for best experience

Temporary Registration of 4 wheeler

Pages : 123
#1 15-May, 2009 05:12 PM
Aradhana
New Arrival
Joined Date: 15 May 2009

Hi,

I am planning to buy a 4- Wheeler from Thane and take it to UP.
Since I will be taking permanent registration from UP, Please tell me how much will a temporary registration cost in Thane??

0 members liked this post

#2 15-May, 2009 09:17 PM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

I'm not aware of the charges in Thane but it should be around Rs.500/- (like here in Gujarat).

Just in case you are not aware... for getting it registered in UP, the vehicle invoice/bill should bear UP address.  The temp. registration is normally valid for 1 month period.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#3 20-May, 2009 11:50 AM
Kash
New Arrival
Joined Date: 05 Dec 2008

A further question. When we take out a temporary registration, is it possible to get a insurance on it? I ask this because if I purchase the car in Pune and take it to Rajkot and get it registered there, then I would like to have an insurance with me when I drive the car from Pune to Rajkot.

Thanks and Regards,

Kash

Last Updated: 20-May, 2009 11:57 AM, by kash.prodigy

#4 20-May, 2009 08:21 PM
Pankaj Prasad

Insurance is mandatory before delivery.  It will contain your address, as mentioned in the car invoice/bill.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#5 25-May, 2009 05:27 PM
Aradhana
New Arrival
Joined Date: 15 May 2009

Thanks for the above reply.My Dealer took 1100 for temporary RegistrationEmbarassed

Further he is saying that this will be  valid only for 1 week.

Well, 1 more question regarding the same. Since I am getting my car registered temporary in Thane without the Octroi price, dealer told me that it can not enter Mumbai and Thane(I am supposed to pick it up from Vasai,which lies outside Mumbai). Not entering Mumbai seems fine, but why it can not enter Thane?

Is there such kind of restriction on temporary registered cars??

#6 25-May, 2009 08:46 PM
Pankaj Prasad

There is no restriction in driving the car with the temp. registration - anywhere (within the validity period of the temp. registration).

I guess your UP address is mentioned in the car invoice/bill, as you plan to get it registered there.  Therefore, you will be paying the taxes (including Octroi, if applicable) in UP.

#7 25-May, 2009 09:31 PM
Feroz
Best-seller
Joined Date: 19 Oct 2008

Posted by Pankaj Prasad

There is no restriction in driving the car with the temp. registration - anywhere (within the validity period of the temp. registration).

This is not true always. Temporary registration rules differ with states.

In Kerala(also in AP):

"A Temporary Registration is granted to a new vehicle to transport it from the place of purchase to the place of registration. The temporary registration is issued for a period of 7 days.But for a chassis to which a body has to be built ,the validity will be for one month."

That means TR is meant only for the transit from dealership to home and RTO.

There is no system of Temporary Registration before Permanant Registration in most of the states. In Delhi even dealers(not everyone) are given registering power. So they issue permanent RC to owners after verifying documents with the vehicle itself.

But I think Maharashtra also follows rules of Temporary Regn. as in Kerala.

Please go through the site of maharashtra motor vehicles dept.

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.
Last Updated: 25-May, 2009 09:49 PM, by Feroz

#8 25-May, 2009 10:46 PM
Pankaj Prasad

Posted by Feroz

"A Temporary Registration is granted to a new vehicle to transport it from the place of purchase to the place of registration.

Thanks for clarifying.  I wasn't aware of this.  In this case, the place of purchase is Thane & the place of registration UP.

#9 26-May, 2009 08:43 PM
Feroz
Best-seller
Joined Date: 19 Oct 2008

There is no problem in registering in other state after purchase. Many a people here purchase vehicles from Coimbatore and register in Kerala. But the tax burden is more.

Also one can extend the validity of temporary permit by paying a nominal fee.

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.

#10 27-May, 2009 07:21 AM
Pankaj Prasad

Yes, there's no restriction on purchasing the vehicle from other state & registering it elsewhere.  But it will be registered at the place, as per the residential address mentioned in the invoice/bill - post #6.

I understand that temp. registration (7 days) can be extended up to 1 month.  Or can it be extended further? Here the temp. registrations are valid up to 30 days.

Pages : 123

Ask the Experts

1800 2090 230

(Toll free)