Select Your City

for best experience

Would this be legal in India?

Pages : 12
#1 28-Feb, 2009 02:52 PM
Krishna
Joined Date: 10 Jan 2009

Photo Courtesy: www.ecomodder.com

Would this kind of modification be voiding registration of vehicle in India?

Section 52 of Motor Vehicle Rules states

'52. Alteration in motor vehicle.-(1) No owner of a motor vehicle shall so alter the vehicle that the particulars contained in the certificate of registration are at variance with those originally specified by the manufacturer: Provided that where the owner of a motor vehicle makes modification of the engine, or any part thereof, of a vehicle for facilitating its operation by different type of fuel or source of energy including battery, compressed natural gas, solar power, liqu d petroleum gas or any other fuel or source of energy, by fitment of a conversion kit, such modification shall be carried out subject to such conditions as may be prescribed: Provided further that the Central Government may prescribe specifications, conditions for approval, retrofitment and other related matters for such conversion kits: Provided also that the Central Government may grant exemption for alteration of vehicles in a manner other than specified above, for any specific purpose.

Would this modification attract the provisions quoted above? (Triggering Feroz especially, but that does not hold others back from responding...)

More about this car: This car, modified for better aerodynamics, gives the owner 40 kmpl driving at speeds of ~140 kmph. The car is 12 years old Civic, and is the toast of the town as far as modifications for FE are concerned. Visiting his private website www.aerocivic.com is a must for those eager to understand and pick up a point or two of the aerodynamics that went into this crazy shape of the car and the crazy benefits it brings!

0 members liked this post

#2 28-Feb, 2009 04:40 PM
Rohit
Joined Date: 10 Nov 2008

well, technically that car's engine has not been modified - so it does not void the RTO's stipulation. However that modification makes the car look different (odd?) - so it will attract attention, not for its engine but for its looks. And you know how it is`with govt officials here...

S = k.I^2, where S is the amount of stupidity a species possesses, I is the intelligence the species has and k is the universal constant of stupidity.

#3 28-Feb, 2009 07:41 PM
Krishna

Thanks Rohit, I was suspecting something on these lines...

BTW the quote above is incomplete, the subsection text is missing.. A complete text can be found here

#4 28-Feb, 2009 08:10 PM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

The rules permit changes/modifications in the engine (alone) subject to various conditions. It, therefore, appears/implies that no other modifications are permitted (other than engine).

Yes, I too am eager to see Feroz comment on this.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#5 28-Feb, 2009 08:34 PM
Feroz
Best-seller
Joined Date: 19 Oct 2008

For information see the ingredients of Sec 52 of Motor Vehicles Act as amended in 2000 fully:

'52. Alteration in motor vehicle.

(1) No owner of a motor vehicle shall so alter the vehicle that the particulars contained in the certificate of registration are at variance with those originally specified by the manufacturer: Provided that where the owner of a motor vehicle makes modification of the engine, or any part thereof, of a vehicle for facilitating its operation by different type of fuel or source of energy including battery, compressed natural gas, solar power, liquid petroleum gas or any other fuel or source of energy, by fitment of a conversion kit, such modification shall be carried out subject to such conditions as may be prescribed: Provided further that the Central Government may prescribe specifications, conditions for approval, retrofitment and other related matters for such conversion kits: Provided also that the Central Government may grant exemption for alteration of vehicles in a manner other than specified above, for any specific purpose

(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), a State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, authorise, subject to such conditions as may be specified in the notification, and permit any person owning not less than ten tran port vehicles to alter any vehicle owned by him so as to replace the engine thereof with engine of the same make and type, without the approval of registering authority

(3) Where any alteration has been made in motor vehicle without the approval of registering authority or by reason of replacement of its engine without such approval under sub-section (2), the owner of the vehicle shall, within fourteen days of the maki g of the alteration, report the alteration to the registering authority within whose jurisdiction he resides and shall forward the certificate of registration to that authority together with the prescribed fee in order that particulars of registration ma be entered therein

(4) A registering authority other than the original registering authority making any such entry shall communicate the details of the entry to the original registering authority

(5) Subject to the provisions made under sub-sections (1), (2), (3) and (4), no person holding a vehicle under a hire-purchase agreement shall make any alteration to the vehicle except with the written consent of the registered owner

Explanation.For the purposes of this section, "alteration" means a change in the structure of a vehicle which results in a change in its basic feature.'

In this case only the underlined part is valid. So it is against rules.

For each model entering the market ARAI sent the specification details to each and every RT Office in the country. Any variation of the vehicle from that specification is considered violation of this rule. The alterations that can be validated at RTO are only internal changes, like fuel, engine, battery etc. and not external modifications.

Please note that even changing the mudguard with a different form in a motorcycle is illegal.

Sec. 191 is also invoked against sellers for the same violation.

p.s : sorry, I did not notice Pankaj's post and Krishna's new post.

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.
Last Updated: 28-Feb, 2009 08:39 PM, by Feroz

#6 28-Feb, 2009 08:51 PM
Krishna

So these companies that 'mod' the vehicles for performance, doing wild things as free flow exhaust, air filter changes, even Cylinder boring/head shaving/grooving to change original displacement, ECU remaps etc are all putting the legal status of the vehihcle in a limbo?? And their entire business is based on abetting such acts?

#7 01-Mar, 2009 01:05 AM
Rachit
Best-seller
Joined Date: 07 Nov 2008

It will help to increase the car's mileage for sure, as it is of the shape of water drop, which has the least co-efficient of drag. And I seriously doubt that the RTO will approve it. Because if such things were allowed, all cars would be shaped in this manner to increase the mileage and reduce the drag at the same time.

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just ran out of talent!

#8 01-Mar, 2009 01:15 AM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

Any modification which has no approval will also void the warranty & insurance cover.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#9 01-Mar, 2009 07:07 AM
Krishna

Wonder why car manufacturers have not come up with this trick... Usually this is my killer line for hoaxes, but here, sincerely, it would save people megabucks as well as increase driving pleasure to the level of racers...

Guess it is to keep the speeds under control, so that instances of speeding decrease. Look at the insane FE at insane speeds too...!

@Rachit - You mean we have to vountarily submit it for re-approval or how... ?

Last Updated: 01-Mar, 2009 07:09 AM, by Krishna

#10 01-Mar, 2009 10:39 AM
Feroz
Best-seller
Joined Date: 19 Oct 2008

You cannot apply to RTO for ratification of these type of modifications. Even if you apply, it will not be accepted as there is no law to approve those modifications.

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Pages : 12

Ask the Experts

1800 2090 230

(Toll free)