The CarWale Daily Fuel - 10 July 2012
- Tata Motors has one of the biggest range of vehicles in the Indian market, however, not a single one of these all the way to the premium crossover, the Aria, is available with an automatic transmission. There is certainly a need to add AT variants to the lineup, but indigenously developing them might require a lot of time. Tata is hence planning to import Automatic transmission and certain other components from China in the coming month.
- After becoming the fastest growing brand in the passenger car market in South Africa, Mahindra is hoping for similar success in the commercial vehicles segment. The Utility car major has launched a stripped-down Pick-up truck called, the Bakkie, specifically in SA. The pick-up based on the Scorpio is priced at R149,900 (Rs 10 lakh) and is lot cheaper than all similar vehicles available there.
- What should car makers do, when the depreciating rupee is making imports expensive and affecting profits margins? Export fully built cars, so that they earn more rupees against the dollar during exports. Many manufacturers including VW have been doing this for a while – only Volkswagen plans to increase its operations by now exporting the Vento to Middle East and other African markets.
- An all new SUV in the prices competing with those of the C-segment sedans – we were almost certain about the Renault Duster’s success. The unofficial numbers just confirm the success story – despite limited number of showrooms and after-sales network, Renault has received over 6,000 orders in the first week since launch.
- The tennis superstar, Roger Federer, is at the top of the world once again by winning the Wimbledon, setting bunch of new records and regaining the world No 1 position. The win could not have come at a better time for Mercedes, as the company plans to roll-out a new commercial of the 2013 GL Class, featuring the ever popular Swiss player.
- When we talk about Mini these days, we are not talking just about the sprightly little iconic hatchback which we all love; but an entire lineup staring with the basic hatchback, convertible, crossover and few more including a four-wheel drive rally spec version. The Mini lineup is growing very quickly and they plan to add 10 new models to the range, soon. To keep the future plans on track, the Mini’s current owner, BMW, has announced an investment of another USD 386.9 million in its UK operations.
- The moment Mercedes unveiled the new CLS Shooting Brake, we were sure that we will get to see an AMG edition of the same in coming days. Within couple of days of the launch, the spy images of the AMG edition of this wagon were already available on the net and we were just waiting for official confirmation from Mercedes. The company has now announced the CLS63 AMG – as expected powered by the Mercedes V8 engine producing 525bhp and 700Nm of torque.
- De Tomaso, a small car maker from Europe has filed for bankruptcy. The company has been making losses for quite a while, but was taken over by a Chinese organization, who promised millions of dollars for new development. Unfortunately, the money never came and the company is left with no choice but to shut-down completely.
- Land Rover has launched a new XTech Special Edition of the Defender with additional features to make it look even more rugged. This edition goes on sale in UK later in July with the price tag of 27,995 english Pounds.
- We all love Ken Block’s Gymkhana videos and were eagerly waiting for the latest one for quite some time. Well, the new video is out now, and this one is not shot at some empty parking lot, or open backward or an airfield; but the stunt driver takes the 650bhp Ford Fiesta hits the road quite literally by going around San Francisco city.
The CarWale Daily Fuel is your quick daily dose of automotive news from India and around the world. If you want to know whatever's in the news but want it short and sweet, here's your solution.