Is it really necessary to upgrade tyre in Chevy Beat?

Pages : 1234
#1 22-May, 2010 08:01 PM
Hira
Road-tested
Joined Date: 09 May 2010

Hi all !

The specs of Beat tyre is - 155/70 R 14".  In many Expert Review of Beat, it has been said that Chevy Beat is under tyre.  What does it mean? Suppose, one drive the car at a speed between 50-70 kmps, is it necessary for him to upgrade the tyre?  Is there really any benefit with wider tyre?

In one hand the car manual says that - any modification of tyre may lead to undesirable result and it will also void the guarantee of vehicle and in other hand Experts say to upgrade the tyre immediately after purchase. Whom one should follow?

Your valuable opinion is appreciated.

0 members liked this post

#2 23-May, 2010 05:32 PM
Naveen
Driven
Joined Date: 20 Mar 2010

Many manufacturers use narrow tyres to reduce friction and increase mileage. While nothing happens for city driving, your car will start feeling a little wobbly at high speeds. Not that you will loose control or anything, your confidence on high speed driving (say 90-100kmph+) will be low.

To answer your question, if you use your car mostly in the city and take it out rarely at speeds > 100kmph, you need not worry and stick to your original tyres. But if you want to push it around and get all those horses to your wheels you will have to think about modifying the same.

I would suggest that you stick to your original for 1-2 years and see if they are adequate. If not happy or get bored.. upgrade for better (at the cost of 1-2 kmpl). 

#3 23-May, 2010 06:28 PM
Krishna
Joined Date: 10 Jan 2009

Excellent explanation, Naveen!

Hira, I would NOT go for an upgrade, as I am a very sedate driver, who does not go >100 kmph even on expressways (actually it is between 80-90 if I want to go really fast).

If you take sharp turns, then the body of the car would roll, because it is suspended on shock absorbers. The narrow tyres make it easier for the CG to shift dangerously to the edge of the vehicle footprint, so there is a chance of roll-over. Also the road grip depends on the area of contact, which improves with wider tyres - this affects braking, but only if you push the vehicle to it's limits.

The upgrades help those fast and furious, not tanga drivers like me.

#4 23-May, 2010 09:26 PM
Hira
Road-tested

Thanks, Naveen & Krishna,

So, finally it is not necessary for me to upgrade the tyre as I am also a conscious driver and usually dont't cross 70 kmph (there is no need also, if one is not travelling from Kashmir to Kanyakumari).

However, for the sake of curiosity, I would like to know - is wider tyre fit on the same rim? or rim is also to be changed accordingly?

Last Updated: 23-May, 2010 09:28 PM, by neelahira

#5 23-May, 2010 09:29 PM
Krishna

Depends on how fat you want the upgrade tyre to be. about 20 cm can be managed without an issue, unless the stock tyre is already at it's limit of girth allowable by the stock rim. After that one has to change the rims as well. The tyres generally are allowed some space in the wheel wells for the upgrades, but frequently there is rubbing with the sides, fender edge and so many attendant woes.

#6 24-May, 2010 07:37 AM
Hira
Road-tested

Thanks, Krishna for your valuable info.

One more thing, suppose I upgrade the tyre, will it lead to void the warranty, as the manual says? Or I have to take due permission from the dealer concerned?

#7 25-May, 2010 01:11 PM
Amit
Legend
Joined Date: 22 May 2009

If the manual say so then it would most probably. One can consult the dealer but the outcome may vary. Some dealers promote change of tyres. In my view, the warranty is provided by company and not by the dealer, so stick to the guidelines the company has given.

Smile : A curve that can set a lot of things straight.

#8 25-May, 2010 08:21 PM
Hira
Road-tested

Thanks Amit.

The conclusion of discussion is - I should consider the tyre upgradation only when it will be needed, means after 50000 kms or 5 years, whichever is earlier. No?  By the time, warranty period will also be over.

#9 25-May, 2010 08:49 PM
Krishna

Get to know the vehicle better. If the wheels feel really inadequate, you may decide to go in for an upgrade, the warranty be dammed. But I think it won't be necessary, if you drive around with an awareness that some people think the wheels are too skinny.

Last Updated: 25-May, 2010 08:50 PM, by Krishna

#10 26-May, 2010 12:20 PM
Surya
Long-termer
Joined Date: 26 May 2010

HI There,

No need to upgrade the tyres as it comes from company and it suits to the design. Again compromising with the FE is also not wise.

Drive... Drive...Drive...Driven...

Pages : 1234