Please Tell Us Your City

Knowing your city will help us provide relevant content to you.

Sorry! No matching results found. Try again. Error Identifying Your Location.

Please enter your password
Please enter your registered email

Please enter your name
+91
Please enter your mobile number

Please tell us your city

Knowing your city helps us provide relevant content for you

No city match.
Ad

Driving Tips for “going uphill”.

Pages : 12
#1 23-Mar, 2011 10:27 PM
Krishna Kumar
Driven
Joined Date: 23 Jan 2011

Hello members,

I am a new driver and slowly adjusting myself to my new car (Wagon-R LXI with CNG - 1 week old.) I don’t have prior driving experience except from driving school practice.

I am comfortable with traffic/ slow driving situations and able manage well till now. My only nightmare is moving the car smoothly towards heavy up/ hill area with a situation like stop and go. Whenever I need to stop my vehicle at an up area I am doing so many crazy things for little moving.

Today I had a bad experience with pressing clutch & brake pedal & using hand break and pressing accelerator heavily etc. At this situation car was making heavy noise and I smell some kind of rubber burning.  I don’t know what went wrong till now inside of the car. I was very panic at that moment and could not control my car well, also aware both clutch and break & accelerator need to be balanced well to move the vehicle. Without crowded I am able to manage.

As experts, your tips greatly appreciated.

1)      Now, do I need to practice well with heavy ups by simulating/assuming original traffic conditions and then go to traffic or regular road practice teach me well with heavy cautious?

2)      Gears shifts –In 4th gear I am going with a speed of 40-50 without any vibration and coming down to 2nd or 1st based on the speed/ traffic conditions. Is there is a standard procedure for this?

3)      How to manage up hill area driving 

-- "Stop searching forever, happiness is just next to you"
0 members liked this post

#2 24-Mar, 2011 03:07 AM
Ishan
Road-tested
Joined Date: 08 Jul 2010

First thing be calm and don't panic. While a stop at hill both legs r engaged with brake and clutch. So, slowly slowly take the leg off clutch and when clutch is half pressed u can move your right leg from brake to accelerator. Practise it,will definitely help.

#3 24-Mar, 2011 08:24 AM
Aakash Setia
Long-termer
Joined Date: 16 Dec 2010

First of all..

When you want to accelerate on an elevation when your car is stopped..
Put handbrake..and accelerate..when you feel car can move release the hand break..!

Second,

At hills..If u Go up at 3 gear, then it is compulsary to come down hill at the same gear..irrespective of speed..!
Also, to have more power, you need to pull a good speed at low gears...!

cheers !

FEEL THE SPEED

#4 24-Mar, 2011 10:43 AM
Aditya Dev Rao
Long-termer
Joined Date: 19 Mar 2011

I agree with Ishan,

Be calm and donot panic, take your time forget about the trafic. For now you can perform both hand brake and half cluth practise. Once you are comfortable with driving uphill then chose either of the methods. Just chill and drive safe.

Posted by Ishan.Thecarlover

First thing be calm and don't panic. While a stop at hill both legs r engaged with brake and clutch. So, slowly slowly take the leg off clutch and when clutch is half pressed u can move your right leg from brake to accelerator. Practise it,will definitely help.

Regards, ADDI

#5 25-Mar, 2011 07:28 PM
Kiran
Beloved
Joined Date: 03 Feb 2009

hi kittu...

dont worry...this happens to everyone who is new to driving....

i would suggest you to practice it... take ur car to a steep place where there is no traffic..somewere near to ur house... then try practicing it.. u ll surely become an expert in it..... by practicing u can make ur car in stand still by not using the brake...just by adjusting your accelerator and clutch (without using the break) u can make ur car in stand still....

