for best experience

Fiat Grande Punto Modifcations

Pages : 12345
#1 07-Mar, 2012 04:19 PM
Nithrath
Road-tested
Joined Date: 14 Feb 2012

Friends,

I will getting my first car, a Fiat Grande Punto Emotion MJD 2012 in Bosa nova white by the next week.

By default the car has good stock alloys, music system with 4 speakers, Aux & USB etc. I plan for some modifications to the car. Like addition of speakers/tweeter, art seat covers, arm rest. I'm aware of just these things. Any other modifications do experts suggest for making this best hatchback more luxurious/classy.

I'm from Hyderabad. Any contacts or reference to workshops/accessories shops will be appreciated. I plan to keep this car for long term. So, i intend to maintain it very very preciously at any cost.

Please pour in your thoughts in any aspect regarding Fiat Punto.

0 members liked this post

#2 07-Mar, 2012 05:04 PM
M Bajaj
Legend
Joined Date: 09 Oct 2009

Nithrath,

Welcome to CW & congrats for your new Punto. You Punto is pretty loaded & there are virtually nothing you can add except sunfilms, seat covers etc.

My advice is that dont go for the seat covers immediately, rather enjoy the original seats & may be after a year or so when you see them go dirty you can add good seat covers, which will then give your car a new look. Add a good exhaust & side skirts (if avilable) which will give a more sporty look to the car.

You can also change the head lamps to LED ones which really look nice, again this acn be done after a year which will again change the look of your car.

Pls do posts ome pics when you get your hand on it

Good Luck 

#3 07-Mar, 2012 06:05 PM
Nithrath
Road-tested

ManishBajaj,

Thanx for the reply.

I dont want to spoil the seat covers and then puton some clothes to it. So, i plan to change the seat cover upfront. But a novice question, Seat cover change means, the existing seat covers will be ripped of and then put on new seat covers or the existing will be there and the new seat covers will be put on.

Regarding LED's, what would be the advantage and what would be price?

Regarding exhaust, what is this?

Please bear with me. This is my first car and am pretty new to these terms and advantages.

#4 07-Mar, 2012 06:54 PM
Chinmaya
Best-seller
Joined Date: 03 Feb 2012

dear Nithrath,

the seat cover is the additional dress over the seat and u dont rip the seat fabric before putting the cover.

there are stylish mufler tip (silencer pipe tip) that one puts on the silencer pipe end.

the people making seat and seat covers will know how to put arm rest. but i dont feel the need for it as we keep both hands on the wheels while driving.

side skirts may look nice but ll reduce the GC. add this if u like once u are comfortable with driving ur car. also sinse these are plastic parts they may break of they scrape the ground.

alternately u can add rough road patch which could give a similar feel to a side skirt.

also dont change ur music system. use it for few days then experiment by add/ delete various components like amplifiers, woofer, subs etc.

Last Updated: 07-Mar, 2012 07:11 PM, by chinmaya.bhat

#5 07-Mar, 2012 08:17 PM
Sankalp
Joined Date: 28 Mar 2009

Posted by manishbajaj

Add a good exhaust & side skirts (if avilable) which will give a more sporty look to the car.

You can also change the head lamps to LED ones which really look nice, again this acn be done after a year which will again change the look of your car.

Currently, there is no proper brand that sells LED lamps for the headlights. The technology is still under initial implementation in some cars and AFAIK it is not available in our retail market. Probably you meant HIDs.

Even the exhaust. A good exhaust means replacing the entire exhaust components. Its just the muffler or the tailpipe garnish that you can add easily. 

It is advised you opt for seat covers. But if you want the perfect finish, its always better that you strip the existing upholstery and stitch the new ones. If you are ready for this, you could prolong this as manish has stated. If you wish to retain the original upholstery, then you could get covers. But, I doubt it will fit well onto the seat contours(just that I dont find it does)

Not to forget, congrats on your new car, and make sure you do not cut any wires at least during the warranty period. 

Return of petrol power!!

#6 08-Mar, 2012 12:50 PM
Nithrath
Road-tested

Thank you very much friends for the suggestions.

@Chinmaya.bhat,

Thanx for the info. Very informative for novice like me.

As you say, arm rest are least useful for city driving. But very useful highways usage, most of the time i would be on.

I know abt side skirts but i'm not interested in them. But what is the "alternately u can add rough road patch which could give a similar feel to a side skirt"...I didn't get you plz?

I dont intend to change the music HU, as i know that it would disturb the Blue & Me feature that comes with Emotion variant in punto. As time passes by, for music quality improvement, i would like to add the components you suggest which i already have in mind.

@sanshrinand,

I have no intention to ripoff the actual upholstery of the seats. I just want to put on some clothes. I will ask the workshop to do it in my presence so that, i can make sure that the fit&finish is perfect. Probably i would ask them to add some padding to give the closest factory fit & finish.

Btw, what would be the muffler or tailpipe garnish costs? Any idea?

Friends,

Any references or contacts in Hyderabad for quality work or discounts?

#7 09-Mar, 2012 07:12 AM
Chinmaya
Best-seller

dear Nithart,

actually i was thinking the side cladding made of plastic or rubber put on the doors bottom is the rough road patch which is not the same.

i meant giving the plastics similar on the lower half ofscorpios doors. I have seen many cars being put with similar things thus i assumed it. sorry for misinterpretation.

the mufler tips could cost u a few hundreds to a few thousands. this depends on whether they help in altering the exhaust sound or not. the ones for sound cost higher.

#8 09-Mar, 2012 12:22 PM
Nithrath
Road-tested

Thank you verymuch Chinmaya.bhat.

That information is very informative. I would think on it. And btw, if i use some after market seat covers, which one do u suggest between a soft cloth(like velvet look & feel) Vs pure leather? And why do u suggest the particular type?

Friends,

Any other ideas on the improvements?

#9 09-Mar, 2012 12:44 PM
Chinmaya
Best-seller

dear nith,

the cloth covers ll not protect ur seat against spillage of any liquid on the seat. thus go for vinyl or art leather seat covers.

u can get them readymade if u tell for which car. u can also get it stitched from a seat maker.

the seat maker ll have different designs and would stitch it to snugly fit to ur seat. so this is best option. also they put vinyl rubber sheet for the entire floor of ur car . this ll help in cleaning the floor easily. even if u remove the mats given in the car for cleaning, the dirt ll not go to the fabric mat on the floor which cannot be removed for cleaning.

regards

#10 09-Mar, 2012 01:49 PM
Nithrath
Road-tested

Dear Chinmaya,

Yep, vinyl or art leather seat covers are gud from usability view. But are they not prone to heat absorbing in summers temperature. Cleaning and maintainece just a wet cloth swipe is enough i think.

And for ready made seat makers, which brand do you suggest? Any preferences should i specify before going ahead to install seat covers?

And this vinyl rubber sheet sits over the floor mats or below the floor mats.

Probably i sound stupid asking everything in detail.

Pages : 12345

Ask the Experts

1800 2090 230

(Toll free)