Your views required to buy a new car

Pages : 12
#1 06-Apr, 2010 03:39 PM
Debasis
New Arrival
Joined Date: 06 Apr 2010

Hello everyone.,

I have been going through the carwale forums for a loooonng  time now. I really liked the discussions and the honest opinion that everyone provides. I joined the forum as i am convinced that i will get the best opinions here.

This will be my first car and for me a car is like a pet. My driving will be 90% in city (pune) and remaining in highways. This automatically translates into petrol version. Considering the weird traffic in pune and those suicidal rickshaws it should have a very nice manuavering capability. Not to mention the bumper to bumper traffic, good amount of torque in low rpms is what i am looking for. Although my family is nuclear we are tall, (me being 6").

I donot want to go for a sedan as it will be a pain in the parkings as well as in the pocket. I have narrowed down on premium hatchbacks. Now the dilema begins,

The current "to be considered" list has, 1.Fiat Grande Punto 1.4L,,,2.Hyundai i10 Asta,,,3.Ford Figo.

I don't want to go for maruti as i don't like the driving comfort they offer, not to mention the cheap plastic. I have done a TD of GP 1.4L and i liked the car but the rear seat is a bit cramped.

Could any one of you please help me out with the technicalities and selection among them for me??

0 members liked this post

#2 06-Apr, 2010 03:50 PM
Naveen Rao
Beloved
Joined Date: 30 Aug 2009

Debasis,

Welcome to the forums. I own a Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD so I will talk about it:

I have been floored by its ride and handling quality till date. Just to update, I have run around 4K till now and faced no problems whatsoever.However, like you mentioned, you are feeling a little cramped at the rear, I am not too sure how many folks are going to be constantly using the rear seats. But my cousins who are 6' + have felt comfortable sitting in the rear. However, thats purely for you to decide if it actually is comfortable or not.

Additionally, it would really help if you could point out your total kms driving in a month - this would help you shortlist on either a diesel or a petrol. 

My 2 bits, All the best with your buy.

Cheers,
Naveen

#3 06-Apr, 2010 04:20 PM
Bhavin Shah
Best-seller
Joined Date: 12 Aug 2008

Dear Debasis, from your list of cars FIGO is clear winner as oveall car. However, due to your height, you have to adjust the seat in such a way that you can find proper posture. The front leg room in FIGO is average, so you have to see whether you can adjust to it or not. Except this point, I think FIGO is best VFM car. All the best.

#4 07-Apr, 2010 01:43 PM
Debasis
New Arrival

@naveenrao:- Thanks very much for your input. My monthly driving will be somewhere in between 2000 to 2500Kms. I am more concerned with the ride quality of punto in the city.

@nikvint:- Thank you for your suggestion. Somehow i am not inclined towards ford in the small car segment. Can you shed some light on the interiors of figo?

#5 07-Apr, 2010 01:51 PM
Siddhartha Singh
Beloved
Joined Date: 03 Jan 2010

Posted by debasis.c

My monthly driving will be somewhere in between 2000 to 2500Kms. I am more concerned with the ride quality of punto in the city.

For this you need a diesel car.Punto is the best option at present the MJD one.You can seriously consider this car for sure. 

I own a Ferrari In Affordable Trim aka Fiat

#6 07-Apr, 2010 01:54 PM
RJD
Ranjit Dangare
Best-seller
Joined Date: 19 Jun 2009

For your kind monthly usage Diesel car will be good and economic. Why don't you look at Vista Quadrajet.

It takes less time to do things right than to explain why you did it wrong.

#7 07-Apr, 2010 02:03 PM
S Menon
Best-seller
Joined Date: 18 May 2009

Posted by debasis.c
My driving will be 90% in city (pune) and remaining in highways. This automatically translates into petrol version.

Debasis you may want to revisit this judgement as

1.  Today's diesels are not just about economy/saving money therefore the running you do does not determine the fuel you will use.

2.  By disregarding the diesels you are automatically removing fun from the equation - none of the large hatches today have a decent petrol engine that can make you smile.  On the other hand, most of the diesels are peppy, have a lot of low-end torque and driveability, and WILL kill their petrol counterparts in any 'performance' equation.

3.  Once you buy your dream car and get used to it, you will find yourself making more than the occassional foray outside the city.  You will discover new places and weekend joints outside the city that are just a quick couple of hours drive away - especially in today's world with some really good highways that have shrunk distances.  When this happens, you will thank yourself for buying a diesel.

Posted by debasis.c
I don't want to go for maruti as i don't like the driving comfort they offer, not to mention the cheap plastic.

Er...if you're talking cheap plastic, then the Ford Figo and the a lesser extent the Punto also go out of the equation.  The Ford is full of cheap (but decent looking) plastics and the Punto has a mix of good and really bad plastics.

Posted by debasis.c
I have done a TD of GP 1.4L and i liked the car but the rear seat is a bit cramped.

I've said this for the Punto and the Linea, but nobody seems to believe this.  The headroom in both is more than a bit iffy in the rear.

If you're looking for VFM, go for the Figo - but do yourself a favour and buy the diesel.  The Figo petrol has been described as anaemic by a lot of people (I drove the diesel, not the petrol) so please bear this in mind.

If you're looking for QUALITY, space, reliability, peace of mind and excellent after sales support, the i20 is worth every cent of the premium it commands.

The i10 on your list is really not part of this bandwagon - it is a size smaller, though I agree that seating is excellent in the i10, better than the likes of the Swift and Punto.  It also shares the same excellent in quality levels and interiors with its bigger brother. 

Still, this is your DREAM car and I would advice you to not restrict yourself to the i10 - go for a car thats a segment bigger and it will be your dream car for a longer period of time.

My advice therefore is:

1.  VFM Choice - Ford Figo DIESEL

2.  Quality Choice - Hyundai i20 CRDi (preferably) or 1.4 petrol

3.  Dont disregard the Marutis - the Ritz is a good choice for your requirements, IF you can live with those looks.

Keep those wheels turning!

#8 07-Apr, 2010 02:11 PM
Ravi
Long-termer
Joined Date: 10 May 2009

Yes for your running, it has to be Diesel.

And Punto will suit you more, because the front seat has long travel, so for your height you should feel comfortable.

Regarding rear sear, if you felt Punto's seats cramped, you will find all hatches almost same (exception is Vista).

Punto gives excellent mileage - http://www.carwale.com/Forums/ViewThread-16685.html

Figo is also good car and true VFM product.

i10 doesn't come in this category.

#9 07-Apr, 2010 02:22 PM
S Menon
Best-seller
Joined Date: 18 May 2009

PS:  JUST READ THIS:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/auto/automobiles/Hyundai-relaunches-i20-adds-two-new-variants/articleshow/5769842.cms 

Apparently a new 'Era' variant of the i20 has been launched today to address the VFM market - it starts at Rs.4.5 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi.

Also, all existing and new variants of the i20 CRDi will get a 6-speed gearbox - thats one additional gear for the very revv-happy and powerful diesel.

Sounds really good.

Keep those wheels turning!

#10 07-Apr, 2010 04:30 PM
Debasis
New Arrival

@steeroid:- thank you very much for the low down. I am going to do a TD of 1.3D GP tomorrow. Figo is very new to the market hence i don't want to keep it as an option. Other then that i can try it too.

Thank you all for the response. I will update after the TD.

Pages : 12