Select Your City

for best experience

Stock speaker sizes for Indian cars and upgrade recommendations.

#51 13-Oct, 2010 01:02 AM
Karan Bhatia
Long-termer
Joined Date: 08 Jul 2010

Since your amp will be a 2ch amp and won't be too powerful or used to run a subwoofer, I suggest you save money on the power kit for now. Get 4 gauge power cable from Havells or polycab or Finolex or L&T etc. These power cables though used for domestic use are no different from the cheap power kits that are commonly available like Boss or Caliber etc. These in fact have higher copper content and are oxygen free than the cheap power kits and are more than enough for a single amp setup that too with a moderately powered amp. You can get a fuse holder and a fuse for about Rs. 100. The professional and branded power kits like Scosche, Kicker, Stinger, Audison however are very high grade and tailor made for powerful and multi amp setups. I too am using Finolex 4 gauge power cable for both ground and power in my i10's single amp setup with a fuse holder and 50 ampere fuse. No problems at all.

Such a cost saving is though not at all recommended for a multi-amp or powerful amp install.

A seat belt or a helmet can give you the chance of seeing your family again. DRIVE SAFE !!
0 members liked this post

#52 13-Oct, 2010 10:46 PM
Rubal
Long-termer
Joined Date: 20 May 2008

Hi Karan,

Today i went to a different shop just to explore the variation in pricing. After the discussion with the dealer- Punjab Auto Line located at sec- 28 in chd, he recommended some modfications in the setup. He recommended Infinity speakers for the rear saying that they produce better effect as compared to JBL 948 series plus 948 series have got some problem with the functioning of the in built tweeters. He also advised me to go for a 4 channel amp rather than a 2 channel one & he recommended Alpine 4- channel as it was fitting my budget. I will mention the prices he quoted & would want a favour from you if you could check the pricing their at amritsar for the same setup.

I also went to another dealer & their incidentally i got to see the speakers- JBL ones. They were plain coaxial speakers for the front. However, their was a sticker pasted specifying "MADE IN CHINA".I do not think that JBL's are made in china. So does it mean they were duplicate ones. Or to put it straight how can we differentiate between originals & duplicates? Their was a second hand sony woofer also available with box for mere 700 bucks which my friend got fitted in his swift & was sounding good till the time i was in his car. Since the dealer knew him so he got it fitted for trial only for the next 4-5 days. Though the woofer looks old but the output was decent enough. I got inclined towards it since the price is not too high. What do u say?

Details of prices as quoted:

Pioneer 5250 HU: 6950/-

Front JBL608: 4300/-

Rear Infinity: 4700/- or JBL 948: 3700/-

Alpine 4- channel amp: 3000/- (Dealer claims duplicate one comes around 2600/- not too sure)

Wiring kit: 750/-

Tray: 300/- (Dealer says company fitted tray in i10 willnot support the weight of rear speakers)

Installation: 250/-

Socket: 150/-

& 300/- for something which i do not remember: Miscellaneous

Woofer (Sony Explode second hand with box): 700/- in case if you give me the green signal for the same

Total: 20,400/-

#53 13-Oct, 2010 11:36 PM
Karan Bhatia
Long-termer

Rubal all the prices seem ok but the Alpine amplifier is surely and most definitely fake. It is also marketed as Sound Barrier. There is no 4 ch amp below 5k which was the price of the Kenwood 8401 in grey market. Stay away from that 'Alpine' amp. Even Sony 4 ch amps are much better.

I would say stick to the 2ch amp plan as it is more than sufficient for now. JBL GT5 4 channel amp will cost you about 7000-8000 while kenwood will be lesser. As for the Sony woofer, it makes sense only if you are going to run it from an amplifier. Running it from the jbl 2 ch amp will give you good output but then you will be loosing out on the true potential of the JBL components. You can buy the woofer and use it later with the 2 ch amp when you get a 4 channel amp if you find it a good deal and suiting your ears.

My JBL coaxials are also made in china. Don't worry. As long as you get a warranty card you can be assured they are real. Infinity speakers are made in Israel though and are slightly better than JBL but you find the difference noticable if you run both off the head unit. JBL GTO948 is a very good speaker and more than adequate to run from the head unit. There is no problem at all with the built in tweeter. If that were the case then they would not be present in the market as JBL is a very reputed brand.

I must say I have not come across any current model of Infinity 6x9 coaxials that cost less than 6000 so please ensure they are real by checking the warranty card and hologram on the box. You can check www.indiajbl.com and crosscheck the models and get an idea of the market price by looking the MRP given on the website. Your dealer seems to be either selling you fake or old model infinity speakers. 

