Select Your City

for best experience

Duplicate RC Book

#1 09-Mar, 2008 12:04 AM
ABCD
New Arrival
Joined Date: 09 Mar 2008

Hello,

Recently i finalized a deal for a used car listed on Carwale. Its a Ford Ikon 1.6 Zxi Sept. 2002 model 47000 Kms driven, i made a deal for 2.60 Lacs. I used all parameters given on this site to buy a used car including check by a mechanic who rated it excellent to reach on final decision.

My question to Carwale (preferably Mr.Banwarilal) is that did i bought it at good price, i am very happy with car uptil now, this vehicle has Duplicate RC Book as owner had lost original one, RTO transfer is still pending for car.

I got doubt on my decision when today i drove car to reputed Used Car Dealer/Service Center (Auto 1) to get few small works done as told by mechanic who inspected car initially, Service guys said car was in great condition and hardly needs any tuning except some suspension alignment but just to double check i got car valuated by them and to my astonishment they said since this car has duplicate RC Book they can't buy it and if i really want to sell it off it will be max for Rs. 1 Lac.

Is this true that car in excellent condition without original RC Book has no value and will create problem for me in future re-sale?

0 members liked this post

#2 14-Mar, 2008 10:19 PM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

Duplicate RC Book is issued by RTO only when an FIR is lodged by the vehicle owner with the local Police Station to the effect that the original has been lost, and only after the requisite procedure is completed by the Police Deptt. & RTO.

Therefore, duplicate RC Book issued by RTO is as good / valid as original in all respect, whatsoever - it does not affect the ownership or the resale of the vehicle in any case.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#3 18-Mar, 2008 02:59 PM
Banwari Lal Sharma
Joined Date: 19 Jan 2006
Pankaj,

If we go by ethics, duplicate RC book should not affect resale value of a car but practically it might. Not in all cases though. Whenever you go to a dealer for selling your car, it will always try to quote a value as less as possible, however, what this dealer has quoted to you is a shock to me. Don't worry, whenever you want to sell it off, try an individual buyer.

Ford Ikon definitely isn't considered to be a great car as far as resale value is concerned. But 2.6 lakhs in Bangalore for a 2002 Ikon seems okay to me. Even if you had paid 15,000-20,000 more for an excellent condition car, it's worth I guess. Buying a car in bad shape at a cheaper price is not a wise decision.

View new CarWale logo: http://www.carwale.com/forums/35839-new-carwale-identity.html

Ask the Experts

1800 2090 230

(Toll free)