Shifted my car to Mumbai from Hyderabad. Road tax / Octroi / Registration ?

Pages : 12345678
#1 03-Feb, 2009 05:21 PM
Kiran
Beloved
Joined Date: 03 Feb 2009

Hi all,

I shifted my maruti 800 from hyderabad to mumbai. I have noc of the vehicle with me which i had taken in nov 08.

Iam not sure how long i will be staying in mumbai. Please let me know whether i need to pay the road tax here? octroi?

or just registering the vehicle will do? can i drive the car with noc for how many months?

Please help...

0 members liked this post

#2 07-Feb, 2009 11:09 PM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

NOCs are generally valid for 3 months.

As I understand in general... there's no tax for usage not exceeding 3 months.  For usage more than that but less than 1 year, 1-year tax is payable (no NOC or re-registration is required).  I have recently learned (am not very sure) that in Pune (may apply to Mumbai/Maharashtra as well) they have stopped accepting 1-year tax - you have to pay life-time tax & seek refund when you relocate back in a year's time (NOC required then).

Please check/ascertain locally - RTO rules vary a little from state to state.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#3 09-Mar, 2009 04:48 PM
Kiran
Beloved

Thanks a lot Pankaj.

You are really doing a very good job in this forum. Much appreciated.

I paid both tax and octroi at rto worli (mumbai). Road tax is 7% on car value.

octroi is 4.5 % on car value.

I thought its better to pay the tax rather shelling out money to the cops while driving

Thanks again...

Last Updated: 09-Mar, 2009 04:51 PM, by kiran

#4 10-Mar, 2009 08:29 AM
Pankaj Prasad

Thanks for the kind words.  It's our pleasure to be of some help.

Please keep writing/sharing your experience on cars in various thread/discussions.  Thanks.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#5 19-Mar, 2009 05:44 PM
Vikas
New Arrival
Joined Date: 19 Mar 2009

Posted by Rafael

Thanks a lot Pankaj.

You are really doing a very good job in this forum. Much appreciated.

I paid both tax and octroi at rto worli (mumbai). Road tax is 7% on car value.

octroi is 4.5 % on car value.

I thought its better to pay the tax rather shelling out money to the cops while driving

Thanks again...

Thanks Rafael for the info.However can u also guide me how to determine the "CAR VALUE" that u r referring to in your post.I have a 2003 santro whose WDV value as per Insurance co. is 135000 as of today.Is that the value to be considered or is there some other formula.If possible can u share your car details wrt cost etc so I can get an idea.

Also is there any schedule available on the net for these values.Hoping for a response from ur end

-Vikas

#6 19-Mar, 2009 07:06 PM
Kiran
Beloved

Hi Vikas,

Before going to RTO office even i thought it would be the car value in the insurance but unfortunately they are not taking that value. Instead RTO people are having their own depreciation slabs with them. If you have the car invoice with u then they will calculate according to the price in the invoice. In case if you do not have the invoice they will have hte current price of the car with them. For my maruti 800 which is 2004 model. I paid around 17k as the road tax. I would suggest you to directly go to the rto so that you can see the slab and calculate the road tax. They RTO officer there will help you with the calculations.

Thanks...

#7 20-Mar, 2009 11:46 AM
Vikas
New Arrival
Joined Date: 19 Mar 2009

This info is a great help since the RTO agent I contacted, said the same thing abt having to find out the value of the car from the RTO officer only

Your info corroborates it

Thanks a ton.....

#8 01-Jun, 2009 10:36 PM
Kiran
Beloved

hi sbhushan, if u have all the documents ready its just the matter of 1 day....you can pay the road tax and octroi on the same day... you need to have the foll docs ready in original....

rc

insurance

puc

noc from hyd

address proof

affidavit

few forms whihch you will have to fill in rto

#9 22-Jun, 2009 01:59 PM
Ramesh
New Arrival
Joined Date: 22 Jun 2009

Posted by Rafael

Hi Vikas,

Before going to RTO office even i thought it would be the car value in the insurance but unfortunately they are not taking that value. Instead RTO people are having their own depreciation slabs with them. If you have the car invoice with u then they will calculate according to the price in the invoice. In case if you do not have the invoice they will have hte current price of the car with them. For my maruti 800 which is 2004 model. I paid around 17k as the road tax. I would suggest you to directly go to the rto so that you can see the slab and calculate the road tax. They RTO officer there will help you with the calculations.

Thanks...

Hi When you say they took the depreciation slabs, and invoice value they still depreicated it right? I mean if I buy a used car which is made in 2007, would the calculation be done ont he original invoice price or the depreciated value?

#10 22-Jun, 2009 11:13 PM
Pankaj Prasad

The depreciated value (2009) will be calculated based on the invoice price (2007).

Pages : 12345678