for best experience

Recommendation of best car for 15 lakhs

Pages : 12
#1 28-Feb, 2010 04:54 PM
Rajeev
New Arrival
Joined Date: 19 Aug 2006

Dear All,

I need some help in deciding the car for me. The budget is around 12-15 lakhs. Monthly running is 3000kms and is most of times selfdriven. I shall look to sell the car in 3 to 4 years for sure.

Safety and overall ownership cost are important to me.

one of my friend who drives Skoda Laura 2007 model is abosolutely dissatisfied with it so I rule out Skoda from my consideration.

Regards

Rajeev

0 members liked this post

#2 28-Feb, 2010 05:23 PM
Bala
Legend
Joined Date: 09 Mar 2009

CRUZE???,or a SONATA diesel?

#3 28-Feb, 2010 08:08 PM
Krishna
Joined Date: 10 Jan 2009

I second Bala on this. Sonata more for chauffeur driven use, Cruze primarily for self-driven, with not many occasions of ferrying family, given the rear seat has much less headroom than Sonata.

#4 28-Feb, 2010 08:34 PM
Manish
Best-seller
Joined Date: 10 Dec 2009

@ rajeev, narrow down your search in the sedan segment to Cruze, as most of the times you yourself are going to drive it around, and in the suv segment, take look at the most capable suv around India, the Scorpio, for the unmatched comfort on long distance travels plus easy enough to drive yourself within city limits.  I would suggest, you to have a test drive of both the vehicles, find out which car suits your driving style the best and inside which car, you are comfortable and takes minimum adjustments for you to be comfortable to drive.

Last Updated: 28-Feb, 2010 08:37 PM, by gentle.giant

#5 28-Feb, 2010 11:54 PM
S Menon
Best-seller
Joined Date: 18 May 2009

Posted by vinayakair

The budget is around 12-15 lakhs. Monthly running is 3000kms and is most of times selfdriven. I shall look to sell the car in 3 to 4 years for sure.

Safety and overall ownership cost are important to me.

1.  Cruze (+) Looks, power, 'new' model, maybe mileage (-) Turbo Lag, Space, Interior quality, service quality

2.  Sonata (+) Space, Power, Mileage, Service, Ownership cost (-) Brand, Perception, maybe a bit of turbo lag (redeemed by 6 speed gearbox)

3.  Safari VX (+) Acres of Space, Power, Mileage, Comfort, Bad road ability, cast-iron no-questions-asked warranty (-) Quality issues, interiors are pretty much unchanged for many years now.

4.  Innova top-end (+) everything! (-) taxi/van image, rough engine that doesnt really like being ripped around

Keep those wheels turning!

#6 01-Mar, 2010 12:21 AM
Rajeev
New Arrival

many thanks for your suggestions on the subject. I am getting the feeling that may be cruz is the best vehicle for me.

but will you be kind enough to further classify between cruz and Jetta. keeping in mind resale after 3-4 years and maintenance cost.

any plans for launch of Altis Diesel immediately in near future

#7 01-Mar, 2010 08:18 AM
Binoy
Joined Date: 23 Apr 2008

Have a look here for a quick comparison.

The Jetta would be more expensive to maintain-but VW does have some offers for free maintenance for first 3 years(this was an introductory offer and the validity pf the same will have to be rechecked now).

The Jetta again will give better resale.There are two other cars to consider-which are listed in the above comparo.

The Altis wonts be coming with a diesel engine anytime soon, but there is another car from Toyota with a diesel engine(and the segment leader at that)-which would be my personal recommendation!

#8 01-Mar, 2010 09:15 AM
Rajeev
New Arrival

Thomas, are you referring Innova. actually i would be more interested in sedan.

can you specifically tell me the actual ownership cost if we compare Jetta & Cruz

By actual ownership cost I mean following

A. Fuel Cost Per Month for driving 3200 Km

B. Original Cost of Car Minus Resale value of it after 4 years if driven for 140000 Km

C. Maintainenece cost per month.

Total ownership cost per month by adding A, B & C

pl inform if i it is the right way to calculate.  

#9 01-Mar, 2010 09:50 AM
S Menon
Best-seller
Joined Date: 18 May 2009

Resale value or residual value of vehicles is worth considering upto about 100k.  I would even say that expecting a substantial difference (enough to make or break a buy decision) on the basis of brand for a vehicle that has run over above 75k kms is being very optimistic.

Beyond 100k nobody looks at brand or value - they are all expected to be dirt cheap as they are 'high usage'.

In your case, you expect to be pushing 150k by the time you sell in 4 years.  I dont think the brand or vehicle would make any difference in that situation.  For your purposes therefore, please stick to fuel and maintenance costs.  And of course the cost of the purchase itself.

Between the Jetta and the Cruze, I'd rate the Cruze's engine better.  VW are crawling back to the Common Rail camp after their failed foray into the PD camp - they'll take some time to get where the others are.  The Cruze's engine has fairly widespread usage - the same engine (in different states of tune) is used in the Elantra, the Tucson, the Captiva and the Optra Magnum.  Its a proven Detroit Diesel engine. 

Keep those wheels turning!

#10 01-Mar, 2010 10:33 AM
Ashish Naik
Legend
Joined Date: 04 Mar 2009

Cruze is better option compare to Jetta . Also there is huge price difference between these two. Another option is Innova which in fact you don't like but it is worth to consider . One of my friend has Innova & already done 150k kms in just 3 years without any problem. Most reliable car . It has got everything .

Pages : 12

Ask the Experts

1800 2090 230

(Toll free)