Getz Prime Diesel CRDI 1.5 GVS - You will not believe it is a Diesel Car!!!

A user review on Hyundai Getz Prime [2007-2010]. Written by VJRag1 on 16 June, 2008

Price: ₹ N/A
Getz Prime [2007-2010] Details | On Road Price
VJRag1's Ratings
Own a Hyundai Getz Prime [2007-2010]? Help others make an informed buying decision.

• Overall
Version Reviewed : 1.5 GVS CRDi
Purchased As :
Familiarity :
Fuel Economy : kpl
Good : Great Refinement, Superb Handling, Extremely Powerful and refined engine
Bad : No ABS, Airbags - for this price, the Getz should offer more features

Got my Brand New Getz Diesel CRDI 1.5 GVS this Friday (13th June 2008). Ok, Friday the 13th is not exactly the greatest day to buy a new car, but what the heck!!!

I brought the car from Trident Hyundai, Bangalore. Prior to zeroing on the Getz Prime, i had test driven many cars - the Logan, Indigo, Swift, Swift Dzire, Palio, Verna (!!!) and the Ford Fiesta. I finally had to choose between the Swift Dzire and the Getz, and would have definitely gone for the Dzire if it were not for the 7 month waiting period in force now. On hindsight, I am happy I did not go for the Dzire. I would have missed the opportunity of riding this Beauty from the Hyundai Stable.

Let us start with the looks - The Getz definitely looks stylish. (It always has - atleast more stylish then the Swift). Nice curved contours give it a distinctly masculine look, and the design makes it look stylish and sleek. I chose the Midnight Grey colour. It looks really classy, and from a distance looks almost like a black car. The interiors are a combination of Beige and Grey coloured plastic, and is pretty well laid out. The only thing I did not like about the interiors is the Woodgrain finished central panel of the dashboard. The woodgrain finished plastic does not work for me - It looks pretty cheap and tasteless.

Here is a list of accessories I got for my baby!!

1. Alloy wheels 14" with Tubeless Tyres
2. Rear Spoiler
3. Remote Locking with Up-Modular
4. DVD player (USB and Aux inputs) with LCD console, and a rear mounted Camera that activates when reversing!!!
5. Leather Seat covers and steering cover
6. Body coloured rear view mirrors and door handles

And I am ready to go!!!

Start the engine, and you will be amazed at how little noise the Getz makes. This is the same engine that powers the Verna (Yes all 110bhp of it!!!), and it does not disappoint at all when it comes to power. The Getz has lots and lots and lots of power.  There is not going to be an occassion when the Getz feels underpowered. It is like a mustang, ready to run at the first go!!! The moment you shift gears and hit the road, the Getz gives you a distinct rush of adrenalin. Like all Hyundai cars, the drive is really smooth with a very efficient and stable suspension. The gears engage fluidly, the clutch is pretty smooth. The power steering is extremely smooth and easy to handle. The tilt steering gives the option of adjusting the steering to suit the driver's stature. The view from the cockpit is decent. The driver cannot see the bonnet very clearly (I am 183 cms and I could not see it) but that is not too much of a hassle - most of the small cars including the Swift are like that I guess. On the highway, the Getz performs really well and the drive is simply exhilarating!!! I did a top speed of 100 Kmph, and went a bit easy after that, considering that the car was just out of the showroom. :).I hope to touch 120 -130 shortly. Braking is decent, but can be improved specially considering the awesome power this car delivers. The headlights are a tad underpowered and I changed the factory fitted headlights to 190 halogen lights.

The ride is very smooth, and handling is good even on bad roads (we have miles of these in Bangalore!!!). Mileage is a decent 15 kms per litre with AC on for most of the time. The reverse gear is a bit different to other cars, and might confuse the driver the first few times. The fuel tank is gigantic with a capacity of 45 litres - good enough for most long drives. There is ample legroom in the front, and a very decent space for 3 average sized adults in the rear. The 60:40 bifurcation of the rear seats gives some flexibility for the rear passengers, and the 3 level adjustable rear seats give some reclining options.

As I wrote earlier, the Getz comes with the same engine that powers the Verna, and it is as refined as any other CRDI engine in the market today. There is minimal engine noise, and very little noise inside the car. At low to medium speeds, the Getz handles corners pretty well. The AC is quite powerful.  Initially I had to put it at Speed 3 for faster cooling, and about 15 minutes later I changed it to Speed 1 for the rest of my journey. Power is not impacted even with the AC at full blast (I tried this with 3 adults and 1 kid inside the car).

