MARUTI SWIFT DIESEL NO MORE USES ENGINES FROM FIAT????!!!! IS IT TRUE???!!

#1 22-Sep, 2010 11:11 PM
Dr. Jose Antony
Long-termer
Joined Date: 27 Sep 2008

Friends I think I have a serious issue here. I dont know whoo is mistaken here. I was under the strong belief that Maruti Swift DIESEL uses the same engine as that of Punto and Palio. This is the impression that the sales executives also give.. But there are strong rumors that swift is being sold now not with fiat engines but with maruti engines. i NEVER BELIEVED THE SAME BUT RECENTLY MY FRIEND WORKING IN FIAT pune, said that fiat is not supplying any engines to maruti. Isnt this a new news or is this known to all.. anyway I was shocked to hear this.. What is the truth.. anybody who knows anything in this regard???

DJ

Yup.. its my dad's road for sure...
0 members liked this post

#2 23-Sep, 2010 09:53 AM
Mohit Gupta
New Arrival
Joined Date: 22 Sep 2010

yes its true...

maruti has done some tweaking in the engine for performance optimization....

#3 23-Sep, 2010 04:18 PM
Dr. Jose Antony
Long-termer
Joined Date: 27 Sep 2008

Ah Mohit I think things are bit different from doing some tweaks.. please read the post once more.. FIAT IS NOT SUPPLYING ANY ENGINE TO MARUTI..

Anyone got any idea about this...

DJ

Yup.. its my dad's road for sure...

#4 23-Sep, 2010 04:27 PM
Rohit
Joined Date: 10 Nov 2008

Might be the case...what difference does it make anyways? If maruti uses its own engine - it is going to be suzuki designed but manufactured in India (as is being done for the K10 engine). Why should that be any worse than Fiat's engine?

S = k.I^2, where S is the amount of stupidity a species possesses, I is the intelligence the species has and k is the universal constant of stupidity.

#5 23-Sep, 2010 07:27 PM
Raja
Long-termer
Joined Date: 11 Jun 2010

Suzuki has never made it's own diesel engine so far. Remember the old Zen, Esteem diesel models? Those diesel engines were sourced from Nissan or Isuzu (please clarify).

Maruti still using Fiat's multijet engine with minor tweaks. As VW holds some stake in Suzuki, expect VW's diesel engines in Maruti soon..

#6 23-Sep, 2010 07:33 PM
Ravi
Long-termer
Joined Date: 10 May 2009

Fiat is not supplying the MJD engine to Maruti-Suzuki, but Suzuki is producing the engine itself, under Fiat license and pay royalty for each engine. This is happening from start.

Maruti/Suzuki couldn't make any successful small diesel engine, so they are using Fiat's engine.

#7 23-Sep, 2010 09:30 PM
Kamath
Best-seller
Joined Date: 30 Jul 2010

Right said Ravi.

Only the technology was provided by FIAT. Maruti was producing those engines on their own, but paying FIAT for the engines. Maruti does NOT have its own diesel engine indigenously designed by themselves. 

FIAT stands to lose a lot of they dont sell engine to Maruti as Maruti is one of the largest selling brand in India. I dont think they will take such a kneejerk reaction.

Others drive to live. I Live-2-Drive!

#8 23-Sep, 2010 10:01 PM
Ravi
Long-termer
Joined Date: 10 May 2009

Posted by live2drive

Only the technology was provided by FIAT. 

You are saying only, basic thing to manufacture/produce any machine is design and technology.

Posted by live2drive
FIAT stands to lose a lot of they dont sell engine to Maruti as Maruti is one of the largest selling brand in India. I dont think they will take such a kneejerk reaction.

There is another way to look, since Maruti doesn't have any small diesel, their most selling cars, might not have buyers. All diesel lovers might move to Fiat.

#9 24-Sep, 2010 12:00 AM
Kamath
Best-seller
Joined Date: 30 Jul 2010

Ravi,

My replies inline in bold.

Posted by ravis.mishra

You are saying only, basic thing to manufacture/produce any machine is design and technology.

I saying that the license to build those diesels is provided to Maruti by FIAT. 

There is another way to look, since Maruti doesn't have any small diesel, their most selling cars, might not have buyers. All diesel lovers might move to Fiat.

Then why doesnt FIAT stop selling to Tata?

Others drive to live. I Live-2-Drive!