for best experience

I want to buy a new car within 3-4 lac range

Pages : 12
#1 14-Apr, 2008 04:25 PM
Jyothi
New Arrival
Joined Date: 14 Apr 2008

Hi all,

Please suggest me to buy a new car within the range of 3-4 lacs. I am confused between TATA indica V2 Turbo DLG and Santro Xing. I drive daily 25 kms in city and monthly once on long drives like 300kms. Is it worthwhile to opt for diesel or petrol ? what are the benefits of diesel over petrol i would like to know

0 members liked this post

#2 14-Apr, 2008 04:35 PM
Kvsk Prasad
Best-seller
Joined Date: 23 Aug 2007

Your usage of about 1000 km a month makes it worthy to consider a diesel - I would say yours is a borderline case.

Based on running cost of the car,

Monthly fuel expense for Tata Indica DLG = 1000*35/14 = 2500

For Santro = 1000*50/13 = 3846 or 3850 approx. So, a monthly saving of about 1350 bucks or annual saving of about 16K.

I would hence say that it is worth considering the Indica turbo DLG - It is a good car and has a pick-up which is near similar to that of a petrol car.

Also the car is very spacious when compared to the Santro and maintaining a Tata car is no longer an issue - it use to be an issue previously, but on current date, it is as good as any other manufacturer.

Regards,

K Prasad

#3 14-Apr, 2008 04:58 PM
Jyothi
New Arrival
Joined Date: 14 Apr 2008

Hi,

Thanks, for your reply. If I have only 25 kms per day ride then what would you suggest ? Please consider the EMI also while deciding.

Jyothi

#4 14-Apr, 2008 05:38 PM
Kvsk Prasad
Best-seller
Joined Date: 23 Aug 2007

Hi,

The economic sense would say a Petrol car and hence a Santro. For usage of 750 kms a month it is a Santro over the Indica Turbo.

I would like to know your preferences really - because apart from petrol and diesel, there are other differences between the cars in question - like,

Santro is better to drive when compared to an Indica - it will cost you slightly less to maintain a Santro when compared to the Indica turbo. But Indica Turbo has better ride quality - suspensions and is a very spacious car. Santro might fetch you a bit more on resale. Santro is also more friendly towards Ladies - it is easier to drive for Women.

Given the strenghts of each of these cars being so different, I would first like you to tell me your other preferences really.

So, do let us know more about your other preferences and then we can derive at a conclusion. Usage wise, if more than 1000, then opt for diesel else petrol.

Regards,

K Prasad

#5 14-Apr, 2008 10:24 PM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007
Petrol cars & Diesel cars are, in fact, not comparable.  One first needs to decide on whether to buy pertrol car or diesel car.  Here's some criteria for doing that (I had posted it before on some other threads) ....

It's hard to choose from the two technologies; Petrol & Diesel.  In order to decide between the two outstanding technologies, what you need to consider is the number of kilometres you clock every year.  Diesel  is a good option if you drive long distances regularly, while Petrol is good if the car is driven mostly over short and medium distances in start-stop city conditions.

Advantage Petrol

• Petrol engines have a better power to weight ratio (great pick-up).
  • Less fatique for the driver.
  • Quick getaways through city traffic.
  • Lower initial cost & service cost.

Advantage Diesel

• Diesel engines with higher torque have better roll-on acceleration and make overtaking easier on the highway.
  • Perfect for long distances.
  • Environmentally friendly.
  • Lower running costs.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#6 19-Jun, 2008 12:52 PM
Mohit Jain
New Arrival
Joined Date: 19 Jun 2008
hi pankaj
i m mohit and i m planning to purchase a petrol car with CNG in the range of 3-4 lacs on installments so what u prefer should i go for second hand car or i should purchase a new one if new one than which model should i prefer whose runnig cost is also pocket friendly .Please reply soon.
Posted by Pankaj Prasad
Petrol cars & Diesel cars are, in fact, not comparable.  One first needs to decide on whether to buy pertrol car or diesel car.  Here's some criteria for doing that (I had posted it before on some other threads) ....

It's hard to choose from the two technologies; Petrol & Diesel.  In order to decide between the two outstanding technologies, what you need to consider is the number of kilometres you clock every year.  Diesel  is a good option if you drive long distances regularly, while Petrol is good if the car is driven mostly over short and medium distances in start-stop city conditions.

Advantage Petrol

• Petrol engines have a better power to weight ratio (great pick-up).
  • Less fatique for the driver.
  • Quick getaways through city traffic.
  • Lower initial cost & service cost.

Advantage Diesel

• Diesel engines with higher torque have better roll-on acceleration and make overtaking easier on the highway.
  • Perfect for long distances.
  • Environmentally friendly.
  • Lower running costs.

#7 19-Jun, 2008 06:07 PM
Rajiv
Legend
Joined Date: 26 Nov 2007

@ Prasad's ..  Pankaj & KVSK... Welcome back. Nice to see u guys

For 1000 kms. well I suggest to go for Indica DLG Turbo.

@ Mohit, Go for the New Car instead of 2nd hand car if ur budget is upto 4 lacs. New car... peace of mind for 3-4 yrs.

@ Jyothi, for ur usage petrol car is fine. Santro/Wagon-r/Estilo/Spark... better if u go for Spark LS... very good car n VFM.

People dont change when you tell them that there is a Better option... They change when they realise that there is No Other Option..

#8 20-Jun, 2008 08:35 AM
Shree !!
Legend
Joined Date: 04 Oct 2007
@ Mohit  a new Santro XIng CNG is available at your given budget , so i think it would be better if you go fo rit , and also waranty of 2 + 1 year you will have!

Cheers,
Sri

#9 20-Jun, 2008 02:47 PM
Rajiv
Legend
Joined Date: 26 Nov 2007

Oops... I thought Prasad's r back, just checked d date ..still waiting to see

Yeah if you wish u can go for Santro CNG but if Petrol den go for little chevy. Too good small car to own.

People dont change when you tell them that there is a Better option... They change when they realise that there is No Other Option..

#10 01-Feb, 2009 09:26 PM
Shruti
New Arrival
Joined Date: 01 Feb 2009

Hi,

I am Sangeeta. I am looking for car that is spacious i like Indica but i heard that it is not a good car for female. is this true i am really confused help me in getting the better car in the range between 3-4 lacs. is there any other option coz indica is really comfortable car , what are the disadvantage of disel car specially for female.

Wating for suggetion

Pages : 12

Ask the Experts

1800 2090 230

(Toll free)