for best experience

Shocking pick-up. Disappointed - Hyundai i20 User Review

Pages : 123
#1 26-Jul, 2012 05:24 PM
Anand Mohan
New Arrival
Joined Date: 30 Jul 2012
Dear Friends,

I have written a review on Hyundai i20 and look forward to your comments on it.

Review Link: Shocking pick-up. Disappointed 

Thanks.

0 members liked this post

#2 27-Jul, 2012 12:15 PM
Nipun Bharti
Legend
Joined Date: 28 May 2008

Figo diesel has the best turbo in the hatch segment.It starts at a low 1200 rpm and you feel the power in your command.

#3 27-Jul, 2012 03:51 PM
Arun
Legend
Joined Date: 07 Dec 2009

i own the 5 speed i20 crdi magna. the entry into my apartment block is quite steep but I have not found any issues even with AC on and 4 adults in 1st gear. 2nd gear is for 20 to 40 kms/H below 20 you have to go to 1st gear.

I dont think there should be a sharp difference in initial pickup between the punto and i20 diesels. 90 bhp versus 89 BHP and the turbo lag should be more or less the same or slightly better in the i20 crdi.

maybe you need to check with the ASC for the pressure in the cylinders or something.

do give more feedback. Even the i20 petrol did not have such bad pickup feedback.Undecided

#4 30-Jul, 2012 01:29 PM
Anand Mohan
New Arrival

Thanks Arun/Nipun for your inputs.

I am not sure, but Hyundai might have tuned the engine for 6 speed and 5 speed differently. You are right about the low speed-gear combinations. What I meant was, that at 20 km/hr speed generally you can still use the 2nd gear with some lag, but car won't at least go out of breath completely, as its still in movement. But this i20 just starts viberating, as if it is 3rd and not 2nd gear. For the steep part, If its in momentum, it is fine. Infact, just a day back I took it for 1st service and I reported this issue. The mechanic showed me going up a steep entry into the service area a couple of times. Then I asked him to go half the hill and pull over; then pick the car again from there. And guess what, he tried twice and both times ended-up giving the ignition again. Now imagine when you are stuck even in a mild traffic jam on Mussoorie or Simla hills... Yell

They ofcourse could not do anything apart from some computer scanning etc. Nipun is right, it is actually about the turbo engagement. In my i20, turbo engages at 1700 rpm (then it is a real BEAST) and hence intial lag is huge. In Punto, it engages at around 12-1300 rpm. There is a reason why Multijet is an award winning engine!

Call it a knee-jerk reaction, but just wanna get rid of this white elephant asap...and go for Punto Sport...

#5 01-Aug, 2012 09:08 AM
Arun
Legend
Joined Date: 07 Dec 2009

Better make a TD in the punto with half way up hill stop and go to confirm. all the best.

#6 07-Aug, 2012 04:11 PM
C R Pradhan
Long-termer
Joined Date: 01 Jul 2011

Dear Anand,

Sorry to hear the problem you are facing with your new car. My request is not to take a decision in a haste.

I have driven i-20 CRDI( 5 gear- old model), Swift DDIS, Figo 1.4 diesel, Micra diesel, SX4 diesel, Sunny diesel, Punto 75 bhp & 90 bhp diesel etc. My car is Verna 1.6 CRDI. With certainty, I can tell you that barring my car, the i-20 CRDI has the best pick up & that too by a big margin when in turbo zone if you compare with all the cars I have mentioned. Also the top end performance of i-20 CRDI say above 120 kmph is way better. It pulls cleanly upto 160 kmph. In turbo zone, it leaves the aove cars for dead, Figo, Punto 90 bhp included. In the older model which I had driven turbo was getting on at 2000 rpm.

But before the turbo is on, the pulling power of the car is pathetic, much slower than Figo, Micra & even Swift. In figo & micra, turbo lag is not felt. Swift is quicker than i-20 in non- turbo zone. Mean time Hyndai has improved on diesel technology. In my car, turbo comes on at 1500 rpm, even before turbo, the pulling is decent. 

