Modifications, Accessories & Audio System for Swift

#1 12-Sep, 2008 06:15 PM
Ami
Ami
Legend
Joined Date: 12 Sep 2008
I will be getting my Dream car – White Swift Vxi in my hometown Thrissur on 26th.
I wish to make the following modifications to the car.

Rear top spoiler
What all are the criteria to it.

Reverse guide
Again, what all are the criteria to it. Also, suggest some brands and tentative pricing.

Alloy Wheels & Tires:
1.    I’ve heard complaints regarding alloy wheels breakage. Is it common and also how to avoid it?
2.    Which are the decent brands available? (with price / tire)
3.    Suggested rim sizes.
4.    Suggested tire brands and tire dimensions.
5.    Should I go for a set (alloys) of 4 or set of 5? Considering that I can retain a stock tire and the new tires will be tubeless ones.

Audio System:
This is the configuration I’ve have in mind.

Option 1:
HU: Pioneer (with USB)
Rear: Polk DB690/691
Front: JBL component system.
Cost: 16K.
Does this require an amplifier???

Option 2:
HU: Pioneer (with USB)
Rear: Polk MOMO
Front: JBL component system.
Amplifier: JBL
Cost: 27-30k

Please suggest me the model numbers for the above as I don’t them. Also include the price if known.
Should i change the brands mentioned above??
Could you guys suggest me a better configuration, which is also cost effective? I would prefer audio to have more clarity. I only pump up the volume once in a while.

Car Security:
Is the one that MGA provides good enough. Or shall I go for some third party one. If yes, which one and how much is the cost?
I’ve heard that there is a model which also closes the windows. Is that one preferred?

Cooling Film:
Brands and Specifications.

Last but not the least, Suggest me some places in Thrissur where I can have this done.

Guys, This is my first car and I don’t have much of budget constraint. Guys rest is on you………….

Last Updated: 12-Sep, 2008 06:15 PM, by Ami
0 members liked this post

#2 12-Sep, 2008 08:43 PM
Binoy
Joined Date: 23 Apr 2008
Well here is some info:

Rear spoiler - personally do not recommend it because it does change the aerodynamics of the car and also the FE will come down by a bit,
There are two types - flush mounted(common ones)

and the hatch hinged versions like this.

its a matter of taste-which one to go for only other thing to consider is that some of the models come with an integrated stop LED lights and are a bit more expensive.

Reverse parking sensors:
many models are available - cost depends on the number of sensor units- Xenos and red sol are two good brands. 4 sensor units with IRVM mounted LED screen will cost about 2.5k-3k.
An example(from sstatee,com)

Xenos sensor comes color coded/repainting is not a good option.

Alloys and tires:

1) no cracking issues for alloys-very rare
2)rim sizes should be 14" diameter wheels 5.5J or 6J width(15" are an option but dont personally recommend)
3) brands - Palti/HR/Aura(Indian)-cost 15-20K for a set of 5 wheels--OZ/BBS(foreign brands)-cost 50-70K.
4) there is no need to change all 5--changing the 4 will be enough and you can save about 4K in the process.
5) tyre's - Michellin XM1+ - cost 3.5K per tyre size -185/70/14 ot Yokohamas A-drive - cost 3.3K or Goodyear assurance -3.9K. Size can be increased to 195 or even 205/60/14 but the ride quality will suffer.

Car security:
there is no need to upgrade-the icats enabled system is more than enough-though a auto close relay for the windows can be added and will cost about 1K.

Sun films:

Garware - 2.5K
3M - 3K(steels series)-personally recommend
V-kool - 7K

another 3-5K have to be spent for front windshield sun films-but recommended.

Audio system:

give more info(how loud/what type of music) and the max budget you can allocate-will be happy to help.

I am based in TVM-dont know about thrissur - guess cochin will be a better option. It all depends on the audio install.

Last Updated: 12-Sep, 2008 09:07 PM, by Binoy.Thomas

#3 13-Sep, 2008 02:17 AM
Ami
Ami
Legend

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the elaborate reply.

Please answer my further queries.

Spoiler:

The hatch hinged one you mentioned looks awesome.

I actually wanted to look at the rear spoiler for the roof. Sorry for the ambiguity.

Would this also affect FE.

Reverse parking sensor:

‘Xenos sensor comes color coded/repainting is not a good option.’

Could you elaborate more on this.

Alloys and Tires:

1. Difference between 5.5J and 6J. What do they denote?
  2. The tire size of 185/70/R14 would provide good riding comfort and won’t affect much of the FE right?
  3. How would the ride effect in a bad way if u increase the tire width. I had heard the opposite.

Car Security:

Would adding remote locking like autocop etc be an extravaganza??

