DIY Bixenon HID projector headlamps

Pages : 12345
#1 30-Oct, 2009 12:30 AM
Dr Abhijeet Yadav Yadav
Best-seller
Joined Date: 13 Apr 2009

I could not resist the temptation of DIYing This retrofitment peocess after watching this wonderful video from you tube.

What are Projector headlights?

These are non reflector types of Headlamps that are based on Prism principle to deliever a sharp beam of light produced from bulb assembly.

They were primarily introduced to cut the cons of HID kits that usualy produce day like lighting but due to limited reflector capabilities gets scattered and produce glare to oncoming traffic.[illegal]

Its like developing a system of lighting to tame the beams.

It can be SINGLE/BIXENON depending on the needs.

Single: uses a PROJECTOR BULB FOR HIGH BEAM,and a reflector as well for the low beam[city use]

BIXENON:utilises a single projector that has a shield[metal piece embedded inside that can be made to adjust automatically] preventing unwanted high beam by default,actually converting the Low beam function.

HIDs are used with them for better illumination minus the scattering beams and glare issues.

These Bixenon projectors were first to be introduced in Germany BMW.

Top notch Auto companies developed LED Projector headlamps as well.

You can see here the throw of light and the brightness from these Projector headlamps.

Note the sharp ''CUTOFF" at the upper brim.
These are what is produced by Bixenon lamps to prevent glare to oncoming traffic and is useful in city traffic.

This is the projector assembly,notice the Front mounted Lens[more the quality=more defined and fine beam of light you will get]

Front of the assembly is surrounded by Shroud+bezels to cover the assembly for cosmetic purposes.

They can also have ANGEL eyes that are used as daytime running lights instead of Parking lights.

Note in the last pic,there is a projector[left] + reflector[right].This is to ensure that when in city,The single beam projector without the cutoff solenoid doesnt glare traffic so a low beam light from the reflector is used for lighting on low beam.

Whereas the Bixenon Lamps dont have reflectors because the cutoff is produced inside the Lens projector assembly for the same to have a low beam function.

Now coming to the DIY stuff.

Step 1.Procure all the necessory material required for the process.

With loads of imagination and money at stake.

This is the Before pic.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
Last Updated: 30-Oct, 2009 12:37 AM, by Dr.Abyshines
0 members liked this post

#2 30-Oct, 2009 12:37 AM
Dr Abhijeet Yadav Yadav
Best-seller

And i am sure of myself that the final product will be more than satisfying than the one here in pic.

So wish me luck.Will keep updating with lot more pics and step by step details for future purposes.

I have procured  the Headlamps from the workshop,because dont wish to put these lights at stake.

RETROFITTING will be done on the Original LIGHTS but spare ones like i purchased today.

NExt in the shopping list are the equipments,and i will follow soon with pics.

Dont worry its gonna be a long wait to success,so keep watching this space for more to follow.Innocent

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

#3 30-Oct, 2009 09:46 AM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

Aby, it seems you forgot to mention the source of photos etc.

Interesting thread.  Will look forward to updates.  All the best. 

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#4 30-Oct, 2009 03:55 PM
Dr Abhijeet Yadav Yadav
Best-seller

Oops forgot that completely.Will post the urls asap.

#5 31-Oct, 2009 12:17 AM
Dr Abhijeet Yadav Yadav
Best-seller

Little homework,i thought might help.

[LOLs,basically wanted to keep the enthu running]

Inquired abtout the Retro source for necessory things,Best projectors+hid+bezel+harness+ccfl angel eyes+ZKW-r bulbs+ballasts=20k [inclusive of shipping].

OEM headlamps purchased for 6k inclusive of tax.

Total cost might run to 30k+Tongue out

MODS can you pardon me for not posting the Links for previous pics.Wont repeat next time.

Last Updated: 31-Oct, 2009 12:30 AM, by Dr.Abyshines

#6 31-Oct, 2009 08:10 AM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

It's okay (it happens).  But while providing futher updates, at least mention the name/source of the earlier photos.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#7 31-Oct, 2009 08:21 PM
Dr Abhijeet Yadav Yadav
Best-seller

Ok boss.Innocent

#8 17-Nov, 2009 05:10 PM
Henry Aruja
Long-termer
Joined Date: 03 Sep 2009

hello any body there.this thread has been lying dead for about three weeks.Aby have stopped your DIY

Aby cant you fix the projectors on the headlamp turnsignal and make the park lamp as the turn signal light .thereby you can have a projector and a naked bulb and you can make the projectors for the high beam and the naked bulb for the low beam here is a reference pic  

LIVING LIFE IN THE FAST LANE

#9 17-Nov, 2009 06:25 PM
Henry Aruja
Long-termer
Joined Date: 03 Sep 2009

there are projector kits available which include 6000k hid's angel eyes .these cost 12k

fixing this is very easy it is just like replacing your bulbs but youu have to open up your headlamps

Do give reference to pictures posted, further pictures without reference will be removed-MODS

LIVING LIFE IN THE FAST LANE
Last Updated: 18-Nov, 2009 06:59 AM, by Binoy.Thomas

#10 17-Nov, 2009 06:49 PM
Dr Abhijeet Yadav Yadav
Best-seller

Henry thanks for the Info but these projectors are not good enough when comparing them to the one i am considering as on Output basis.

The ones mentioned above are more costly when compared to the quality.

Pages : 12345