The Boot does not offer too much by way of space - Just enough for a couple of medium sized suitcases / bags. Speaking about the Boot - the spare wheel is placed pretty deep into the boot, so in the event of a flat tyre, be prepared to exercise your pectorals to lift out the spare tyre.

What I loved about this car? Well, the smoothness, power & pickup, mileage and refinement of the CRDI engine, and the sheer adrenalin surge whenever I get behind the wheels!!!

What I dont like - The Price. At 6,53,000/- on road(Bangalore), the Getz Prime CRDI is not cheap by any standards. The swift VDI costs almost a lakh less. Also, for this price tag, I think Hyundai should provide the following:

1. ABS and Airbags
2. Remote Locking
3. Tubeless Tyres
4. Music system
5. Rear Wiper / Defogger

Moreover, there are absolutely no dealer discounts for the Getz CRDI. No corporate discounts either :(

All in All, I think the Getz i s a very good buy. If you are looking for power, refinement and a decent mileage, you dont need to look too far. The Getz is priceier than the Swift, but is more powerful and a bit more refined. If only Hyundai reduces the price by about 25 - 40k, and spends a bit more on advertising this beauty, I am sure it will give the Swift a run for its money!!! As for me, I am really happy with the car and look forward to a loooong journey with my baby!!!

Happy Getzing.....

Vijay

Satyendra Prabhu on 09 Oct, 2012 at 05:30 PM

And Yes Vijay we had to Start a Club back then.. 4 years Late than Never.. :)

Satyendra Prabhu on 09 Oct, 2012 at 05:29 PM

Visiting this page after about 4 years.

People!! I was wondering since most of us are the Getz CRDi users, who's clocked the highest distance on the ODO.. I completed 1lk 25k as of yesterday and that got me review this post again. So I was wondering if there are users who would then say "damn it is a monster" to now " Damn it is a monster and still crazy or Damn i think i paid a lot more on Maintaining the baby...

Getz/ Outlander/ MM540/ Classic 500

Prashant1703 on 28 Dec, 2009 at 02:24 PM

SORRY BOSS YOU ARE LATE I HAVE TAKEN THE LAST GETZ CRDi PRODUCED IN INDAI. YES LAST IN PLANT ELECTRIC RED GETZ LAST CAR LAST VIN ALLOTED.

Varun on 14 Oct, 2009 at 09:54 PM

can any body tell me abt the mileage this getz prime diesel 1.5 iam actually confused it with a swift and getzz ...... i have taken getz for a test drive .. and i really love tht car in its shape and interiors.....its pick up is tooo great.... now the thing i want to know is abt its mileage ..... can anybody tell me abt its mileage

Anand Mohan on 12 Oct, 2009 at 02:22 PM

Well, with all these praises, this car seems to be good and I might be lucky to get the last available piece at 5,25,000 on road in Delhi. However, all pros and no cons, doesn't make any review complete. There is a 20 kg difference in the kerb weight of Verna & Getz. Are Getz's chasis & body strong enough to hold a 1.5 ltr engine for 5-6 years? Hyundai did not use the same engine for i20 and went for a 1.4 ltr one. Why? i20 isn't priced cheaply though. Would appreciate some commenting.

Dabas on 22 Sep, 2009 at 07:46 PM

HOLA, I donno Wheter ur reviews or Cramped backseats and Unavailability of Swift made up my decission. I've booked the Last piece available in Chennai City. n frm some sources heard that, Getz production has been stopped, as its affecting the Verna sales, they said. Loan processing etc..etc.. this may take up another week for delivery. and it black color. Got it for unbelievable price tag with great discounts and showroom goodies. The sales executive from HMP,chennai is amazing guy - Kiran

Dr Suresh M R on 08 Sep, 2009 at 09:43 PM

Hi Malar and Harish, I am using Getz CRDi since July 1, 2009 and I have covered about 2500 km of which 1500 km in city in 3rd & 4th gears mostly with AC on. First service is also over last week. I find that I am getting around 14 km/l in city and 18 km/l on long trips. This may improve further after 2nd and 3rd service. The maximum speed I attained is about 100 km/hr. The vehicle is extremely fantastic, comfortable & spacious and there is no dearth of power. ABS would have made it even better.

Vijaya Raghavan on 07 Sep, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Malar / Harish, I have been using the Getz CRDi for the last 15 months, done about 21k kms till date. In city conditions I get 12 kms per litre (AC always on), while on long drives, the mileage is slightly higher - around 14 kmpl.

Harish N S on 06 Sep, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Please any one tell me what is the mileage of Getz CRDi, I am planning to buy

Pushparaj Santham on 03 Sep, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Hi, Getzians.. What is the real mileage of Getz CRDi. Because i am planning to buy the car ?