I feel your car might have a problem in turbo. Please get it checked with Hyundai. They are known for good service & I am sure if there is any problem, it is surely rectifiable.

Your old car had turbo lag upto 2000 rpm not 1200-1300 rpm. If you had managed with that, then your new car should not pose any problem, may be in non-turbo zone it is tad slower.

Your new car should be way refined to Punto diesel. I was not impressed with 90 bhp Punto while taking a TD. It was making too much of a noise in side the cabin while accelarating, the pick up was also slow. The only area where Punto should score over i-20 is suspension & handling to some extent. Please do share your experience & high speed manners of both i-20 & Punto.

Best wishes.

Thanks     

#7 07-Aug, 2012 05:53 PM
Anand Mohan
New Arrival

Thanks Mr. Pradhan. I really appreciate i20's performance in the turbo zone. No problem with that. It is only the non-turbo zone, specially, the initial pick-up, I am concerned about. Never had this problem in Punto. Punto has a progressive thrust into turbo zone, so you dont feel the turbo difference too much. Which is good btw (more like petrol car), if the "amazing" thrust comes at the cost of dismal performance in non-turbo zone. I think it is not a problem in my car, the engine is made like that. Will try to drive some other i20 CRDi sometime. Hyundai does have good service, but for such "peculiar" issues, will have to escalate. They won't realize it in the normal complaint register.

Straight line acceleration is excellent. So I don't mind going to 140 km/hr. However, the moment you hit a corner or put brakes, the handling and suspension disappoint you Frown. In simple words, you are not a confident driver in 3 figure speeds on i20. Punto/Swift are excellent on high speeds. Cornering is their play-ground. You are always confident with their steerings, specially Punto's. I am sure it would be same with other Euro and US cars.

#8 07-Aug, 2012 06:26 PM
C R Pradhan
Long-termer
Joined Date: 01 Jul 2011

Dear Anand,

If you want a most petrol like diesel hatch, Micra it is for you. You can hardly notice when is the turbo comes to action. But beyound 100 kmph, it feels anemic, where i-20 shines. Also in Micra the noise level inside the cabin is much higher than your i-20 CRDI. No car is perfect in all parameters & so is i-20. Rather than replacing your car which in any way is an expensive option, I suggest you to apply your mind on tuning box/racing chip costing around 20-30k. It will help you to tide over the turbo lag problem to a large extent, though I do not have any first hand experience of tuning box/racing chip.

By the way, has the AC of your car good enough which was terrible in the older model which I had driven?

Thanks   

#9 08-Aug, 2012 12:40 PM
Anand Mohan
New Arrival

Hmmm...let's see. I am actually a very frequent hills traveller. If I face any evident problem with this car there, I shall look for other options. Micra & Pulse were never options due to small size. If in any case I do go for an early change, I will go with Ford Classic or Etios. Have learned one thing, rarely used features or looks are no comparison to drivability and peace of mind. Smile

I did hear about the A/C problems of this car earlier, but thankfully, it seems to have been taken care of in iGen. The temp-control thing is good and even in 40+ temp, it cools reasonabely fine. Still, cant' compare it to my Sanro's A/C, which can beat it anytime. And ya, those vents at the bottom of front seats are good for nothing. You hardly feel any air coming out of them with any setting.

#10 17-Aug, 2012 01:48 PM
Victor
Best-seller
Joined Date: 25 Jun 2009

i20 is seen by many as a powerful car - I always wondered why.

Whether in initial or in gear acceleration - i20 is far behind many other cars.

But the problem you are facing seems to be specific to your car - losing breath on an inlcline in a mall. Just check another i20 and if the problem is specific to your car, take it up with Hyundai.

No Hyundai car is safe above 90 or 100 KMPH and since you moved from Punto to i20 the feel for "loss of control" will be far more pronounced.

Pages : 123

Ask the Experts

1800 2090 230

(Toll free)