gr8 for a few years, problems from 4th year onwards

A user review on Skoda Octavia [2001-2010]. Written by T P on 19 June, 2007

Price: ₹ N/A
Octavia [2001-2010] Details | On Road Price
T P's Ratings
Own a Skoda Octavia [2001-2010]? Help others make an informed buying decision.

• Overall
Version Reviewed : Elegance 1.9 TDI
Purchased As :
Familiarity :
Fuel Economy : kpl
Good : gr8 fuel economy, gr8 boot space, very solid feel, and gr8 handling, very good alpine music system
Bad : rear seat not spacious, free services expensive, AC has default exhaust mode,

i have been self driving my Skoda since feb 2003, over 4 years. i have loved this car, the driving quality, pick up, handling etc is impeccable, and gives a very solid sturdy feel. i find the sound system is very good, though some people do complain that it lacks in deep base quality. the boot space is excellant, 2 entire bicycles fit in easily once i fold the rear seat, as when i go to my farmhouse. optionally i have once travelled with a couple sleeping in the boot, once the seats were folded down making a space 6 feet deep! the front seats ofcourse are very comfy, and adjust to a gr8 degree. the bumper is excellant, i have had small scuffles with autos and even after i have been hit fairly hard the damage to the bumper has been minimal.
The AC gave me problems in the first year itself, and 2 visits to Skoda didnt help any, apparantly much later i found out that the default mode was exhaust , so outside air would come in all the time, which may be ok if u are driving in the hills, but useless for our harsh summers. a local car mechanic "rectified" the problem by permanantly shutting off the exhaust feature which solved the problem , and after which the AC is fantastic.( i dont know if everyone has had this problem with the climacteric AC, or is it only me).
Furthur every service (free) would cost over RS 5000, as the diesel would be changed along with the air pump/fuel pump. aslo evry monsoon would require new wipers. also in heavy rains there is some leakage of water into the cabin, and again skoda were charging exorbitantly to repair this, my local mechanic solved it with some regular sealant, and the last monsoon was no problem. after 4 years my electronics are giving a little problem, the cabin lights are flickering off and on, and i think the fuel pump is also giving problems. the tyres, tubeless, radials, have barely lasted 25000 km, basically city driving and have needed to be replaced.
having driven for 4 years + i am overall very satisfied with my skoda, but i just had to point out the drawbacks which i have faced, are my problems alone or unique?, i dont know, that u can decide for yrself. my next car based on my experience will NOT be the Laura, i will probably go in for a Honda, accord maybe?

Goran Bozic on 22 Aug, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Hello ,I,m Goran from Serbia.Please is scoda octavia 1.9 tdi 2003 year, have euro3 engine

Vikas Vinayak on 08 Mar, 2009 at 09:01 PM

hi i am planning to buy octivia elegance (diseal)is it worth the value.pls write(vikas_vinayak@yahoo.com

Paritosh on 07 Apr, 2008 at 01:04 AM

HI.. I'm looking over to buy a second hand Octavia deisel in another 15 days.I came to know that its servicing part is too costly.My daily run is around 100kms in delhi n around.So, plz guide me how much money is required for every service and after how many kms timing belt needs to be changed. Do mail me at paritoshmittal@rediffmail.com or call me at 9810227333. looking forward for ur reviews.

Vinay K on 04 Jan, 2008 at 09:36 AM

Thanks, that was very very helpful.

T P on 19 Jun, 2007 at 01:31 PM

I have written a review on Skoda Octavia and look forward to your comments on it.

Review Link: gr8 for a few years, problems from 4th year onwards