To buy a New Maruti 800 OR a pre-owned ALTO?

#1 03-Jun, 2009 05:41 PM
Manoj
New Arrival
Joined Date: 03 Jun 2009

Hello Friends,

I am planning to buy a first car for my family. My budget (in these times of recession) is around 2 Lakhs.

My first choice was to pick up a pre-owned ALTO LXI. When i ventured out into the Market (First Choice, True Value) i found ALTO LXI available for my budget of 2 lakhs but the KMS run in these vehicles were > 50,000 kms and were older than 2004 models.

When i searched for ALTO's within 20,000-30,000 Kms, i found the price to be touching 2.4-2.75 Lakhs.

On second thought, I also enquired the rates of New Maruti 800 A/C. It costs something around 2.3-2.4 Lakhs.

Now, I am in a dilemma whether to go for a New Maruti 800 OR should i continue searching for a good deal on pre-owned ALTO LXI?

Request the experts here to guide me in my first venture of buying a car.

I will be using the Car ONLY on Weekends and very occasionally on weekdays.

Thanks,

Manoj Asrani (Bangalore)

0 members liked this post

#2 03-Jun, 2009 06:05 PM
Sridhar
Joined Date: 22 Dec 2007

a new car is always better than a used one. You may end up searching ekdlessly for an alto which is not having a huge run on its odo and at the same time is in your budget. Better go in for the 800 and have a peace of mind

If you like the reply given by a member and find it useful, use the 'Like this post' button (thumbs up) at the bottom of that post than making a post just to thank that person

#3 03-Jun, 2009 06:36 PM
Rajiv
Legend
Joined Date: 26 Nov 2007

I will 2nd Centaur, A new car is always better so in your case you can consider 800!

People dont change when you tell them that there is a Better option... They change when they realise that there is No Other Option..

#4 03-Jun, 2009 07:26 PM
Manoj
New Arrival

Thanks to Centaur & Rajiv for the quick replies.

My only question to you is - "How good or bad would it be in buying a M800 (which is such an old model) these days when we have better featured cars (Power Steering, looks, etc) like ALTO,etc on roads? "

I mean do people still buy this M800 car? I am really not sure about the statistics.

#5 04-Jun, 2009 12:16 AM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

I'm a bit surprised at the price Alto LXi is being offered to you.  A budget of Rs.2 lac should fetch you an Alto LXi of 2006 model with 35-40K used.  Please note that a new Alto LXi costs a little over Rs.3 lac (on-road price).

In my opinion... though a new car is always a new car, a second hand Alto LXi in good condition will be a better buy than new M800 (my opinion).  Alto is a better car (engine/performance), more spacious/comfortable & has better/more features.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#6 04-Jun, 2009 10:44 AM
Sridhar
Joined Date: 22 Dec 2007

@Pankaj -  i too would be surprised at the prie in which Manoj is getting the Alto but sometime ago I happened to check for available cars for a friend of mine who too was interested in an Alto/M800. In spite of having done around 50k kms the cars still are no less than 2.5 lacs. The ones cheaper are in pathetic condition. I even checked many other sites but the price and vehicle usage is more o less the same.My friend is still on for a hunt for a seconds but has not found one yetSmile.

@Manoj - if you want a second hand then better try with True value. Though a bit expensive but you still would have a car which had been thoroughly inspected and warranty on it. Another thing will be to take everything in writing from them as in the time period for the warranty, parts covered in the warranty etc. Buying a new M800 is not a problem. Iniitially they were planning to phase it out in some states from 2011 but recently I read in cartrade India that the R&D engineers are working on the BS IV engine for the M800. And on the extreme end even if they do stop the production you still wont have any problems for the spares. Resale is not to be much of a botheration as a new car itself costs around 2 lacs.

If you like the reply given by a member and find it useful, use the 'Like this post' button (thumbs up) at the bottom of that post than making a post just to thank that person

#7 04-Jun, 2009 11:15 AM
Manoj
New Arrival

Thank you everyone for posting your opinions in this thread.

I had also made up my mind that in-case i go for a Second Hand Car, it would be ONLY from True Value Maruti.

To give an example of the pre-owned cars they have at present -

1) ALTO LXI -Dec 2004 - 40,000 Kms (Rs.2.25 Lakhs)

2) ALTO LX - July 2004 - 59,000 Kms (Rs.2.1 Lakhs)

3) ALTO LX - July 2006 - 75,000 Kms (Rs.1.85 Lakhs)

4) ALTO LXI - Jan 2008 - 23,000 Kms (2.85 Lakhs)

The 1st one in this list just got picked up yesterday

And present price for a New ALTO LXI here is 3.20 Lakhs and M800 AC is b/w 2.3 -2.4 Lakhs

#8 04-Jun, 2009 03:48 PM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

True Value do charge higher than the market - but is known to be good & safe.  You can alternatively look for individual sellers (may be tedious, of course).

I would suggest... if need be, increase your budget a little - prefer an used Alto (good condition) ahead of new M800.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.
Last Updated: 04-Jun, 2009 03:51 PM, by Pankaj.Prasad

This discussion is closed for new replies.