Detailed comparison betwn new swift and figo

A user review on Maruti Suzuki Swift. Written by jithu on 21 September, 2011

Price: ₹ 4.42 - 6.71 lakhs
Swift Details | On Road Price
jithu's Ratings
Own a Maruti Suzuki Swift? Help others make an informed buying decision.

• Overall
Purchased As : Not Purchased
Familiarity : Have driven a few thousands kilometres
Fuel Economy : 18 kpl
Good : interior look more premium
Bad : soft metal body,space

Exterior Not much difference than old model. Length old 3760 new 3850 increase in 9cm. figo l -3795. wheelbase-old swift 2390,new-2430.increse in 4cm. But for figo,wheel base is 2489, 5.9cm more than even the new swift. that means more space for passengers in figo. Width old swift-1690mm, new 1695. difference is only half cms. For figo width 1680, without orvm. same as ritz. more width of swift is wasted in its bulky shape and has not contributed to interior space. The horizontal lenth of seats of new swift is same as figo and ritz. height old swift and new 1530. figo height 1427. boot space old swift 232l, new 210l, figo massive 284l.

Interior (Features, Space & Comfort) Dash board of new swift looks very premium than old model and figo. New passenger side cup holder,bottle holder on rear doors, boot opener on dash board[figo was first to introduce this feature in small cars]. silver inserts in dash and door opener looks good. silver inserts around ac vents at centre looks good.but this is available only in vxi/vdi. Rest of all features  of figo and swift vxi /vdi are same. Additional feature of vdi swift is tiltable steering. Zxi gets steering mounted audio controls. Additional feature of figo thaan swift include rear wash wiper, drivers seat height adjust, [only in zxi of swift], cargo area lamp[absent in swift even in zxi], speed sensing volume control aided music system[only in zxi/zdi of swift]. Music system has blue tooth connectivity in figo not in any version of swift.

Engine Performance, Fuel Economy and Gearbox For performance there is no match for fiat based ddis engine.[i own a ritz with the same engine and a figo petrol zxi versions]. In swift the diesel and petrol  engines are slightly tuned.the sudden gush of torque felt in old swift/ritz is slightly diminished in the new swift diesel.petrol engine better tuned than old one. Suspension of mew swift improved which enhances sporty ride. Figo's engine cannot match both petrol and diesel engines in performance. Diesel figo is more powerful than petrol.

Ride Quality & Handling Here figo scores more than swift in my opinion.figo feels more planted with less body roll.u can throw the car around the corners with much confidence.figo,s hydraulic power assisted steering is more accurate and responsive than swifts electric power steering.stability is also much more in figo.the light weight of swift has a tendency to go out of control at high speeds.

Final Words If u want a car with performance,image and sporty shape, go for swift.but if u want a practical and value for money car with good solidly built body,with more boot space and passenger space including more features go for figo.mileage for swift and figo diesels are almost the same.

Areas of improvement In case of swift the metal used for body is very light and get damaged by slight hit.the use of polymer plastic petrol/diesel tanks is not agood move.shedding of nearly 30kgs from the car has affected stability at high speed and strength of the vehicle. for figo the interior should be made more premium like swift. again the engines are not powerful enough to completely utilise the chasis strength. the engines do their job neatly but are not frugal for sporty ride. but ride quality and control are really good than swift. finally for swift the pricing is very high compared to figo. swift vdi on-road price is 6,17288 that too without musuc system, rear wash wiper etc.zxi/zdi 7,01853. with this price u can comfortably but a diesel sedan say swift desire.figo zxi diesel on-road price is 5,74000 including drivers seat height adjust, music system with blue tooth,rear wash viper etc.the top end diesel titanium is only neraly 6,30000.only difference is figo titanium doesnt have steering mounted audio controls. so now its upto customers to decide.

Nipun Bharti on 25 Jul, 2012 at 02:50 PM

I have bought Figo TDCI over Swift Diesel ,Polo,and I20 Diesel.Main reason is that in case of Figo ,turbo starts at a very early engine speed of 1250 rpm which is not the case in all other cars.Other cars,turbo will start mostly after 2000 rpm .By the time you hit 2000 rpm,most of your city driving is done without turbo.Which leaves you powerless even in the most expensive of the diesel hatches.I am not ok with powerlessness.So,I had two choices either Figo TDCI or Ford Classic TDCI.Since I wanted Hatch, so I settled for Figo Titanium.Both also happpen to be milage champions due to this turbo of theirs.

Ramesh Babu on 24 Jul, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Hello Umang. many of friends Swift Vdi, ford figo my friend owns clamis 15 to 17 in city and 19 to 23 in highway. In my figo I have done 20K kms and i got a maximum of 23.2 kmpl at a speed of around 80kmph. Read reviews anywhere in any forum this is wat the figure they claim.