Once again stay away from the 4k alpine amp. It is surely a fake.

A seat belt or a helmet can give you the chance of seeing your family again. DRIVE SAFE !!

#54 14-Oct, 2010 08:47 PM
Rubal
Long-termer

Hi Karan,

The prices which i mentioned are without bill prices. Will try to get the B&W prices from the dealer tommorow. Seems my budget is bound to cross 20k. I know i will not be adding anything in the future so would prefer to get the things installed once for all

#55 14-Oct, 2010 09:11 PM
Karan Bhatia
Long-termer

Then I would suggest the following. If you are satisfied with the sony woofer that you were getting for 700 then keeping that in mind this is what I would go for :

JBL GTO608C : 4300

JBL GT5-S644-4ch amp : 8000(max price in my opinion so please confirm)

Sony Xplod woofer : 700

Pioneer 5250 : 7000

RCA Cables : 500

Wiring kit : Go for the standard home use power cables with sparate fuse holder and fuse that I recommended above.

Run the components and the subwoofer from the 4 channel amp. Front for the components and rear bridged for the woofer. After this equipment and installation if you can go for rear speakers then get not really high end speakers and use them with the head unit only. This setup will make you system more than sufficient and should cost you not more than 25k I guess. As for one time expenditure well then brother be ready to feel the need to upgrade in the future. It is something that comes the instant you go for a good system.

#56 14-Oct, 2010 10:00 PM
Rubal
Long-termer

Karan any recommendation from the Kenwood family for the amp. Came to know their is one amp from kenwood which is VFM. Earlier it was 8401 nd now i suppose its 8404 model. Kindly confirm?

#57 14-Oct, 2010 10:36 PM
Karan Bhatia
Long-termer

You are absolutely right. Kenwood products are very VFM. Their head units have almost all features that you would find in head units costing more than even 25k at a price of 11k.

8401 in grey market was sold for as low as 5k which is what i paid for mine. 8404 is the successor and better looking and performs better as well. It is a better alternative to the JBL 4 ch amp if you can get it at a lower price whether grey or with bill and warranty. Highly recommended. I have no plans to part with my 8401 which has been used in almost all of my cars and looks like it can go on forever. 8404 should be even better.

Go for it if it is available at a good price.

#58 19-Oct, 2010 05:58 AM
Aswin.S
New Arrival
Joined Date: 21 Jul 2010

Hi alpine amp will cost you more in the range of 10,000/- + as its wattage will be precise than any other brands. i do have an Alpine player with me with JBL GTO 936, 6*9 oval, fitted in my car in 2006. Its working finw with excellent audio outs. Infinity speakers are costly and they do sound better than JBL. If you have any friends abroad please do get it through them. ie in UAE u will get the required models at reasonable rates.

#59 19-Oct, 2010 06:10 AM
Aswin.S
New Arrival
Joined Date: 21 Jul 2010
  • Hi karan your words are true in all respects...keep moving yaar, all the best

#60 23-Oct, 2010 05:49 PM
Rubal
Long-termer

Hi Karan,

The post is primarily meant to appreciate your genuine help & expert advice in finalising the setup for my i10. Got my Hyundai i10 yesterday from Car Life (Sector- 28, Chandigarh).The details are mentioned below. The set- up was finalised after days of research, discussions with Karan & after going through various posts related to audio set-up at TeamBhp. Yesh their have been few changes to the original setup as thought about like the selection of Amp, Rear Speakers etc.

HU: Pioneer 5250: 6800/- (Without Bill)

Front Components :JBL 608C: 4500/-(with B & W)

Rear Coaxials: Infinity Reference: 4800/-(with B & W)

Amplifier: JBL GT5- S644: 5700/- (with B & W)

Wiring: Scosche 6.5mm: 1800/-(With B & W)

Tray: 350/- (Wooden)

Labour: 250/-

Wooden Circular Platforms for mounting of Components on the front doors: 190/-

One RCA Lead: 400/-

Fog Lamps: 600/-

Total: 25490/-

Paid: 25290/-

The wiring & installation was satisfactory, the only thing which didnot go my way was the placement of Amp under the Co- passenger seat. I wanted it to be placed on the back side of the rear seat. Not too sure why the electrician placed it under the seat though it was done very very neatly. The sound quality has been good rather its exceptionally good. Components are a must on the front. They really cater well to high volume

Ask the Experts

1800 2090 230

(Toll free)