Tubeless tyre puncture repair

#1 12-Apr, 2010 03:44 PM
Sugga
New Arrival
Joined Date: 15 Oct 2009

I have a I10 sportz. On this saturday i found that my rear right hand side tyres pressure was quite low. I went to the petrol pump where they check the air pressure. To my surprise there was a big nail inserted on the side of the tyre. The guy over there said that he can repair as it is a tubless tyre. He simply extracted the nail from the tyre and inserted a 1 mm foam like gel solution with the help of a screwdriver which look like a crotia and told me not to use this tyre for an hour or two and put the extra tyre in plaxce of that tyre. He further told me that he does not have the solution to further strengthen the filler. so he told me to come next day. On next day i went to the pump and there was another guy who told me that the chemical was nothing but elfy. he purchased elfy for rs. 5 and applied it around that chemical area and put the tyre back in place of the stupney i used the day before. Now iam bit confused whether it was a proper repair or i have to change the tyre. I am a bit confused . PLEASE URGENTLY HELP ME. MR. PRASAD I AM EXOECTING A RELPLY FROM UR SIDE TOO>

0 members liked this post

#2 12-Apr, 2010 04:20 PM
Krishna
Joined Date: 10 Jan 2009

I don't like to link to other forums, but credit is due where it is. I have seen this beautiful pictorial how-to for repairing tubeless tyre punctures on Team BHP, and there is no point in re-inventing the wheel.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/46353-diy-guide-how-repair-tubeless-tyre-puncture.html

#3 13-Apr, 2010 10:55 AM
Sugga
New Arrival

Dear krishnaji that was the best way to let people know as to how the tubeless tyres got repaired after puncture. Simply awsome. In my case the same method was follwed except the guy also applied elfy and the solution strip was a little short.

Please let me know one more thing. Will this type of repair last long.

also please suggest me that my car is parked in open parking and usually the tyre pressure in all the tyre drop to 5-7 points is it beacuse of the heat produced from sunlight

and whether i have to check wheel balancing after puncture or let me know the frequency of wheel balncing as some time i feel that the car moves a little wayward.(may be because of road or tyre pressure my guess!). PLEASe guide me as it will be of great help.

Also let me know the puncture in the side wall makes the tyre unusable or what?

Last Updated: 13-Apr, 2010 10:58 AM, by sugga

#4 13-Apr, 2010 01:17 PM
Krishna
Joined Date: 10 Jan 2009

Suggaji, Please drop the 'ji' and revert to 'Krishna', otherwise I will feel too important to answer you. Wink

The puncture thus patched lasts long. I am running two tyres with one patch each at 50 PSI for the last year, and I see almost no pressure loss.

If you are seeing a pressure loss of 5-7 PSI, there is an issue with the tyre (a slow leaking puncture still not detected). Get it checked.

Wheel balancing rotation and alignment should be done at 6 month interval, or better still each quarter. It takes about 300/- here in Noida for all of this to be done at a tyre shoppe.

Puncture in sidewall is generally not considered safe. This is because the sidewall flexes with each turn of the wheel, and there is a possibility that the patch may fail. If this happens in the middle a trip, and the car is moving fast, you may have a roll-over or some other catastrophic accident.

However, if the puncture is patchable (the puncturewalla has the last word), patch it, keep the tyre as a spare, and exclude it from the rotation schedule. I would just curse my luck and replace the tyre.

#5 13-Apr, 2010 01:53 PM
Sugga
New Arrival

Thanks Krishna. Ur prompt reply is of great help. Keep the good work of knowledge sharing going.

Bye

TC.