Can't anyone be friends on this Forum ?

Pages : 123
#1 21-Feb, 2012 12:44 PM
Abhi Shreshtha
New Arrival
Joined Date: 16 Feb 2012

Hey Mods,

Quite impressed by suggestions and knowledge of everyone present over here..

But is'nt this Forum having Making FRIEND option ? cant anyone make friends over here ? 

If i am missing something then please prompt. but if i am not than this can be a Better Suggestion.  

Chase me I'm, Mi-das :D
0 members liked this post

#2 21-Feb, 2012 02:44 PM
Sankalp
Joined Date: 28 Mar 2009

A forum is a place where we can discuss matters in a thread like form and that is public. All are friends here and you need not 'add' them like you do on social networking sites. If you have anything personal, you can use the Personal Messaging facility which will be enabled once you cross 100 posts. Untill then, the forum is kind enough to share knowledge and give you an open, kind environment to let you clarify doubts and also share your experiences. 

I hope this resolves your query.

Regards

Every time we think of enjoying smooth, silent and killer petrol engines, they call a rise in petrol prices!

#3 21-Feb, 2012 03:24 PM
Abhi Shreshtha
New Arrival

Agreed !

But as having worked with one of the Prime Forum in Education industry as a Super Moderator and Subject Expert, I even understands the importance of "Add Friend" option.

(Its just a personal view ) I would like to add that just Social Network are not helping people to be friends even many highly professionalised and more business oriented websites prefers people to be friends you can take LinkedIn as big example. 

Where this option also creates feeling of more than  to a user. When we add a friend option  then one assumes that this uses is more agreeable  to solve my problem by not just considering it as Just a "USER'S" problem but as one of his "FRIEND'S"  problem.

As PM'ing someone who is friend creates all together different impact then PM'ing someone who is unkown to you. 

There are many many more advantage which it can add. 

But still this Forum Rocks. !  

Last Updated: 21-Feb, 2012 05:48 PM, by SolitaireKing

#4 07-Mar, 2012 10:27 AM
Vinod
Road-tested
Joined Date: 23 Nov 2011

Friends option or not but i do feel that this is a good forum and views exchanged.We could have different view points and that needs to be respected.I agree a bit with sanshrinand that we could use the message option...

Drive safely!!!

#5 09-Mar, 2012 10:24 AM
Himanshu
Best-seller
Joined Date: 09 Apr 2007

The best part is that all of us agree that it is a great forum out here.

However, I still do not understand the logic behind NOT having an "add freind" option. True: we are all freinds out here and we dsicuss and debate every topic in a very healthy spirit. But still a person may find some one more useful/freindlier than others (they own same cars, live in same city, have similar views or backgrounds etc.) I feel we should encourage people to get more freindlier than what they already are.

Also, why give the option of PMing only after 100 posts? If there is a new user, he/she should have the option of interacting with another user in private. Some people may feel any forum is not right for anything they want to ask. Or they may not wish to share their views in public. Why make them wait till they have posted a 100 messages? To me it does not make any sense.

Last Updated: 09-Mar, 2012 10:25 AM, by Himanshu.Singh

#6 09-Mar, 2012 10:53 AM
Abhi Shreshtha
New Arrival

Posted by Himanshu.Singh

The best part is that all of us agree that it is a great forum out here.

However, I still do not understand the logic behind NOT having an "add freind" option. True: we are all freinds out here and we dsicuss and debate every topic in a very healthy spirit. But still a person may find some one more useful/freindlier than others (they own same cars, live in same city, have similar views or backgrounds etc.) I feel we should encourage people to get more freindlier than what they already are.

Also, why give the option of PMing only after 100 posts? If there is a new user, he/she should have the option of interacting with another user in private. Some people may feel any forum is not right for anything they want to ask. Or they may not wish to share their views in public. Why make them wait till they have posted a 100 messages? To me it does not make any sense.

Thats right Himanshu, I am glad that atleast some are there to agree with my point..  

#7 09-Mar, 2012 11:16 AM
Chinmaya
Best-seller
Joined Date: 03 Feb 2012

dear Abhi,

the problem that u want to express is keeping track of people and their suggestions that helped u the most.

also interact more with people in a city like a local forum.

this is what i felt on reading the above comments posted.

well this can be pretty much easily solved if a tool to add flags and mark the post and rate it would do.

also rate the users and categorise into most favoured group. some thing like "My Gang". but this should be visible only to u.

further newer people can be added to ur gang by u.

But i also suggest is to limit the no ofPM'sing allowed per user to keep them active on the threads.

so may be with further fine tuning, "My Gang" could be implemented.

regards.

#8 09-Mar, 2012 12:37 PM
Nithrath
Road-tested
Joined Date: 14 Feb 2012

Dear Abhi, Nice thought and i have this in my mind too.

I'm new to this forum too. I joined this forum to get along with like minded people, interact with them, learn from them, share view points, give back what you know to the forum. All this is already implemented and available on this forum.

"Add Friend" option suggested by Abhi makes sense. But "My Gang" option..huh doesn't sound good in an interactive forum like this. This looks something similar to Circle option in Google+. But, yah certainly "Add Friend" option would be useful. To not to mess up with the spirit of the forum, once a User A add User B using "Add Friend" option, then User B should be given the provision either to Accept or Reject the request of User A. Caution should be excercised so that, this one feauture shouldn't distrub the harmony of the forum.

--Regards

#9 09-Mar, 2012 12:58 PM
Chinmaya
Best-seller
Joined Date: 03 Feb 2012

dear nith, 

u mis took me, i said "My Gang" is just for me to categorize my priorities. i would like it to be secret only to me and not visible to other users. thus i ll know with whom i have interacted more, what are the topics, how many times etc over a period of time.

I dont support the Accept/ Reject buttons as we are all friends by default due to our participation in the forum.

for other things, the PMsing is always there.

#10 09-Mar, 2012 01:24 PM
Nithrath
Road-tested
Joined Date: 14 Feb 2012

Dear chinmaya,

Oh ok! Yep, the name "My Gang" sounds like a public categorization. But the concept you suggest is well taken.

And reg. Accept/ Reject buttons, i still insist on it. I may not be interested to have a private relationship with some ppl with whom i dont think i can get along well. In that case, a public relationship will be enough for me. But, what if the person has selected me to be his friend but i'm not interested. I say this because, Friendship is a mutual understanding and can be well maintained only if both the individuals feel so.

But if you say, "Add Friend" is also for just a private categorization which will showup only to you, then yeah Accept/ Reject buttons are not necessary.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Pages : 123