Stock speaker sizes for Indian cars and upgrade recommendations.

#111 06-Dec, 2010 08:11 PM
Karan Bhatia
Long-termer
Joined Date: 08 Jul 2010

Any good installer will be able to wire the amplifier easily.

The amplifier has 3 sets pf terminals:

Power Terminals : 3 terminals in this case :

+12V : Power cable from battery which has a fuse just inches from the battery goes to this terminal.

0V/GND: Ground cable from a point on the car chassis usually under the rear seats goes to this terminal.

REM/Remote: Thin cable from behind the Head Unit goes to this terminal. Makes sure your amplifier turns on only when you turn on the head unit.

RCA : A 4 channel amplifier will have 4 of these. 2 White and 2 Red. RCA cables from behind the Head Unit are connected here. These bring the audio signals from the head unit to the amplifier.

Speaker Terminals : Speaker wires from the speakers or from the cross-over if you have component speakers are connected here. + - + -

+ - + - or maybe some other pattern.

If you bridge the rear channel of the amplifier to run a sub-woofer,  then left-most +ve and right most -ve i.e. using 2 channels as a single channel is used for giving more power to the subwoofer.

Always ensure that the power cable from the battery and the RCA cables from the head unit never run alongside each other and are routed from opposite sides of the car. Keep the ground cable as short as possible and ensure that all wires are of good quality.

A seat belt or a helmet can give you the chance of seeing your family again. DRIVE SAFE !!
0 members liked this post

#112 06-Dec, 2010 08:20 PM
Dhanapal
Driven
Joined Date: 18 Nov 2010

@ Karan : Nice..where did u learn all these dude, im sure this is not your professionCool.. I came to know that Car audio is an ocean and we all are just swimmers only after researching for my car ausio..he he he.

karan im confused with the Head Unit, some dealers says Pioneer 4190 and 5190 are not DVD playes. is it?

Someone advised me to go for Kenwood, do you know any DVD models in Kenwood or JVC??

#113 06-Dec, 2010 08:53 PM
Karan Bhatia
Long-termer

Well dude I can assure you this is not rocket science yaar. I have managed to learn most of the things from internet and forums such as Team-BHP, diymobileaudio etc. over the past 7 months. Yes my branch of engineering i.e. Electronics does help me understand the technical part better but trust me .. the best instrument or judge of good audio whether car or home are your EARS. 

But yes the world of car audio is vast and numerous stuff that even I have to learn before I can take it up as a profession which I plan to one day.

5190 is not a DVD unit which I and Joes have used. 4190 does support video playback but I think the dealers do not stock it much since most prefer touch screen based 2-din system.

For pioneer you can check out http://www.pioneer-india.in/productlist.aspx?id=4 for audio

and http://www.pioneer-india.in/productlist.aspx?id=3 for video.

JVC makes good head units for video playback. AVX-44 and AVX-77 are one of the best around and AVX 7100 is the touch screen model where the screen flips out of the dash.

You can check out http://www.jvc.co.in/product_car_avc.htm for the same.

Kenwood has the 7013 which in my opinion is the best sound quality oriented head unit below 15k around. Should cost you about 12k but not sure. This head unit has everything and every feature that a true audio enthusiast can ask for at this price in INDIA available officially. Pioneer P80RS etc can be imported and will cost 12k or so but in market cost 20k. Kenwood 7013 is the most VFM sound quality head unit around in the market officially. you can check out http://india.kenwood.com/products/car/1din/index.html for details but mind you , this unit and the advanced features need a really good and expert installer to work with. Emperor Car audio in cochin if I am not mistaken and EVO in bangalore are the two people who can easily tune this. Not sure about your city.

Not too sure of Kenwood video units. If you wan to get a DVD unit then JVC is better priced but Pioneer is the easiest to use and tune according to taste.

EDIT: ICE installers in Chennai

POWER ZONE

Contact Information

-Address: #9 Jani Batcha Street Pudupakkam Royapettah Chennai -600014

-Landmark: 
1. Enter Pycrofts Road after crossing Clock Tower
2. Watch out for Raja Tires on left side.
3. Take left after Raja Tires
4. Enter narrow road. Need to take second left on this road. An orange building on the left side would be the clue to take the second left.
5. Power Zone is the third shop on the right side. Will come after a body shop on the right side.

-Mobile: 98415 34934

-Contact Person: Saravana Prabhu

A seat belt or a helmet can give you the chance of seeing your family again. DRIVE SAFE !!
Last Updated: 06-Dec, 2010 09:04 PM, by karan3399

#114 06-Dec, 2010 09:06 PM
Karan Bhatia
Long-termer

Hope it helps Dhanapal. I suggest you go to PowerZone or other installers that you may know of before you get your car and decide on a budget and the equipment. Ensure that your maruti dealer does not charge you for any audio equipment.

#115 06-Dec, 2010 09:27 PM
Dhanapal
Driven

I called up the Power zone guy now, he said to me the below configuration

Kenwood 5343U: 12,250

Kicker Front comp: 5200

Kicker rear: 2800

Auditor Sub: 7500

Sub Rockford Fosgate : 5000(incl enclosure)

Scoche wiring :1400

He said that he has closed the shop and he asked me to call or come tomo to his shop so that he can give me the best configuration.He was telling that Kicker, rockford,street wires are the genuine Pure Copper wires and its priced at 6500 ( OMG!!!). Where did you get his contact karan, is he a trusted guy??

#116 06-Dec, 2010 09:41 PM
Karan Bhatia
Long-termer

Got his contact from another forum and I have seen his work being documented so I guess he is a good and professional worker.

