Select Your City

for best experience

Good balance of sturdiness, Fuel economy, Comfortable, and a true 5seater hatch back

A user review on Fiat Palio Stile [2007-2011]. Written by Shashikiran on 05 January, 2008

Price: ₹ N/A
Palio Stile [2007-2011] Details | On Road Price
Shashikiran's Ratings
Own a Fiat Palio Stile [2007-2011]? Help others make an informed buying decision.

• Overall
Version Reviewed : SL 1.1
Purchased As :
Familiarity :
Fuel Economy : kpl
Good : Driveability, steerability at high speeds, comfortable back seat
Bad : slightly sluggish

Hi All,

I Purchased a Fiat Palio 1.1SL Black from Concorde. Its now correct time to talk on the ownership experience, but would like to put down the selection criteria.

Wagon R is a thin metal sheet ok for urban (cross to cross and local area commuting) and is a good replacement for a 3 Wheel autorickshaw. Only thing is it sells at 3.32L for LX despite its huge sales numbers (higher sales gives scope for manufacturer to reduce the margin on individual cars and offer it at lesser price, which maruti is not doing). Xing is a good car except for the backseat comfort and narrow width. Koreans and Japanese people have comfort cause of thier own average people sizes. but still SUMO wrestlers cannot fit in either of these. they still have to go for a SUV. Fuel effy of both these are good, considering, but beware they have 5 seatbelts and can seat 4 people.

Fiat Palio- the front axle width is wider than the back axle (very imprnt for cornering at high speeds). most SUV have similar axle width ratios.

the body is of same width all along and is clearly wider by 10cms then xing and 15cms (half feet) than Wagon R. both xing and WR have equal axle widths and are squarish treads.

Tubeless tyres are in Palio. 165/80 rubber 13inch.

My palio, a Corporate lease car, returned roughly15.8 kmpl in its 3000KMS range with 1300kms city/bad road/hilly terrain drive. this is with in most cases, 5 people on board with GVW-990KGS+360KGS.

Pick up is clearly slow but observe the 1/4 mile distance is covered in 5seconds delay to that of Xing and Wagon R. Even if for the entire life, we cummulate the 5seconds, we may loose 5 yrs time for 60yrs of driving. But tell me who drives for 60yrs driving time and if so, what would 5yrs matter for him then.

If the 3cars are put on race from Bangalore to Delhi (with a perfect straight highway exclusively for the 3), and all the three are on full throttle (that is 150kmph xing, 145kmph wagonR and 131kmph Palio Stile), only then Stile would take a full 3hrs late arrival at Delhi after 15hrs 2200kms continous drive. Thats the maximum difference. We (the palio users never pitch palio for doing this job). We know that our OEM has a much better answer in Ferrari's to do this job. and

Suzuki is known to be a very good BIKE manufacturer.

But lets remember, the tolerance on Indian roads are 80-100kmph and also, I do remember we frequently have to decelerate and accelerate where the Xing's and WagonR's may win.

Most important to remember also is, we do not have a straight track all along. for curves, a Differential width pair of axles (particularly the wide front track) is important (and no tall boy design please). Palio manages to maintain a relatively although may be 10kmph higher speed while cornering.

Another important thing is the 80-0kmph braking distance required, which is the lowest for Palio and the other 2 have real problems.

A typical indian car customer is lured by the BHP (they also dont see at which RPM is the BHP), and the KMPL (they never bother how much is the seating capacity) althought there can be 5 seat belts on every car. well, if we are actually thinking to have a good FE for 1 person, then better drive a Bajaj Platina? for FE, or if we think we need a reasonable so called societal commute (?) then better those buy a 3 BOX Sedan like SX4?.

Among Getz, UVA and Fiat Palio (the comparable 3 cars), The choice is clearly Palio Stile 1.1SL, for some trade off for sure in the pick-up. The power is really pathetically low and is best sutied for sedate driving people. Fiat is just 5cms lesser in width compared to Getz and UVA. Again, please do not take those pick up and BHP figures.

The xing's and Wagon R's are better compared with SPARK (all the 3 are 4seaters 1ltr engines).

Harshal on 09 Oct, 2009 at 08:31 PM

That great review it will definetly help me to choose my car ,thanks

Pacru_2002 on 19 Aug, 2009 at 02:23 PM

Hai i thought i made a mistake buying palio, now i feel i have something good in hand when compared to others

Ajit Bhosale on 12 Jul, 2009 at 08:35 PM

Hi Shashi, Thanks for nice review, I own 1.1 GLX, Black, I drove the car 9000 km in 10 moths. Smooth ride, with 5 people. Pickup low, as compared to my old zen,especailly in ghat section.But its OK if compared other features like, build qulaity, space, safety. FE in city 12 to 13,on highway 17 to 18. Six month back we visited RAJ-MACHI fort near Lonaval. It was my Palio who carry full stuff of picnic and 5 persons, on hillside road,where other car cannot dare.

Pradipta on 16 Jun, 2009 at 04:47 PM

Good review, but i feel fiet stile is a bit underpowered. They could take it to 68-70BHP, so that drive with AC could be better, currentl it is sluggish. Stability wise i would say it is superb.

Venktesh on 10 Jun, 2009 at 10:15 AM

thanks for detailed review

Vijayac on 09 Apr, 2009 at 06:24 PM

Oprajta on 17 Jan, 2009 at 03:35 PM

i am a fiat fan since Padmini days and had owned one. then dere was no shrtage of sp. parts and service. no doubt about fiat products, its style and brand name and its individuality as compare to other vehs in INDIA. d only problem is spare parts availability and service centres. if any one from FIAT read dis pl. let me know what has been done on this front. i want to purchase a palio stile and also waiting for grand punto.

Jayakumar V on 31 Jul, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Nice and good review. I really liked the comments by Mr.Amit Sharma. I own an Indica Xeta back at my native and everyone tells it is "Indica". But once they drive it or travel in it, they change the opinion. With all the shortcomings of an Indica, I really like it. At Bangalore I am planning to buy a car, just researching between Swift/ Palio & Getz (all diesel). Any one any comments on Getz CRDI?

Vishal Dubey on 07 Jun, 2008 at 11:45 AM

good comprehensive review .............

Sswadekar on 21 Apr, 2008 at 01:41 PM

It was good review. I own WagonR. I can drive fast. But WagonR is not meant for high speed drive. It becomes unstable above 100 and air resistance is too much at 130 speed. Overall it is scary at such speed. All working of Bg- Del drive is unnecesary since WR is not for such fast driving. Any comments on palio's fast driving experiance? -Sunil