy certain points:-

  1. Do I need to transfer the ownership to my brother's name?
  2. Can he drive the vehicle in Hyderabad without obtaining NOC from Delhi by paying 1 year road tax in Hyderbad?

Thanks in Advance,

Binit Ranjan

0 members liked this post
#2 21-Jan, 2009 11:25 PM
New Arrival
Joined Date: 11 Dec 2008
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 21
Likes: 0

Vehicle registration is valid through out india, one can ply all over india. Leagally spickking, on shifting to other state ( means state other than vehicle is registered) one has to acknowledge to nearest rto of arrival of vehicle in priscribed form ft . Within seven days of arrival. Taxes goes to state government. Each state has its own rates. So better to inquire appllicable state authority/consultant.this has to be done every shifting of state.if you want to stay more than 1 yr. You have to get vehicle registerd to the authority. (practically all do not follow this.)



This post is edited to remove/delete the 'quote' (same as previous post; not required therefore) & to convert the 1st para from 'UPPERCASE' to 'Sentence case' for better readability.

Last Updated: 23-Jan, 2009 08:37 AM, by Pankaj.Prasad
0 members liked this post
#3 23-Jan, 2009 08:46 AM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 13623
Likes: 208

As I understand, one can use the car in another state for period not exceeding one year by paying 1-year tax, as applicable locally (varies a little from state to state).

For use beyond 1 year, as per rules, you will have to get the car re-registered in Hyderabad.  For the purpose, you will require to get an NOC from Delhi RTO in favour of Hyderabad RTO.  Based thereon, you will have to pay the life-time tax (as applicable to old cars) at Hyderabad & get it re-registered there.  Thereafter, you can claim refund of life-time tax paid at Delhi - it will be refunded on pro-rata basis (a tedious job).

Please note that Delhi RTO will not issue an NOC unless you get an NOC from Bank/the financer of the car.  For obtaining NOC from Bank, it is not necessary to repay the loan - if need be, the Bank can transfer your loan A/C to one of its branches at Hyderabad.

The entire procedure can be done in the name of the existing buyer (you) - without transferring it in the brother's name - there's no restriction on usage of vehicles that are registered in the name of others.  As such, if you wish to transfer it in his name - you will require to sign TTO (Transfer Form) in his favour & also transfer the Insurance policy (both within 14 days, I suppose).  This could be done at Delhi itself - in that case, your brother can undertake the re-registration procedure at Hyderabad thereafter.  Otherwise, it can be done after it is re-registered in your name itself at Hyderabad.

Please note... if you are transferring the car in your brother's name, you need to repay the bank loan invariably.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.
Last Updated: 23-Jan, 2009 08:48 AM, by Pankaj.Prasad
0 members liked this post
Ask the experts 1800 2090 230 Mon-Fri & Sun (10 AM - 7 PM)
Sat (10 AM - 5:30 PM)
Toll free