Avoid posting in SMS & Slang language

Pages : 12
#1 24-Jan, 2009 01:42 PM
Sabareesh Moorthy
Long-termer
Joined Date: 16 Apr 2008

Mods, I feel that we should introduce this rule where in people are discouraged to post in SMS and Slang language. The posts should be readable and easy to understand, The SMS, Slang lingo irritates a lot and makes it difficult for the user to read.

JEEP - Faithful as a Dog, Strong as a Mule, Agile as a Goat.
0 members liked this post

#2 24-Jan, 2009 08:51 PM
Feroz
Best-seller
Joined Date: 19 Oct 2008

Even though we are used to SMS language, it is not suitable for a forum meant for serious discussion. Mods can warn or if they are generous enough correct the language in threads. Any how light talks in general discussion section should be exempted from this rule.

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.

#3 24-Jan, 2009 08:51 PM
Binoy
Joined Date: 23 Apr 2008

This is already an establised rule-have a look here. The members are given a free hand at posting their views and opinions and unviable posts(to use a 'moderate' word) are deleted/edited.

#4 24-Jan, 2009 09:49 PM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

But sometimes deleting/editing is a BIG PAIN - especially in case of a few members who, despite such repeated deleting/editing and also discussing this/such aspects with them in the forums, are continuing with their SMS language & meaningless posts (I don't mean all their posts are meaningless).

Sorry to say, have never come across such DUMB people.

I think, sooner or later, we may have to mention this categorically in the Rules thread too.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.
Last Updated: 24-Jan, 2009 09:51 PM, by Pankaj.Prasad

#5 24-Jan, 2009 10:27 PM
Feroz
Best-seller
Joined Date: 19 Oct 2008

There are some SMS addicted persons and they use the same language in their emails also. It is really difficult for them to change this habit.

We have to specify that points earned through meaningless posts will not fetch them a CAR from Carwale.Frown

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.

#6 24-Jan, 2009 10:36 PM
Pankaj Prasad

In fact, they fail to realise that this SMS language & meaningless posts, though are fetching them points by default, are not helping them in any way.

They don't even realise, despite their posts being deleted/edited on numerous occasions, that they are taking away so much of time of the Mods.  Either they are dumb or trying to tease. Off-late, it has left a very bitter feeling in me.

A message for them... There is a big difference in being 'smart' & 'oversmart' - better understand.

@Sabareesh, thanks for starting this thread - I'm able to put my feelings out so openly here.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.
Last Updated: 24-Jan, 2009 10:40 PM, by Pankaj.Prasad

#7 24-Jan, 2009 11:24 PM
Krishna
Joined Date: 10 Jan 2009

I am also concerned that young members, who are in their colleges / waiting to launch their careers, would be seriously hampered in their written communication skills  (today all written business communication is email) if they persist in their 'SMS' 'cool' 'funky' 'oversmart' way of expressing themselves...

I myself have come across examples, where mails were complete gibberish. Add to that the global business environmrnt, and the chances of someone from this group goofing a message skyrocket.

While it is nice to dazzle the janta, I would also encourage the lot to pick up some structured writing skills while having a good time...

Last Updated: 24-Jan, 2009 11:25 PM, by Krishna

#8 24-Jan, 2009 11:42 PM
Pankaj Prasad

Honestly, more than the SMS language/style of writing, it's the meaningless posts & taking the discussions off-track now & then is what the Mods are more bitter about. They participate just for the sake of it - and in various threads.

All may not be able to see all this, as such posts/discussions are being deleted on on-going basis - others too suffer in the process.

This is probably the first time I'm expressing my unhappiness so openly.

#9 25-Jan, 2009 01:01 PM
Pankaj Prasad

Posted by Krishna

I am also concerned that young members...

@Krishna, just to add/clarify... some young members are really good - they make us feel proud (I hope the members concerned - under discussion - do not mistake this being referred to them).

And, now that I have stated all this so openly, let me also admit that Mods here are stupid to 'tolerate' in the name of 'patience' - and I take the entire 'credit' for that.

@Binoy, sorry here I would not share any 'credit' with you, as you are very new to the Mod's role. 

@Banwari, I don't mind sharing the 'credit' with you - if you wish to take some.

Last Updated: 25-Jan, 2009 01:04 PM, by Pankaj.Prasad

#10 25-Jan, 2009 02:06 PM
Binoy
Joined Date: 23 Apr 2008

This is something that has to be taken seriously as it reflects off the forums and as such the members(also the moderators to a greater extend).

I was amazed at the patience that Pankaj was showing the members when i joined the forum-it surely show character and the the spirit of patience-kudos to him!

I would like to discuss the 'tolerance levels' with my colleagues and the action to be taken henceforth on that behalf.

@Banwari-comments?

Pages : 12
This discussion is closed for new replies.