Last Updated: 25-Mar, 2011 07:29 PM, by kiran

#6 29-Mar, 2011 01:13 PM
Sabareesh Moorthy
Long-termer
Joined Date: 16 Apr 2008

kittu, 

Here is what you should do :

a. When climbing an incline, if you have to stop then

1. Bring the car to stationary position

2. Engage Hand brakes

3. Switch off the engine if waiting for more than 1 minute.

Note: Do not shift to neautral. 

b. When its time to move  / climb the gradient then :

1. Depress the clutch & brakes, Crank the engine.

2. Select appropriate gear (ideally 1st gear for moving from standstill on an incline)

3. Control Clutch with Left foot and Accelerator with Right

4. Release handbrake slowly and accelerate gradually.

It takes some time to get used to the sync between left hand and LH, RH feet but this is the foolproof method of climbing an incline without moving backwards. 

JEEP - Faithful as a Dog, Strong as a Mule, Agile as a Goat.
Last Updated: 29-Mar, 2011 01:13 PM, by Sabareesh

#7 29-Mar, 2011 01:29 PM
Krishna Kumar
Driven
Joined Date: 23 Jan 2011

thanks so much for your suggestions. i will do a regular pratice with the suggested tips. 

-- "Stop searching forever, happiness is just next to you"

#8 26-Apr, 2011 11:51 AM
Ashwani Kumar
Long-termer
Joined Date: 05 Jul 2010

hi kittu - 

congrats for your new wagaon R lxi cng .

Few suggestion,

ON UPHILL driving -

1) It will take some time for you get used to the clutch and accelration timing , till be carefull as you may damage clutch or handbrake .

2) Just remember where the the uphill is going to come , prepare mentally, slow down and maintail lil more distance than ususal , 

3) dont get pressurised by honking of dirvers behind you , take your time to get out of it , panicking will result in damaging your car as well as car in front of you ,

4) I would suggest less usage of the handbrake as it will add one more lever to handle , more over as you are new to diriving you may forget removing handbrake , this will add toyour problem , 

5) Ride up in lower gear 2nd gear or 1st gear , to avoid min gear shifting.

6) USe a L BOADR Sign on your cars rear and front as it will help other drivers to maintaing  safe distance from your car.

7) never dirve on pressing  half clutch , clutch is not speed controll, 

8) never keep your feet on top of cluctch thinking it will help you press the clutch faster, keep your feet on floor or the resting pad on left side of clutch if its provided.

9) Although this will affect the FE but will keep your clutch and handbrake in good condition, 

rgds

Cheers, Ashwani , Hyderabad

#9 26-Apr, 2011 12:30 PM
Surya Markandeyan
Beloved
Joined Date: 28 Mar 2011

I had a experience , even i think of it now i laugh, I was learning driving and enthusiastically took my brother's estilo to a lonely road.

From my street to the lonely place, the car ride was not smooth, it was kind of restricting me to accelerate. After reaching the place, i tried changing gears and pressing the accelaratar hard, but the car was kind of jumping.... my goodness lol!

After few tries, i searched for someone on the road and luckily there was a cab driver, who came to my rescue and he saw the handbrakes were applied lol!Embarassed, i felt really embarrased at the moment.

From that moment, whenever i enter a car , i ensure that the handbrakes are not engaged while starting and ensure that it is applied when i stop it .

Valuable lesson learnt at the cost of my brother's car.

#10 26-Apr, 2011 02:15 PM
Amit
Legend
Joined Date: 22 May 2009

Hi Kittu, lots of valuable advice has already been given. I want to add just this that you need a lot of practise. It seems difficult to pick up on an elivated road initially. However, you can master anything with patience and practise. Some tips from me too

1) Try handbrake technique when in traffic initially. While practising at a lonely stretch, try half clutch method which is more practical and convenient.

2) Don't get hasseled by other drivers honking behind you, for some reason they forget that they were at the same stage sometime in their lives.

3) If possible, initially, plan your route in way that you do not encounter elivated roads where you may have to stop and start.

Hope this helps!!

Smile : A curve that can set a lot of things straight.

Pages : 12
Ad
Ask the experts 1800 2090 230 Mon-Fri & Sun (10 AM - 7 PM)
Sat (10 AM - 5:30 PM)
Toll free

Select your city to avail offers

Currently available only in