Select Your City

A user review on Hyundai i10. Written by ripdaman on 28 August, 2009

Price: ₹ 3.95 - 4.70 lakhs
i10 Details | On Road Price
ripdaman's Ratings
Own a Hyundai i10? Help others make an informed buying decision.

• Overall
Version Reviewed : Magna 1.2 AT
Purchased As :
Familiarity :
Fuel Economy : kpl
Good : Very responsive engine, excellent transmission
Bad : No intermittent mode in wipers, no footrest in place of clutch

I am the proud owner of the first i10 automatic transmission in the city of Chandigarh (1.2 L, Kappa engine, Magna variant with Oyster Grey colour). I took the delivery of my vehicle one year ago on 08/08/08. I allowed the dealer to share my number with others with the result that i got about 40-50 queries reagrding the on road performance of i10 AT from Chandigarh itself! All credit to Hyundai for introducing the automatic transmission in small cars after Suzuki shied away from it and other manufacturers never even gave it a second thought. AT is a boon in the increasingly chaotic and maddening traffic conditions in the cities. Moreover, certain categories if customers like NRIs, aged people, ladies and physically challenged people are also likely to have distinct preference for the AT variants. However, to keep up its first mover advantage and to hold on to this niche segment of customers, Hyundai shall have to ensure that the spare parts of the AT vehicles are readily available and are affordable vis a vis the Manual transmission vehicles. Performance: The 1.2 l kappa engine is very responsive and so is the automatic transmission (the vehicle begins to cruise at 10 kmph even without pressing the accelerator the moment the lever is positioned on Drive (D) mode). The overdrive feature in the AT is an added bonus though one may hardly ever switch it off. The car's handling is very smooth even at 100 kmph. The motor driven power steering is also excellent. I have driven the vehicle for about 10,000 kms so far and the long term average of my vehicle is 12.50 km per litre which i reckon is excellent considering that i drive mainly in city conditions with AC on 50% of the time. Overall the i10 AT is an excellent piece of automotive engineering and I recommend it strongly.

Subramanian, T N on 29 Mar, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Welcome to Carwale!

Hyundais, especially Santros, had this problem of the engine revs not coming down immediately after the accelerator is released. Hyundai had no answer. I found that if you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, this problem goes away temporarily but comes back after a few days. Now it seems that the i-10 AT is having this problem. Try resetting the ECU and post the results. Also get the air filter cleaned. How long since your last service?

P Rameshkumar on 28 Mar, 2013 at 06:16 PM

Hi,

I have been facing similar problem with my Hyundai i10 automatic(2009) since last month. The car is driven abt 13k kms. One fine day I started feeling that when I slow down my car the RPM does not coming down post I apply break(clutch+break as the car is automatic). The engine also makes noise as the gear is still stuck in the higher gear. After few minutes the RPM comes down to normal. This keeps occurring every now and then. But the first 10-15minutes of drive does not have this problem, this issue starts after that. Also If I switch off the engine, then the ignition does not happen immediately,It takes few cranks to get it started and once started I have to leave it for sometime then shift it to 'Drive' mode otherwise the engine gets switched off. I went to Hyundai service station, explained the issue, they could not find out the root cause. I had left the car for 7 days and they found that ignition coil was faulty and they replaced the part(which costed 2k). Now again the issue persists and they don't have an answer for that. Already the fuel efficiency is very bad for this vehicle, now due to this issue, I assume it will be even worse. Please some one help me to identify this issue.

Manoj on 21 Feb, 2013 at 01:26 PM

nothing to worry

after spending few weeks with the car. u'll be able to use both ACC and BRK with right foot

yr technique is dangerous

i drive Hyundai i10 AT

Subramanian, T N on 21 Feb, 2013 at 01:09 PM

Jansi, welcome to Carwale! How long have you been driving a car? If you are a newbie, then you can use your left foot for braking. But practice it for sometime on a ground or some other place where there is no traffic. If you have been driving cars for long, it is dangerous to use your left foot for the brake because your mind is conditioned with 'right foot for brake, left foot for clutch'. You may think that you are comfortable with left foot for the brake but in an emergency, you will not have time to think and if left foot is used, it may not generate sufficient force (as it had been used for clutch in the past). The situation can turn dangerous for the occupants of the car and others. My advice would be to use the right foot for both. BTW, I also drive an automatic, but an A-star.

Jansi on 20 Feb, 2013 at 02:44 AM

Hello Friends,

I recently bought the Hyundai i10 AT car. I overall like the car. One problem I am facing is that the accelerator and brake are little far from each other. I was expecting to use the right foot for both, but currently I am using right foot for accelerator and left for brake. Anybody had same issue? Any help is appreciated.

Manoj on 19 Oct, 2011 at 08:31 AM

not so ..

this may be a problem with your car...plz contact the service center

Owais on 14 Oct, 2011 at 03:18 PM

thea is one prblem in i10 AT that disc brakes r not so effective as compared to other hyundai cars

Ankur Sheel on 13 Sep, 2010 at 04:47 PM

sir i m from H.P. can u plz provide me ur no. i want to talk to u personally.

Mk Productions on 08 May, 2010 at 01:47 PM

I have a minor ligament related pain in my left wrist which comes up 6 months & goes away in a week... m buying a car this month & am seriously considering an automatic transmission... my budget was 4L & right now i10 magna AT 1.2Kappa seems like the only option.

I drive about 1200km in a month & need CNG as a fuel option.

Anyone driven a CNG automatic?

Anyone else except ripdaman who drives an automatic small car?

Manoj on 22 Feb, 2010 at 08:16 PM

i also joining to u all with i10 magna AT...........

keep me update with yr suggestions