for best experience

Temporary Move bike: Chennai to Bangalore

Pages : 123
#1 15-Nov, 2009 09:03 PM
anonymous
Amit
New Arrival
Joined Date: 0

I am presently studying in Bangalore and want to drive my TN registered bike in Chennai here. I do not want to change the registration to KA. What procedure should I follow? And for how long will I be able to drive here without renewing?

1. Is an NOC necessary?
2. What abt KA road tax/ insurance/ etc?

Appreciate the help...

Amit.

0 members liked this post

#2 15-Nov, 2009 09:14 PM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

For temp. relocation not exceeding 1 year, the registration number will not undergo any change.  You will, however, have to pay tax, as applicable. 

For relocation exceeding 1 year, you will need to get the bike re-registered by paying life-time tax, as applicable to old vehicles on depreciated value.  NOC (Chennai) will be required.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#3 15-Nov, 2009 09:21 PM
anonymous
Amit
New Arrival
Joined Date: 0

Thanks!

Please explain what I will need to do for single year relocation, at both RTO's.

Are there no provisions for students who wish to keep their vehicles unregistered for 2 or maybe 3 years.

#4 15-Nov, 2009 09:40 PM
Pankaj Prasad

I'm not aware of exact procedures & forms to be filled up for the purpose.  But I understand that for temp. relocation not exceeding one year you just need to pay tax, as applicable.  Some states accept 1-year tax while in some states you need to pay life-time tax (based on depreciated value assessed by RTO).  In that case, you can seek pro-rata refund of the same while relocating back within a year.

I'm afraid there is no provision for temp. relocation for 2-3 years or so for students in particular.

RTO rules vary a little from state to state.  Please ascertain finer details locally.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#5 16-Nov, 2009 10:58 AM
Bijesh Joseph
Beloved
Joined Date: 22 Jun 2009

In Bangalore, no need of any temporary registration or any other documents, other than 'Tax paid receipt'. That's the only thing cops ask when they stop other state vehicles. It's life time tax and since it's for just 1 year, in my opinion you can defer paying it. Because refund is far from reality and you may end up paying around 3k (depending on the bikes age) just for a year. Before getting you bike take a pollution certificate from Chennai. With that certificate you can manage to ride for 6 months. But it how you convince the cops. 

And Please don't get NOC from Chennai, if you get NOC as per my knowledge you have to register immediately to the new place. I guess once you get NOC, after some time (say 3 months) automatically your previous registration becomes void.  

So no need to do anything in Chennai RTO. If you want to really pay the tax for the sake of getting away from cops, you can do it here, without NOC. Insurance, i think you can continue your current one or take a new one in Bangalore once it expires.

In the Blue Blazee..!
Last Updated: 16-Nov, 2009 11:04 AM, by bijs

#6 18-Nov, 2009 10:23 AM
Pankaj Prasad

Posted by Bijs

And Please don't get NOC from Chennai, if you get NOC as per my knowledge you have to register immediately to the new place. I guess once you get NOC, after some time (say 3 months) automatically your previous registration becomes void.  

True but in this case the relocation is for 3 years - not temporary for 1 year - so, 'as per rules', re-registration/NOC will be required.  However, there are many who are able to 'manage' in such cases where relocation is temporary but longer.

#7 24-Nov, 2009 12:13 PM
Darsingh
Best-seller
Joined Date: 11 Oct 2009
Hi, I am also planning to bring my car to bangalore for couple of months. It is a brand new car bought just a week back in chennai. I would like to keep it here for 2-3 months and will bring it back to chennai. Could one of you please help, what is the procedure for that and how much does it cost as well?

Gerald Leslie Jones.

#8 24-Nov, 2009 12:48 PM
Abinash Sahu
New Arrival
Joined Date: 09 Mar 2009

Gerald,

I guess you can keep the car in another state for 3 months wothout paying tax. While crossing the border you can get a T P from the check gate which is valid for 3 months. I heard this from one of the driver in pune. You can get it confirmed from RTO, bangalore.

Even I am planning to bring my car from orissa to pune.If anybody had any information on this, Please share.

Abinash In search of a good hatchback :-> Apache : 2006-Present:-> Maruti 800 : 2001-2003:-> Splendor : 2001-2004:-> Bajaj Sunny: 1998-2000:->

#9 24-Nov, 2009 01:25 PM
Darsingh
Best-seller
Joined Date: 11 Oct 2009
Does TP stand for Transfer Pass?

Gerald Leslie Jones.

#10 24-Nov, 2009 01:36 PM
Krishna
Joined Date: 10 Jan 2009

Posted by Abinash Sahu
I guess you can keep the car in another state for 3 months wothout paying tax. While crossing the border you can get a T P from the check gate which is valid for 3 months. I heard this from one of the driver in pune. You can get it confirmed from RTO, bangalore.

So in this case, is it just a matter of riding down to Hosur once in a quarter and get a transfer pass from a checkpoint? Life easy for the next quarter... Then rinse and repeat??

Pages : 123

Ask the Experts

1800 2090 230

(Toll free)