Santro power steering oil leakage problem

#1 03-Jul, 2010 05:03 PM
Santhanam
Beloved
Joined Date: 23 May 2008

hello friends,

power steering oil in my Santro car is leaking, i've shown it to a local mechanic who suggested repair work, cost suggested around 4k.  my car is in warranty period, i've shown it to a dealer of Hyundai, he told me to take it to workshop day after. charges approx. 2k suggested.  Power steering oil level (after opening bonnet i've checkeed this) is little bit low but not gone drastically down and the level of leakage seems to be gradual.   is't ok to run the vehicle today and tomorrow. tomorrow being Sunday i was planning to go out for a longer distance.  how would it affect my car if i run my car as usual for two days and the power steering oil is reduced. 

Santhanam 

Last Updated: 03-Jul, 2010 05:05 PM, by santhanam99
0 members liked this post

#2 03-Jul, 2010 08:04 PM
Vijay Khasa
Road-tested
Joined Date: 11 Jan 2010

if your car is in waranty it should be repaired under waranty.

Where is the oil leaking from from the steering column or pipe or container.

You can run your car as long as there is power steering oil in the container. Buy a powersteering oil can and take it with you and top-up the fluid if necessary

#3 03-Jul, 2010 09:08 PM
Krishna
Joined Date: 10 Jan 2009

In my opinion, the reduced oil will not affect the functionality of the steering, just the power assist will not be available, even if the HPS oil level is low.

No harm in these two days is anticipated. Unless the leak is too severe, even the top-up may not be required.

#4 05-Jul, 2010 10:15 PM
Nitin A
Road-tested
Joined Date: 28 Jun 2010

it will be done free of cost by hyundai.......dude just go to the manager if its under warranty.......u dont have to pay any money for ur oil leak........if they dont do this repair work then call media...

#5 06-Jul, 2010 04:53 PM
Selva Kumar
Best-seller
Joined Date: 29 Aug 2008

IMO Santhanam or a rodent has done something really bad!  It was unnecessary to go to a mechanic when ones car is under Warranty!

Santhanam

Why not tell us what really happened for the PS oil to leak ?  Dont drive with more than 1 cm below "MIN" level mark in the PS oil reservoir.

Never mind what others say, do whats right for that moment!

#6 07-Jul, 2010 09:54 PM
Santhanam
Beloved
Joined Date: 23 May 2008

Thanks everyone,

it was a problem of leakage of power steering oil inside the driver cabin (very slow and very little but the clutch pad and the break pad were getting wet with oil).,  i've initially taken it to dealer "Sunrise hyundai" near my home, the 'service advisor' initially told me that the entire steering system is to be replaced as the parts are not available, the 'Manager, services' scolded him and asked him to replace the worn out "steering seal" with the new one which according to him was available, i've left the car on an assurance that it will be done and car will be delivered by evening, after around 2 hours the 'service in charge' called up and told me that i can take the car back as the required "steering seal" for that type of steering "Roma" is not available and it has to be ordered and it will take a few days. while i was planning to go there and take the car back, i got another call from the Manager (who was initially asking the 'service in charge' to do the replacement) saying that the work will be done as the said parts is brought from their other workshop. i have asked him not to do it and requested that i will go there and take the car back.  he said car is already opened for the work.  i told him to give me back the vehicle by closing it.  when i went there, the car was elevated, bonnet was opened, steering wheel was taken out and kept down, wheels were both removed.  they said all these were required to check up the leakage.  as requested by me, they closed it and given it back to me, while placing the steering wheel back there was a tilt, which they asked some mechanic to correct manually. he has done something, but however, i found that there was still a tilt in the steering and wheels are not in the same direction as steering wheel.

next day i took the vehicle to company owned workshop, HMP in mathura road, by evening they've given it back. i was satisfied with the services at HMP.  service in charge told me that there was no need for any replacement, some rubber part was rightly fixed.  He asked me to check up the power steering oil level for a few days and report in case of any problem.  He also said there was a pulling of the car towards left and it was corrected by replacing the left and right wheels in the front side. He has taken the number of the 'service in charge' of the dealer at Sunrise hyundai and asked him over telephone as to why they were misleading me on the other day,. Sunrise man was not able to properly explain the fault in the car and told that he doesn't remember exactly and has to ask the service mechanic as to the exact problem. 

however, HMP has not charged me any amount.

friends, i was little worried as to whether the dealer Sunrise hyundai has done some mischief, or why they have unnecessarily opened and removed the steering wheel and front side wheels etc.

advices would be welcome.

Santhanam

Last Updated: 07-Jul, 2010 10:03 PM, by santhanam99

#7 08-Jul, 2010 10:05 AM
Selva Kumar
Best-seller
Joined Date: 29 Aug 2008

Santhanam

What you had done is right.  Never ever go back to "Sunrise".  As the problem has been sorted out, dont break your mind on what was done earlier.  Periodically check PS Oil reservoir for level change.  Good Luck!.

Never mind what others say, do whats right for that moment!