Figo is fun to drive with better strong metal used. Compare the kerb weight of Figo and swift you will know which is built for quality.

Reagarding fun to drive factor. The hydraulic steering coupled with best ride and handling and its weight helps it to be very stable at high speed. I do 130+kmph in higway without even feel a bit of never. I have driven new swift VDi, its fun to drive but doesnot handle as good as figo at highspeed. At low speed its almost equal to figo. You search in any forum you will know what is true.

Reagrding resale value. Yes a car wihich has high initial cost [almost 1 lakh more - to be frank swift zxi pertol is costlier than diesel figo zxi] Figo is no way a bad vehicle to igonre.  To reclaim your 1 lakh cash you will take atleast 1.5 years. Wereas we can use figo tdci which we get at petrol cost.

I strongly recomment to compare depreciation and not reslae. I dont know why people keep on comparing the resale vaue of a costlier car almost 1 lakh more to a cheap car. Its obvious that it will return more. As long as the vehicle is received well by people and has cheap spares and maintanance/availability the resale will be good. Seeing these factors Figo is no way inferior to swift. Plz dont overate swift. It depends on people preference. Why to compromise on resale and enjoy the features available at low price and also best fun to drive vehicle at such a low cost and is proven welll.

FYI i have driven new swift VDI for around 4000 kms and I know all the benefits and disadvantages. You say swift feel better in space. Yes its wider than figo by 15mm but how about the leg room/knee room. its very cramped in swift compared to figo. Only Vista, i20 beats figo in terms of space.

If you have the premium and you like swift plz go ahead buy and use it. Figo is best VFM in the segment Its no way inferior to Swift. Infact considering the boot/handling and fun to drive coupled with better mileage . Search any thread anywhere I have never seen figo avg 15. Infact i am very hard on accelerator and still even at worst drive i get an avg of 16kmpl in city and 19kmpl in highway [130+kmph in highway most of the time]. No one will accept the fact that you get 30kmpl. I have never heared such a mileage figure in VDI. I personally drove swift VDI for a 700 km journey and i got a mileage of around 17.5kmpl with full load. I have many time driven over 600 kms in figoI felt best comfort in Figo than in swift. The seating positon is so perfect no body pain wat so ever.

Umang on 24 Jul, 2012 at 09:17 PM

See, my friend owns the figo.He tells me he gets an average of 15 kmpl overall.

My swift gives me 18.2 overall and at 5th gear at 80 kmph it gives me 30 kmpl.

This was about average.When we come to performance. The swift no doubt vrooms way ahead of the figo.

The swift overall feels very big inside.Yes the boot is small.But that's fine.Not evryone uses the whole boot everyday.

The after sales service of MSIL is excellent compared to ford.The resale value is much better of the swift .

The drive ,the performance,the chassis ,the strong european like suspension,the driving position,the 5-star euro ncap result,the fun to drive factor,the looks,the great interior just make it worth the extra buck.

I tested the figo extensively as it was my first thought.But after test driving the swift,there was really no looking back.

In short and sweet terms, my heart and mind told me to go with the swift and my pocket told me to go for the figo.

P.S.-Lifes too short. Always listen to your heart.!;)

Umang on 24 Jul, 2012 at 09:17 PM

See, my friend owns the figo.He tells me he gets an average of 15 kmpl overall.

My swift gives me 18.2 overall and at 5th gear at 80 kmph it gives me 30 kmpl.

P.S.-Lifes too short. Always listen to your heart.!;)

Ramesh Babu on 03 Jun, 2012 at 05:08 PM

So no point in discussing the cost saved in mileage it will take 2 years to claim ur cost spent more on intial cost almost 1 lakh than figo, I dont think the 1 lakh rs is justified in terms of swift. except it is branded by maruti and its ASS

Ramesh Babu on 03 Jun, 2012 at 05:06 PM

I dont second any of you. Both swift and figo gives a mileage of around 17 to 18kmpl on mixed conditions. The figures that u claim may be in highway. Also one more thing u have to notice is that Swift Zdi is almost 1 lakh more than figo titanium. Of course even swift vdi itself is costiler than figo titanium. Swift has lesser leg room compared to figo. Accept swift is bit wider, but is compenasted by better boot in figo.

Prakash on 13 May, 2012 at 05:29 PM

dear avinash,the 27.8km/lit. of mileage for swift-diesel must be at optimum speed in the highway. for,believe it or not ,my figo has given 29kms/lit. at optimum speed on the highway. i have driven around 9000kms.which includes highway and city rides and overall mileage obtained by me is 21kms/litre. the pick-up is terrific,ride quality is superb.

M Bajaj on 20 Jan, 2012 at 01:39 PM

Jithu,

Good detailes comparison. Nice effort.

Avinash,

27.8 km/ltr is quite absure. Even Maruti claims ARAI mileage of 22 kmpl .