Wonderful site for till now mysterious queries.
Sharmaji kindly clarify the following:
1. I am presently in /govt. job at Surat Gujarat. If i purchase a new Maruti Wagon-R Vxi from here and want to transfer it to Delhi after 2-3 months (if i am transferred) then will i have to repay RTO tax at Delhi again or i can get refund / RTO to RTO transfer of the payment made here? Will I need Delhi Registration number or Gujarat Number will do if i have to stay at delhi for about 4-5 years. Can i ply my car with gujarat numbers in delhi and for how long. Is it possible to purchase car from Delhi with Delhi Registration numbers by giving address of Gujarat ? What is your advise ? Thanks
RTO Tax is not transferable. If you purchase a car from Surat/Gujarat and relocate at Delhi / outside Gujarat, you are supposed to get the car re-registered at Delhi by paying tax afresh. You can claim refund of the life time tax paid in Surat/Gujarat – it will be reimbursed on pro-rata basis. It is, however, a lengthy / time consuming process which should preferably be done through a good/reputed agent & a friend/relative to follow-up/expedite locally (Surat).
However, people in transferable job, relocating every 3/5 years, seldom get their cars re-registered / pay taxes afresh when relocated to other states. It is not an uncommon thing and, therefore, as I understand, generally there isn’t any problem as such. For instance, here in Gujarat (as you too may be aware), there are many cars that have registration of other states. In fact, to elaborate a little, here at my place of location (Bhavnagar/Gujarat), I know quite a few people/colleagues who have Haryana, Delhi, Karnataka etc. etc. registered cars. They have been plying their cars all over Gujarat (on transfers) for so many years & have not had any problem yet.
Regarding your last point…. you can purchase a car from any city/state but you have to get it registered at the place of your location – residential proof is required to be produced for the purpose. However, some people do manage to get it registered elsewhere by producing some local residential address/proof (Delhi in your case, while residing at Surat).
Dear Pankaj bhai,
Thanks for the prompt clarification. However, I still have some confusion after reading various posts related to similar queries
1. Though as you say we may NOT pay tax again at Delhi, however, I understand that it is mandatory to get it registered if you are going to stay for more than one year. What is the penalty if we are caught by authorities ?
2. Can the vehicle be registered with RTO Delhi on Gujarat vehicle number or Delhi RTO will give NEW Vehicle number ?
3. What about Octroi payment at Delhi. Since no octroi has been paid at Surat will I have to pay octroi at Delhi ?
4. Is there any entry tax if the vehicle is DRIVEN to Delhi ?
5. If I transport my car through TRUCK will I have to pay octroi or entry tax ?
Kindly clarify if possible
I have a general know-how, as under....
(1) I have said that we are required to get the car re-registered by paying tax afresh (and seek refund of life-tax paid at Gujarat). But in my 2nd para I have said that transferable people generally do not pay tax afresh, and that, there isn't any problem as such. Regarding penalty, as I understand, it is in % terms of the tax payable and it varies from state to state - I have heard that it ranges from 20% to 50% (of tax payable).
(2) On re-registration (in new state), the car registration number changes.
(3) If octroi is applicabe to Delhi, it will be payable - as applicable to old cars in % terms based on its valuation.
(4) Other than Toll tax (as & where applicable) no extra tax is payable if private cars are driven from one state to another, except Octorio (if applicable (point #3).
(5) Octroi is payable, if applicable, even if the car is transported through truck.
By the way, as I understand, Octroi (whereever applciable) is not applicable on some (?) house-hold kit on transfer - a certificate from the employer is required. However, if recovered, refund could be claimed.
Importantly, if you are getting transferred in a couple of months or so, like you have said earlier, I feel it would be prudent to postpone your purchase so as to avoid re-registration (as per rule) or, if you are not re-registering it (against rule), to avoid even the possibility of paying penality. Octrio, if applicable in Delhi, will in any case be payable by you - a little less, of course, if transported from Gujarat (2nd hand car / almost new).
After inquiring from some acquaintance at Delhi I am told that presently Delhi RTO has stopped registering vehicles already registered in other states.
Can any one confirm this ?
Can u please help me to know that if registration has been stopped in Delhi then how will I drive a car in Delhi legally.At present I am located at Bangalore and my car has Karnataka registration.Next month we are moving to Delhi.I really want to know the procedure to drive the car legally in Delhi.Do I need to pay road tax again.
Please help me to know each and every step to transfer my car to Delhi.I have come to know that registration will again cost around 40000 .I have Getz Prime which is only 5 months old.
Many people drive the vehicles in other states without getting it re-registered. You too can do that - get it registered when Delhi RTO starts registering cars from other states. In the meantime, I don't think they can levy any penality.
Yes, but if one re-locates, one has to get the vehicle re-registered by paying taxes afresh - life time tax paid in the earlier state can be sought for, for refund (pro-rata basis).