is Teflon Coating necessary for car?

Pages : 12345
#1 27-Apr, 2006 09:22 PM
Suketu Shah
New Arrival
Joined Date: 27 Apr 2006
i have recently bought swift vxi. is it necessory to have a teflon coating? pl tell me advantages of teflon coating.

0 members liked this post

#2 27-Apr, 2006 10:23 PM
Banwari Lal Sharma
Joined Date: 19 Jan 2006
Dear Dr. Shah, If you hadn't bought the car yet, you could insist the dealer for free Teflon coating. However this is not provided free by company, dealers do provide it to asking customers. Anyways, Teflon coating is a good-to-have protection, if you live at excessively humid place, it becomes a must-have-thing! Teflon Coating does protect your car from rust, scratches and environmental paint damages. It will cost you around 5000 as a whole, 3000 body coating and 2000 under-body coating. There is no harm in having it but there is no advantage either if you live at a dry place and your car is not prone to rust, scratches.

View new CarWale logo: http://www.carwale.com/forums/35839-new-carwale-identity.html

#3 28-Sep, 2007 03:45 PM
Robert John
New Arrival
Joined Date: 28 Sep 2007
how can we make out the difference between a simple and teflon coated car?

#4 02-Apr, 2008 10:23 AM
Murali
New Arrival
Joined Date: 02 Apr 2008

Hi.  Actually, if the paint quality is in top condition and the paint is quite stiff on the surface, you cannot tell the difference before and after Teflon coating to a greater extent as the paint will not absorb the Teflon, of course you will find some difference in the shine and lusture.  But more than the looks, the car is protected from many environmental pullutants, dust, rust, water etc.  It will even cover up the existing minor scratches over the body and also it will prevent any further minor scratches.

Rgds,

Murali

#5 02-Apr, 2008 10:50 AM
Kvsk Prasad
Best-seller
Joined Date: 23 Aug 2007

Well, teflon coating is pretty much mandatory in Indian Conditions. Let me share my experience with you all.

A 15-day old, Shining Silky Silver Swift VXi, I was the proud owner and on the wheels and suddenly I encounter a stretch of road that was getting relaid.

During the first service, the mechanic tells me that there is something wrong with the paint and that there are little black spots on the car (needle head size) - "Damber hoiyega Saib. Usko diesel wash karane ka  - gadi pe teflon lagela hai na - agar nahi hai to permanent locha hai saib"

So, there you go - the spots have been taken care by a diesel wash - infact the guy did it himself - I didn't even ask him for it and its gone - Believe me, it was the teflon coating that saved the day and my car is back to as it was to the same SSSS VXi.

Taking Teflon - yes, most dealers do it - there is a wide range of products available and if a dealer has said he will do it, consider that he is going for the cheapest one - this will last for about 6 months. Alternately, there are advanced Acrylic coats that set you back by a good 2000 - 2500 bucks but they come with a guarantee of as much as 3 years.

In my opinion, teflon coating is more of a protection rather than aesthetics that it brings by adding a bit more shine to the car and specifically in Indian conditions where most of us generally hit spots on the road where the roads are being reliad - it is an annual ritual atleast in Mumbai with roads getting relaid every year.

Cheers then,

K Prasad

#6 02-Apr, 2008 10:59 AM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007
Teflon coating normally comes with 2 free/additional applications at an interval of 6 months each.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#7 02-Apr, 2008 04:37 PM
Kvsk Prasad
Best-seller
Joined Date: 23 Aug 2007

There are so many options under teflon coatings - some start at right from 600 per coat and it goes all the way upto 3500 per coating.

I got an acrylic paint sealant done by the dealer and it comes straight with a 3 year warranty - no multiple coats / one coat every 6 months - a single coating lasts the distance. The coating will be inspected at each and every service and any thing that needs to be fixed is done - minor scratches here and there are re-coated - that is the offer and I took it straight away as this one involves less pain - no need to take the car for any further coats - costs a lot more at 2500 bucks, but it is worth the money considering the duration it lasts.

Got to tell you that it is doing a very good job for the hairline scratches (facial scratches that can be noticed in light reflected from the car) that appear because of daily cleaning with a damp cloth are also not seen till date - So, it is doing a very good job.

Cheers,

K Prasad

#8 18-Nov, 2008 06:12 PM
Pradeep
Beloved
Joined Date: 01 Nov 2008
I am planning to buy I10 Sportz, Dealer is offering me in free either teflon coating or Anti-Rust coating, which one I should select.
What are things that I may confirm with dealer regarding teflon/anti rust caoting i mean which type of caotiing any waranty/guarnteeetc

#9 18-Nov, 2008 06:15 PM
Binoy
Joined Date: 23 Apr 2008
Teflon is not needed-in fact can be deleterious-anti-rust is all that is needed.

3M does anti-rust for 3 year and 5 year warranties.

#10 18-Nov, 2008 06:26 PM
Kartik
Best-seller
Joined Date: 05 Jun 2008
What do dis Anti Rust coating do..???
Is i really needed..??
i men here only in carwale I read  ki al these teflon & anti rust is a`catch in India.Nothing like this is done abroad...
Also,my i10 is standing in front of sunlight.Means its roof is continuosly under suns's coverage.Anything i need to worry...??
Is DuPont Anti Rust product better than 3M.

YVES LAROCK drew me & da whole Pune in his Anthems.

Pages : 12345