Please Tell Us Your City

Knowing your city will help us provide relevant content to you.

Sorry! No matching results found. Try again.Error Identifying Your Location.

We won't support this browser soon. For a better experience, we recommend using another browser. Learn More

Ad

Left turn on red, is it legal in India?

Pages : 12
#1 19-Dec, 2008 04:00 PM
Abhijit Dutta
Road-tested
Joined Date: 04 Sep 2008

Hi friends,

Today I was faced with a peculiar situation. I was at a traffic signal at the leftmost lane as I was supposed to turn left at the intersection. I had the left turn indicator of my car on. 4-5 vehicles were behind me. The traffic light was at red. To my surprise, I heard the drivers of the vehicles behind me were repeatedly honking at me. When I saw in the rear view mirror, I could feel they were abusing me and signaling me with the hand to go ahead with the left turn.

There were no vehicles in sight going to the road where I was supposed to go. Also there were no traffic police around. So I went ahead with the turn with extreme caution. I could see that the people behind also followed me. The traffic light was still red. Now I am confused. When I used to drive in the US, we were allowed to make a right turn on red unless otherwise specified (sign mentioned 'No turn on red'). Being in a city where people often give a damn to traffic rules making the roads unsafe for both drivers and pedestrians, I have a question. Did I do the right thing? Is it legal in traffic law to make a free left turn when it is safe, even on red traffic light?

Thanks for your response.

Like this post
0 members liked this post
#2 19-Dec, 2008 04:20 PM
Rohit
Joined Date: 10 Nov 2008

Well, it so happens here that people have no patience...and many usually know when the signal's about to go green (by observing traffic in other lanes/directions)...so they honk to get you to move. It is legal if the signal is green. However, there are signals where there is no left-turn signal (its missing altogether - neither "no left" nor "left go/no go") and at such places I guess you need not wait for the signal to turn green - best to watch other drivers.

S = k.I^2, where S is the amount of stupidity a species possesses, I is the intelligence the species has and k is the universal constant of stupidity.
Last Updated: 19-Dec, 2008 04:23 PM, by rohit.b.d.
Like this post
#3 19-Dec, 2008 04:28 PM
Bhushan
Best-seller
Joined Date: 27 Apr 2007

Abhijit,

Welcome to CarWale!

I am sure it would have been a difficult time when you decided to take the left turn even when the lights were red. I guess many of us go through similar situation everyday. I think in cities the situation is little more confusing. I stay in Bangalore where many signals have:

• Signboard showing 'Free left'
  • Signboard showing 'No Free left'
  • No signboard at all

Many a times the signals are decent enough to have separate 'Go Left' indicator wherever possible. Most of the times at smaller junctions even this is not there. So the complete set of combinations makes it very difficult.

I have used one easy method. Taking left turn is fine, when traffic from the left side is having the green signal and also when we have green. Otherwise i do not take a left turn.

Bhushan

Like this post
#4 19-Dec, 2008 04:34 PM
Ami
Legend
Joined Date: 12 Sep 2008

Or....

It could have been a free left which you might not have seen.

Bhushan: Didn't see your post while posting.

Last Updated: 19-Dec, 2008 04:35 PM, by Ami
Like this post
#5 19-Dec, 2008 11:02 PM
Binoy
Joined Date: 23 Apr 2008

-proceeding on a 'red' is illegal and that is all there should be to it-i guess.

Like this post
#6 20-Dec, 2008 12:42 AM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

Well, to my understand, we can turn left even when a red signal is there - unless left turn is specifically restricted.

However, I'll try & gather some concrete info on this.

I'm basically from Bihar; relocated here in Gujarat for years, and am a banker by profession. I have owned Enfield Bullet 350CC for 24 years (1985-2009); Tata Indica Turbo for 6 years (2006-2012); Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet since 2012 to present; and Tata Hexa XT since Oct 2018.
Last Updated: 20-Dec, 2008 12:44 AM, by Pankaj.Prasad
Like this post
#7 20-Dec, 2008 01:05 AM
Karan
Legend
Joined Date: 25 Jan 2007

well...try n c d traffic light grid.... its sumthin like O O OO the top one is red...den amber..n den ofcourse. d bottom one is green n d bottom rite is right-green. in this case a left turn wud b free..... however....if the grid is like this-- O O OOO now this means ders an additional box...which is left-green.....which means the ppl takin a left turn wil hav to wiat for a green signal..... this is how u cud get a fair idea ..(atleast i New Delhi..)... Else in sum particular places..der is a markin also....which says "LEft TUrn Not free". cheers

p.s--- sorry after  sending this post ... i can c ...those O's which i hav made wont make sense...  

okay...so draw an  "L"   wid the 1st set of O's which i hav mentioned.....n wid the 2nd set of O's draw a "J" (like an 'L' which which has fis feet on the other side)

draw them on a piece of paper n read the post above,again.

cheers

Last Updated: 20-Dec, 2008 01:09 AM, by karan.gambhir
Like this post
#8 20-Dec, 2008 01:13 AM
Vinit
New Arrival
Joined Date: 30 Nov 2008

i subscribe to the view point of pankaj.

in india we are having right hand drive, means we hav to overtake frm right only. so when u want to turn left at signal, there is no violation of rules(unless specific restriction is imposed).

Like this post
#9 20-Dec, 2008 01:38 AM
Karan
Legend
Joined Date: 25 Jan 2007

ya bt at many times u dnt really hav it notified!...so we shud kno ways how to make sure for the same.....

Like this post
#10 23-Dec, 2008 03:13 PM
Abhijit Dutta
Road-tested
Joined Date: 04 Sep 2008

Posted by Karan Gambhir

well...try n c d traffic light grid.... its sumthin like O O OO the top one is red...den amber..n den ofcourse. d bottom one is green n d bottom rite is right-green. in this case a left turn wud b free..... however....if the grid is like this-- O O OOO now this means ders an additional box...which is left-green.....which means the ppl takin a left turn wil hav to wiat for a green signal..... this is how u cud get a fair idea ..(atleast i New Delhi..)... Else in sum particular places..der is a markin also....which says "LEft TUrn Not free". cheers

p.s--- sorry after  sending this post ... i can c ...those O's which i hav made wont make sense...  

okay...so draw an  "L"   wid the 1st set of O's which i hav mentioned.....n wid the 2nd set of O's draw a "J" (like an 'L' which which has fis feet on the other side)

draw them on a piece of paper n read the post above,again.

cheers

Thanks everyone for your replies. From now on I will be more careful and not listen to the rogue motorists.

Anyway, that signal had an additional light which would blink the left arrow when the same is open. So I think at that point, you can only turn left on green.

Like this post
Pages : 12
Buying a new Car?Leave a missed call1800 2090 230(Toll free)
Ad

Launching in

• 00 DAYS
  • 00 HRS
  • 00 MINS
  • 00 SEC
Know More

Select your city to avail offers

Currently available only in