Turbocharger

Pages : 123
#1 03-Apr, 2008 08:01 PM
Srinand Piedpet
New Arrival
Joined Date: 03 Apr 2008

Hello Guys,

This is Srinand. I have written an article on turbocharger for CarWale.com under 'Aspire & Become Motoring Journalist' contest. Follows is the article URL:

http://www.carwale.com/research/articles/turbocharger.aspx

I would appreciate your comments and suggestions on the article.

Thanks.

Srinand

0 members liked this post

#2 15-Apr, 2008 06:42 PM
Pavan
New Arrival
Joined Date: 15 Apr 2008
Where can I buy one good twin turbo charger? Do we have any good manufactures / imports in India? Also where can I locate a reliable mechanic / installer in India? I want to enhance my Mahindra Bolero DI engine.

#3 16-Apr, 2008 06:29 AM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007
Srinanad, good & useful article.  Thanks

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#4 20-May, 2008 06:05 PM
Wsj
New Arrival
Joined Date: 20 May 2008
It would be nice if someone can give detailed view of what engines can be turned into turbo. (Petrol, diesel) cost estimation for parts and equipments and skilled mechanics to do it. Are these kits on sale in India?

#5 27-May, 2008 10:10 AM
Gd
New Arrival
Joined Date: 18 Apr 2008
Wsj, do you have a particular car and engine in mind? Cost estimation can be done based on that. There are no bolt-on turbo jobs; tuning is required.

#6 06-Jun, 2008 01:34 PM
Sanket
Long-termer
Joined Date: 06 Jun 2008

First of all check what is the compression ratio(CR) of ur Bolero engine. I am not sure but shud be about 20:1. If more than 21:1, then you have a major bill staring at you. You will either have to hunt for lower compression pistons OR search or get a custom made thicker head gasket. the second option is cheaper. U can look in to yellow pages for workshops which will cut the gasket for you. The third option, very expensive, work the head with some reputed lathe workshop. I will not recomend that.

If the CR is 20:1, then you can visit a scrap dealer. Look for the Indica diesel turbo charger(insist on the entire assembly) and intercooler. You will have to cut the exhaust pipe and make room for the same. Push the catcon a little behind. The mechanic will do that for you. But make sure you do it all with a good mechanis. Donot go to the service centre, they wont help you. And donot ever forget the intercooler. Incase you do not knw, thats just a small radiator. Open the Indica Turbo bonnet and see that for yourself. And once you find out the cost, do let me knw.

#7 06-Jun, 2008 01:46 PM
Sanket
Long-termer
Hi, the article is nicely written and the basic info is in place. Ever tried making one??? I tried making a supercharger for my M800. Havent yet installed it. Cud have included info abt the superchargers as well in short.

#8 08-Jun, 2008 09:04 PM
Sanket
Long-termer

Yes. First of ALL, check if the Bolero gearbox can handle the extra torque of the turbo. Ideally it shud.

Posted by Sanket Pingale

First of all check what is the compression ratio(CR) of ur Bolero engine. I am not sure but shud be about 20:1. If more than 21:1, then you have a major bill staring at you. You will either have to hunt for lower compression pistons OR search or get a custom made thicker head gasket. the second option is cheaper. U can look in to yellow pages for workshops which will cut the gasket for you. The third option, very expensive, work the head with some reputed lathe workshop. I will not recomend that.

If the CR is 20:1, then you can visit a scrap dealer. Look for the Indica diesel turbo charger(insist on the entire assembly) and intercooler. You will have to cut the exhaust pipe and make room for the same. Pust the catcon a little behind. The machanic will do that for you. But make sure you do it all with a good mechanis. Donot go to the service centre, they wont help you. And donot ever forget the intercooler. Incase you do not knw, thats just a small radiator. Open the Indica Turbo bonnet and see that for yourself. And once you find out the cost, do let me knw.

#9 09-Jun, 2008 04:52 PM
Sanket
Long-termer

1. You can fit the 120 W bulb but not without damaging the reflectors. Instead check with the service station if they can move the headlight relay closer to the headlamps. Will not cost mch and also giv better illumination. Alternatively you can use foglamps if you feel the beam is not sufficient.

2.  The standard tyres are decent enuf. If you want you can upgrade to the 14 inchers of the Indica Turbo or go for 175/65 tyres at the max. Any furthur and fuel efficiency will suffer. Try tubeless tyres of the standard size.

3. With small bulbs, do u mean the reading lights??? If yes, u can get one fitted at a local accesory store. Before you actuallt do that check with them what modifications they will be doing. Shud not look ugly.

Posted by AshisThh Bawkar

Hi all, how u doing ?

Myself Ashish from Pune. I have recently bought Indica Xeta GLG (1.2) in January 2008. I have few questions in my mind.

1. I feel that Headlight capacity (65Watt) is quite less & want to upgrade to 120Watts. Is it possible ? if it so, what will be cost? Is it safe for use?

2. I want to change tyre size from 165/60 to bigger width let's say to 185. is it possible ? will it affect performance or fuel efficiency ?

3. Want to fit small bulbs at rear seats as they are avialble at front seats. is it possible ?

Somebody expert. Please advice ....

#10 16-Jun, 2008 09:26 AM
Gd
New Arrival
Joined Date: 18 Apr 2008
Minor point, Ashish, but did you notice that the article is about turbochargers? You don't seem to have posted anything related to them.

Posted by Ashish Bawkar

Hi all, how u doing ?

Myself Ashish from Pune. I have recently bought Indica Xeta GLG (1.2) in January 2008. I have few questions in my mind.

1. I feel that Headlight capacity (65Watt) is quite less & want to upgrade to 120Watts. Is it possible ? if it so, what will be cost? Is it safe for use?

2. I want to change tyre size from 165/60 to bigger width let's say to 185. is it possible ? will it affect performance or fuel efficiency ?

3. Want to fit small bulbs at rear seats as they are avialble at front seats. is it possible ?

Somebody expert. Please advice ....

Pages : 123