i20 Tips, Tricks and more..

#21 16-Aug, 2010 01:00 PM
Pradeep Vasudevan
Road-tested
Joined Date: 07 Jul 2010

My dealer (HYD -KUN UNITED) just confirmed that the gear shift indicator comes only on the diesel versions (and that too in the new models) and not in the petrol models.

But some of our members are saying they are seeing it in the petrol version too.

Can some one clear the confusion please ?

0 members liked this post

#22 16-Aug, 2010 03:44 PM
Sooraj
Beloved
Joined Date: 22 Apr 2010

It's a wrong info. I have a i20 petrol sportz version. The car has the manual trans-axle shift indicator. However, I'm not sure about any lower end models. Sandipan can confirm about this too.

#23 16-Aug, 2010 06:43 PM
Sandipan Manna
Beloved
Joined Date: 03 Aug 2009

sure Soori! the gear shift indicator is avilable across all the variants in i20 new models. u can also see that in the company brocure as a new feature.

its a really useful tool as the engine is very silent and one needs to keep in mind to upshift and downshift in a new car.

PraVas u can tell the your workshop to look into it.  if you want i can give you the hyundai head office number where you can ask the same.

#24 17-Aug, 2010 02:04 PM
Pradeep Vasudevan
Road-tested

Hello Sandipan,

Sure iam going to follow up with hyundai. I even the saw the brochure on the compnay website, where it shows that feature is available across.

Please share the HO number.

Thanks.

#25 18-Aug, 2010 09:24 AM
Sarath Sasidharan
Long-termer
Joined Date: 03 Nov 2009

I have i20 Magna(P), it is having this feature. its the gear number appears along with a down/up arrow in the left end of the ODO. It appears only if you drive in wrong gear(just to guide) ie, if you are in 3rd gear where the engine expects a 2nd gear the display shows "2" with a down arrow means to shift the gear to 2. In the same way, if you are driving in 3rd gear say above 40 kms.. the display shows 4 with up arrow. The display need not appear if you drive in correct gear always. Smile

#26 18-Aug, 2010 06:00 PM
Pradeep Vasudevan
Road-tested

Posted by sarathspeaksnow

I have i20 Magna(P), it is having this feature. its the gear number appears along with a down/up arrow in the left end of the ODO. It appears only if you drive in wrong gear(just to guide) ie, if you are in 3rd gear where the engine expects a 2nd gear the display shows "2" with a down arrow means to shift the gear to 2. In the same way, if you are driving in 3rd gear say above 40 kms.. the display shows 4 with up arrow. The display need not appear if you drive in correct gear always. Smile

hmmm...thats one more confirmation.

Sharath..I have wantedly accelerated on lower gears to check that too. But never saw anything on the ODO.

#27 18-Aug, 2010 09:26 PM
Sarath Sasidharan
Long-termer

PraVas, Pls contact the dealer and see wat dealer says. I guess this was not noticed by the dealer during their inspection.

#28 19-Aug, 2010 09:32 AM
Pradeep Vasudevan
Road-tested

Guys, Some news finally.

1. Let me apologise for the inconvenience caused to one and all with my issue

2. I found out yesterday night, finally, my gear shift indicator is working

Will post the details soon.

#29 19-Aug, 2010 09:59 AM
Pradeep Vasudevan
Road-tested

Posted by sarathspeaksnow

I have i20 Magna(P), it is having this feature. its the gear number appears along with a down/up arrow in the left end of the ODO. It appears only if you drive in wrong gear(just to guide) ie, if you are in 3rd gear where the engine expects a 2nd gear the display shows "2" with a down arrow means to shift the gear to 2. In the same way, if you are driving in 3rd gear say above 40 kms.. the display shows 4 with up arrow. The display need not appear if you drive in correct gear always.

I think sarath was rite. The non-display had more to do with my driving style than with the car. I wasnt revving enough in the lower gears to see the display. So yeterday i really revved hard on 1st gear and saw what i wasnt seeing. The ODO showed uparrow & gear 2 and then uparrow and gear 3.

Then i shifted upto gear 4 and slowed down very much to feel the knocking,and then saw the downarrow and gear3.

Anyways, thanks all of you for your feedbacka and responses, and we have proved again this forum knowledge is simply better than an experienced salesman's knowledge.

Reflects badly on hyundai's part on not updating their sales guys properly.

#30 19-Aug, 2010 05:02 PM
Sarath Sasidharan
Long-termer

This is a very nice feature, i20 Manual says this to guide us for a fuel efficient driving. By the way what is the mileage you are getting at the moment ?