New Car pulling to the left

Pages : 12345678
#1 06-May, 2012 06:33 PM
Vikas
Driven
Joined Date: 06 May 2012

Hi All,

I bought a New Skoda Rapid 1.8TDI (Ambition). Ever sine i got the car it pulls/drifts slightly to the left when i release the steering wheel.

This is also evident when theres a rough patch or a small speed-bump in the road.

It is disconcerting. Have taken the car to the Fahrenheit Aotumobiles wokshops about 4 times since i started driving it 4 months ago but they return the vehicle saying `alignment is all right' however the problem continues unabated.

The steering wheel also assumes a slight left rotated position (maybe about 3-4 minutes rotation) when it is left.

I bought the vehicle thinking it's a premium vehicle but am finding these repeated visits and non-resolution of the problem VERY disconcerting.

Please guide.

Regards

Vikas

(Delhi)

0 members liked this post

#2 06-May, 2012 06:49 PM
Vikas
Driven

The tyres are Apollo Acelere on this Skoda Rapid!

#3 06-May, 2012 09:21 PM
Sankalp
Joined Date: 28 Mar 2009

Have you been provided with the alignment report? If yes then do post it here. If no, I suggest you visit a tyre shop with good equipmentt and get the alignment checked. Most probably, your problem will be solved. If not, then you might have to send a written complaint to skoda auto.

Every time we think of enjoying smooth, silent and killer petrol engines, they call a rise in petrol prices!

#4 06-May, 2012 11:50 PM
Vikas
Driven

Dear Sanshriand,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes i have been to SKODA service 4 times, each time they have said `minor alignment out, has been corrected' but the car still pulls to the left all the time. 

I suspect its not an alignment problem as if it were, it would have been fixed when the alignment is fixed (in fact the alignment was not outside tolerable limits if i remember correctly).

I am reading a LOT of problems with Apollo Acelere tyres causing a leftward pull on Vento and Polo due to which they have been discontinued...also on Chevy Sparks...online reports say that both VW and GM have stopped using these tyres...

Any information anyone here might have on that?

I'm really troubled...as the Rapid is a splendid vehicle otherwise!

Regards

#5 07-May, 2012 08:21 AM
Sankalp
Joined Date: 28 Mar 2009
If you suspect the tyres, you could ask the service center to swap the tyres with some other brand and check if the pulling still exists. Still, I personally would not let go of the alignment issue. Many service centers do not have experienced staff for wheel alignment and hence such problems can come up. First ensure alignment is correct and then move on to tyres.

Every time we think of enjoying smooth, silent and killer petrol engines, they call a rise in petrol prices!

#6 07-May, 2012 01:28 PM
Nipun Bharti
Legend
Joined Date: 28 May 2008

As mentioned by sans,do get the alignment checked at a good outside joint,also check (same place can also do this) if the left frort broke shoe is sticking to the disc.If not resolved,take up strongly with Skoda.I notice that VW and Skoda are brothers and both Rapid and Vento sisters.Both are having  this problem.

The problem seems to be related with car(Vento and Rapid) rather than with tyres.If it was with tyres some cars would be pulling left and some to  right.Here,all repoted cars are pulling left,so do follow up to its satisfaction

Last Updated: 07-May, 2012 06:55 PM, by rohit.b.d.

#7 10-May, 2012 11:09 AM
Himanshu
Best-seller
Joined Date: 09 Apr 2007

I too would like to agree with Nipun and Sankalp. It is not becuase of th tyres as they are pretty new. Once the tyre starts wearing out, it can cause this problem but not new tyres.

In all probability, the service guys are just doing their routine with wheel alignment and giving you the same response. If you go back to them for 5th/6th/7th time, I guess their answer woudl still be the same.

Best approach is as suggested. first get the alignment checked. If that is found to be ok, get the brakes checked. Car moving in one direction can only be becuase one of the wheels is pulling it in that direction. Wheel will do so only if it is not aligned properly or if something else is forcing it.

P.S. I am assuming that you expereince this problem on different roads and not just one particular road. Normally if a road is banked at a certain angle, then that too would result in the car moving left or right. If that is the case, there is nothing wrong with the car. 

#8 11-May, 2012 09:13 PM
Vikas
Driven

Thanks for your replies friends.

They have now had my car for 1 week...and for the problem which they denied for 4 months the existence of...and now are unable to fix it.

They said a team from skoda has come to troubleshoot and by tomorrow will give me a fix!

Lets see...

Need the email of any top level Skoda manager to send him the 3 page complaint i have written on the issue...

Regards

Vikas

#9 19-May, 2012 09:21 AM
Mathew
Long-termer
Joined Date: 18 Jun 2008

Forget about this friend and try to live with this problem. We are living in a country where customer as no value.

I have same problem with Tata. The only service I am happy about Airtel which is only upto 60%.

The best is to buy an alto w/o power steering and power window. I mean minimum technology, price and features. With this you will gain much better peace of mind.

#10 27-May, 2012 09:32 AM
Vikas
Driven

Hi All,

Latest update, the car is still pulling to the left, i found out they had hyperinflated the left side tyres to 36psi and kept right side ones to 32 psi...so i would not notice the pull so much.

One visit to the petrol pump to normalise the tyre pressure...and the car is pulling to the left.

Apart from consumer court, is there any other forum? Is this under the ambit of the transport authority of the government...given that it is technically an unsafe vehicle they have sold and are covering up, putting passengers lives at risk!

Regards

Vikas

Pages : 12345678