most durable car in India

Pages : 1234
#1 07-Feb, 2012 05:21 PM
Santhanam
Beloved
Joined Date: 23 May 2008

friends,

can you suggest some of the most durable cars/make & model including fuel type here.  We are discussing as if the car is kept in best condition, service is regularly done with no compromise. Suppose all these cars are kept very well which will last the most which engine will still be best and which fuel type would be the best.  Consider the most reliable brands like Toyota, Honda, Maruti Suzuki, Nissan, Hyundai, Tata etc. and pl give your opinions/actual experiences. Consider the situation that the car was heavily used (around 1800-2000 kilo meter per month/20,000 km per year which means in 5 years 1 lakh kilo meter and 10 years 2 lakh kilo meter and it was running in rough terrains of subruban areas, city as well as highway and occassional outstation trips. 

Queries:

engine longetivity, car body creating sounds, issues while driving etc. may be considered.  Also if it requires constant servicing say on monthly basis they you can say that the car is creating problems. 

consider the following fuels, petrol, diesel, CNG 

if possible consider the following specific makes and models

Hyundai Accent CNG, Maruti Suzki Swift diesel, SX4 CNG, Honda City petrol, Toyota Corolla Altis CNG

Are the cars like SX4 last only for 5 to 7 years or will it last longer.

do the celebrated Honda City also develops several problems after say 10 years. (i know a friend who was using his uncle's 10 year old Honda City and who complained that it developed  problems everyday and had to sell it to buy a new i20 diesel--it was a big surprise for me as i was under the impression that Honda City will last as long as one keeps it well)

Someone says Toyotas will last longest.  is't true, how's the Corolla in CNG.

0 members liked this post

#2 07-Feb, 2012 05:41 PM
Ashish Naik
Legend
Joined Date: 04 Mar 2009

All modern cars are supposed to last 5 lacs kms whether petrol or diesel . In Europe & USA , it is very common with car odo showing 5 lacs or more . It depends lot on how one maintain car . Regualr follow up according to  manual helps car to deliever its maximum . 

One personal example - My friend Innova crossed 3 lacs kms with just regular services . It has not created even a single problem during last 5 years . Engine parts have  yet not been touched .

Yes cars from Tata , Maruti & Hyundai are prone to more problems ( might be minor or major ) compare to more established other players internationally .

#3 07-Feb, 2012 05:46 PM
Santhanam
Beloved

Thanks for that quick reply Ashish,

i've still the following doubt,

you're giving the example of cars lasting for 5 lac k.m. in Europe and US, is it comparable to Indian road conditions, where you cannot avoid gutters and bad roads, traffic congestions etc.

Last Updated: 07-Feb, 2012 05:47 PM, by santhanam99

#4 07-Feb, 2012 05:47 PM
Sankalp
Joined Date: 28 Mar 2009

Personal experience: Swift diesel - 1.1lakh km from launch time till a few months back. No major maintenance, no performance issues. Wagonr lpg. Ran for 1.25l kms before sold. Currently running at 1.6l without major issues. The lpg kit had some issues with it sometime which was sorted.

Every time we think of enjoying smooth, silent and killer petrol engines, they call a rise in petrol prices!

#5 07-Feb, 2012 05:59 PM
Santhanam
Beloved

anyone who used a car for around 10 years or more here?

#6 10-Feb, 2012 03:25 PM
Ashish
Road-tested
Joined Date: 13 Oct 2011

considering cars around which are older than 5 years, i can hardly find any diesel vehicle. my boss's maruti esteem has given him great service. he has purchased it second hand and ran it for more than 6 yrs before selling it for 80k.

it has got some issues but that is normal for a car completing 10 years. good car with smooth driving and comfortable sitting. well no point in comparing it with morden day beauties.

my father's estilo is about to complete 5 yrs but i can't count it at has hardly completed 20k kms. it goes out once in a week for 20 odd kms. sometimes i feel it only goes out so that battery remain charged!!

father in law's old 800 is ofcourse 10+ yrs old but has given problems once in a while. i drove it and found very resonsive, but again no match to today's i20 jazz and swift.

#7 11-Feb, 2012 02:34 PM
Zanto
Driven
Joined Date: 10 Dec 2011

my hyundai santro is more than 10 years old. currently it is with my sister so i cannot tell you the odo reading. i would hazard a guess that it is around 1 lakh km.

engine/transmission is still good as new. pickup. power steering are very good.

we have no intention of selling this car as it was the first car that i bought and gifted to my sister. so it has it's sentimental value.

i have a 4 year old alto done around 65k km on the odo. i've changed the clutch a few months back. other wise no problems for the engine and tranmission. although driving in bangalore has taken it's toll on the suspension. i'm planning on overhauling the suspension and then transferring the car to my native place where the roads are better. i'll be buying a new car in bangalore once i can save up a little bit.

i can never ever imagine how the citizens of bangalore tolerate the conditions of roads given that we pay the highest rates of road tax in the country. i would also never ever buy a used car in bangalore having experienced the punishment that driving in bangalore subjects the car to.

#8 22-Feb, 2012 05:29 PM
Ashish
Road-tested
Joined Date: 13 Oct 2011

i think to keep this discussion alive, we need to reduce the critera to 3-4 years and 10k kms!!

#9 22-Feb, 2012 06:27 PM
Sankalp
Joined Date: 28 Mar 2009

10k? I think 100k kms or one lakh kms! Yes you are right. That is kind of the usual usage by 'one' owner, after which the car is sold unless in some cases where attachment towards the car is high and the car is virtually not sold!

Every time we think of enjoying smooth, silent and killer petrol engines, they call a rise in petrol prices!

#10 22-Feb, 2012 08:32 PM
Santhanam
Beloved

thanks all of you to keep this discussion alive, it's good to discuss about cars driven around 1lac km and upto 5 year old, we'll discuss it anyway but todays vehicles easily cross 1 lakh kilo meters if well maintained isn't it?

may i add one more set of vehicles, those who have completed 10 years (whatever be the kilo meters driven).  i've seen plenty of Premier Padminis running (as taxis) absolutely smooth over Mumbai roads, great delight in seeing them, they must be at least a decade old, why don't todays vehicles last so long. are they made differently, or only that the owners want to change, or is it that since companies also keep on changing their existing models/bringing the upgraded versions of existing models after every 5 to 7 years, people start changing very often,

which cars are rock solid cars that run smoothly after 10 years in the modern day automobile world.    

Pages : 1234