Audio system:

I would like medium to high volume. But don’t like the kind of effect that a subwoofer provides. I prefer audio system which gives clarity. Kind of the effect which u get in Bose when compared to other audio speakers. The audio should be able to go into high volumes(although seldom used) without giving noice or distortion. The polk speaker has the ability.  

Budget can go upto 25k. Option 1 that I have mentioned costs 16k. Not sure about the price in kerala. But I don’t know the model numbers. Shall I proceed with this or is an amplifier needed for this setup.

Rear Defogger:

Is it adivisible. If yes, how much would it cost and also suggest some brands.

Do you have any other addition to be done or an alternate suggestion to it.

#4 13-Sep, 2008 02:34 AM
Ami
Ami
Legend

Headlight/Brake Light modification:

Please provide me with suggestions for them.

How do you get the white light.

How much do they cost normally.

Exhaust Tip:

What all does an exhaust tip do apart from sound and looks. Does it affect the FE.

Last Updated: 13-Sep, 2008 02:43 AM, by Ami

#5 13-Sep, 2008 07:29 AM
Binoy
Roof  mounted spoilers like these will affect both FE and the car dyanamics-so be careful.

#6 13-Sep, 2008 07:35 AM
Binoy
Reverse sensors usually come in black- your car is white and black one will look odd. Xenos and other brands have sensors in white color.Repainting the black sensor the color of you car is not a good idea as it will lead to sensor malfunction.

Alloys/tyre

J means width of the tyre --in inches-so 5,5J is 5.5 inc wide tyre and so on.
The swift vsi comes in 165/80/14 mounted on 5J rims-the max width on 5J rims is 185 section tyre-so if you are going for alloys go for 5.5J or 6J width ones as you can mount wider tyres like 195 or 205 section on them.

Wider tyres means more grip but a wider tyre will demand lower aspect ratio thus decreasing the ride quality-more over the steering response will change with wider rubber and the chance of tramlining the wider rubber is more at higher speeds.

#7 13-Sep, 2008 10:01 AM
Binoy
Adding a remote locking is not a extravagance - can do.

Audio system:

Hu-pioneer 5090UB
front - polk or sound stream componets(personally like the pioneer kevlar and JBL's also as they are value for money)

rear - 6 x 9 ovals 3-ways of your choice

Adding a 4 channel amp(again JBL/pioneer stand out) will do justice to your system with a budget of 25K.

First find the installer-this is critical cause everything else depends on this- check the audio available at thrissur and give more details-do this before the the car arrives.

Rear defogger is an un-necessary expense(cost to value ration)

Head lights:

Xenon and HID kits with condensor lenses are available. A simple bulb upgrade will cost about 800rs while a full HID kit like this will cost 15k-20k

Rear LED light like this

#8 13-Sep, 2008 10:08 AM
Binoy
Exhaust tips are of two types - restrictive(gives more sound) and non restrictive types..

Restrictive type can do damage to the valves on the long run due to  reduced internal dia like these

Its better to go in for a non-restrictive type like this

#9 13-Sep, 2008 11:50 PM
Ami
Ami
Legend

Alloys:

I checked with a vendor. He had HR set of 5 for 19500. He said the stock tire would be fine and there is no need to change it. What would u suggest?

How much of FE would be affected when I put alloy wheels. ( I know it is not a specific question).

Audio:

The vendor suggested pioneer 5050(grey, price 8k) and said 5090 is costly around 13k unlike how u have quoted 9k. So what to do L . On the speaker front I am almost finalised on Polk db691 for rear (7.5K) and polk component system (8k). He also suggested that I got for Alpine HU (model 9884, price 13k), what you would suggest on this. Is it worth that difference? I am also not sure whether a remote comes with it.

Do I need to take some extra care while the wiring is done? Any special wired need to be used or shall I proceed with the wires most of the shops provide.

Most of the ppl said

Last Updated: 13-Sep, 2008 11:51 PM, by Ami

#10 14-Sep, 2008 07:02 AM
Binoy
The price quoted for the alloys are really good- but what size are they-putting the 165 section tyres on the alloys will be quite possible but will look like Usain Bolt wearing kinder garden shoes!(they will look odd-tyres are a bigger priority than even alloys IMHO).

Theoretically the ligher alloys are supposed to give better FE- FE mainly depends on the rolling resistance which is determined in part by the tyres-upsizing to 185 section will bring the FE down by 1kmpl.

About the audio -well prices will vary from place to place and the price of the 5090 here its in the 9K range grey.Follow this link the 6060 is listed at 13K so the 13K price for the 5090 seems inflated.

The alpine HU is a good one only draw back is the 2V preout voltages(5v is the norm for a HU at that price range).Also it does not come with a remote, both the pioneers does.

Polk audio prices are good-again depends on the model.

Regarding wiring(rather cables) - use connectors for all power connections as otherwise it will void warranty. There are a lot of cables for the interconnectors and speaker wires and the installer can take you for a ride. Have a look at this