Select Your City

for best experience

Rear Shock Absorber

#1 19-Apr, 2012 05:58 PM
AK
Road-tested
Joined Date: 10 Jun 2009

Hi All,

I would like to replace, one rear right side shock absorber for my ford Ikon (P) 1.3, I came to know through my friend that, I have to replace both even though the rear left one is perfect, is it right?

can someone put more light on this issue?

The problem noticed is, oil is coming out of rear right shock absorber, also i would like to know if it can be repaired/ or best to replace.  So far my car is maintained nicely with Showroom parts and I enjoy its smooth driving, with 12kpl mileage (A/c on) in city and 15Kmpl highway

Thanks,

AAK

Hyderabad

0 members liked this post

#2 19-Apr, 2012 06:08 PM
Rohit
Joined Date: 10 Nov 2008

Well, since they are a pair, it is safe to assume that both have received almost the same amount of "beating". So if one is gone, chances are that the other one too might be on its way out. Therefore it is better to replace both.

However, it also depends on how old or how much the car is run. If its less than 10-15k, replacing just one might be okay. But if the car is old/run much more than that, replacing both would be a better idea.

Shockers can be repaired - but it is a lot less time-consuming to replace it, and a new one would be a lot more reliable too. Repairing would mean either the car cannot be used till the repaired one arrives or fitted with alternate shocker till the old one is restored - and then the whole exercise of again removing the temp and putting in the original one.

S = k.I^2, where S is the amount of stupidity a species possesses, I is the intelligence the species has and k is the universal constant of stupidity.
Last Updated: 19-Apr, 2012 06:12 PM, by rohit.b.d.

#3 19-Apr, 2012 07:27 PM
AK
Road-tested

Thanks,

The car has done 53K and the left shock absorber is perfectly fine, the mechanic says, he said it is my call to replace both or one. in that case i would go for repair if it is feasible, in reparing the shock absorber, It looks they replace the Oil and the Oil seal.

Can anyone suggest better mechanic in Hyd, I heard that ford Abdulla is best for ford vehicle in sec'bad can anyone provide me the address of this guy if anyone from hyd knows it.

As the ASS will never repair any iteam they always go for replace

Many thanks for your valuable suggestions on this.

Regards,

aak

Last Updated: 19-Apr, 2012 07:29 PM, by aakcse

#4 19-Apr, 2012 07:54 PM
Rohit
Joined Date: 10 Nov 2008

IMO go for replacement of both shockers, if budget is not an issue. Next best option would be replacing just the bad one with a new unit. Repairing would be the last option.

...and don't visit the ASC for this. Just buy parts from a local car parts shop and get the job done by a local mechanic. ASC will charge a lot more for both the replacement part and labour - not worth it at all.

S = k.I^2, where S is the amount of stupidity a species possesses, I is the intelligence the species has and k is the universal constant of stupidity.
Last Updated: 19-Apr, 2012 07:56 PM, by rohit.b.d.

#5 20-Apr, 2012 10:55 AM
AK
Road-tested

100% agreed with Rohit's Idea of replacing @ local m/c, I'll replace the troubled one.  In Hyd near Masab tank beside 555 hotel, there is a spare part shop which sell all car spares at fixed priced hence no worry for bargaining which I dont like.

I enquired about the Shocks@ this shop it is costing 1650INR for Gabriel with 6 month warranty. This make is good one as they are famous for all shocks ranging from 2-4 wheeler.

1650+200(Assuming) will be ideal. I hope replacing shocks will not force me to replace other connected parts.

Rohit I have another question regarding rim strengthening, I’ll start a new thread for this.

Thanks All.

Regards,

aak

Ask the Experts

1800 2090 230

(Toll free)