I would say since you are making a system from scratch unlike Joes who already had a head unit, I would say spend more on the head unit and get the 7013. It's a one time expenditure with good head units. See your speakers will reproduce only what it given to them by the head unit. A good head unit is like the heart of the system.

Rockford Sub is awesome for it's price. Stick to that. Get an Auditor or JBL or Kenwood 4 channel amplifier.

Kicker as a company makes only SPL products i.e. they are meant to go loud but doing that they really sacrifice the sound quality. Get a set of better components than kicker like JL Audio or Infinity or Rockford, Alpine etc. If you must spend on a video system then it is your choice but a really good audio setup will more than make up for the lack of video.

If you have the budget then get a really good audio setup. Kicker rear speaker is ok if you run them off the head unit initially. He is right about the wiring part. Pure OFC (Oxygen-Free-Copper) wires are really costly specially in India. I myself have spent a lot on Scosche and JBL wiring kit and am in the process of getting a Kicker wiring kit for the mono-amp but giving an amplifier the required power from the battery gives you the best output. It's like having to work on an empty stomach and working after a good hearty breakfast in morning. You can make out which give better output.

#117 06-Dec, 2010 09:51 PM
Dhanapal
Driven

Hmmm..let me go to his shop directly so that i can get a better idea. As you advised ill go with your configuration

Kenwood Hu 7013( any idea about the cost)

Infinity Comp and rear co axial

Auditor amp

Rockford Fosgate sub

Hope this should come under 30 to 32k, coz i have to spend extra for Sunfils, remote, horn and haleogen 100/90 bulbs...My Mom and my wife are gonna Beat meeeeeeee....Wink

#118 06-Dec, 2010 10:15 PM
Karan Bhatia
Long-termer

I am not sure about the price in Chennai. I was getting the same set here for 11k but through a friend who knows the dealer.

I would say to go for Rockford than the Infinity components. I have used them in my Verna and now in my i10. They are a better suited for sedans with bigger cabin space since these are a tad bit sharp.

I suggested these to Joes keeping in mind that heis setup was to be in a sedan. A lot of my friends find Infinity just perfect while I find them a bit sharp in some songs but seeing what ever was available to me and my lack of knowledge when I got them, I would still rate them value for money.

Focal Access is another good option. I cannot be sure about the final budget but I expect it should fall below 35K. PowerZone can help you decide an exact configuration for your budget as I am not sure about the price over there.

But be ready to over shoot your budget if it comes to that. If it comes to a compromise then save the money on the rear speakers and get them later on.

Do let me know what configuration you get. I am still not able to justify the cost of my setup to my mom but since i got a really good setup for dad's car, he does not mind much rather enjoys the setup a lot.

Last Updated: 06-Dec, 2010 10:18 PM, by karan3399

#119 07-Dec, 2010 05:12 PM
Dhanapal
Driven

Hi Karan,

I went to Power zone and met Saravana Prabhu..Oh boy he is a Professional Installer and had a great knowledge about Car Audio.

I said our configuration,

Pioneer/Kenwood Head Unit

Infinity Component 6030c

Infinity Rear Speakers

JBL GT5-644 4 ch amp

Rockford Fosgate Sub

He asked me my taste whethere im into Sound quality or blast kind of sound.I said i want Blask kind of sound but no compromise on sound quality and clarity. He was happy with the above Configuration.

The changes he asked me to do is to go for a Pioneer 4 ch amp. Reg HU,he advised me to go for Pioneer 5250(cd with usb) player or equivalent in Kenwood. he feels DVD is not required. He asked me to go for Auditor Amp and Sub if i can stretch my Budget a bit.

He asked me to get my car damped,he suggested Dynamat Damping material which costs 1800 bucks/sheet( need 2 sheets for damping the Front)...he also had an UK  brand damping material which is 1200 per sheet.

He said the rates at which i buy the audio is very good.so he asked to get the audio components from my dealer and he will install it for me. he charges 1800 for audio system alone, 2200 for audio and damping..

I am confused here, tht dealer said he will do it for me free of cost, should i spend extra 2.2k here.

#120 07-Dec, 2010 05:35 PM
Karan Bhatia
Long-termer

His charges are high but then he will do the most professional install possible. It is up yo you to decide because in the end it is the sound that matters. PowerZone will do it the best way possible surely but I cannot say anything about the dealer.

As for the amplifier, stick with JBL or if you can stretch the budget then go for Auditor. Pioneer amplifiers have some what lost the plot with new models. I don't think they will give you the right amount of quality you need with a full blast setup.

Damping is really well priced I must say. Ask PowerZone about NoiseKill. He has done it in a fiesta sometime back but not sure if he keeps it in stock as it is available in Bombay.

Dynamat is well priced and trust me you will not find a better damping than this. If you can accomodate this in your budget then do go for it. You car door will feel like a tank with just one sheet. The other one he mentioned should also be good.

The head unit is the part I am not satisfied with. Not sure if the 5250 has 3 pre-out required. Strange that the 5190 is out of stock when it was a really good head unit. The newer 5290 has half the features than 5190 has.

Here's what I would suggest. Keep the basic pioneer head units as the last option. Kenwood is a good option but I really don't know much about many of them except the 7013. Wait for the JBL head units to hit the market. There will be 2 models with 3 pre outs supporting all types of USB and memory cards and really nice features. The models will be different in terms of lack of CD playback in the lower model but both will support USB, iPod, SD Cards etc. 

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=162165577157949&set=a.100475096660331.118.100342483340259

Please do check out the above link.