Problem with Mileage Wagon R Lxi

Pages : 12
#1 26-Oct, 2008 12:48 AM
Sandeep
New Arrival
Joined Date: 26 Oct 2008

Hello everyone i am from Mumbai.After immense austere decision making exercise we finally brought Wagon R Lxi of 2006 which was hardly been used( Total Meter Reading was 6,572) through one dealer at the cost of 2.75. Before i made the concluding decision i verify with my mechanic about the condition of the car. He gave his consent and finally we brought it. I used to drive Maruti 800 . To tell you the truth my experience with Wagon R really isintriguing car it smooth and perfect for City Driving. However from the day first it when in term of Mileage it really give me a Big Hiccups i discover it is not giving me more then 7 to 8 Km per liter with 95 % AC on City. My fuel expense are astronomically increased almost double of what it used to be of Maruti 800.

Can someone Suggest me what shall i do to increase the mileage. My Montly Driving is close to 3000 Km. I am seriously comtemplating to go for alternative Fuel option. Will Wagon R Lxi with CNG can be suitable option. Is Wagon R Lxi is compatable with CNG?. Will CNG hit the performance of my car. I appreciate if someone can suggest me some valuable input what shall i do.

Thank
Sandeep Sharma

0 members liked this post

#2 26-Oct, 2008 01:14 AM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

WagonR generally gives 13/14 in city & 17/18 on highway (depending upon the driving conditions & style).  However, in metros & big cities, the mileage will not be at its best for obvious reasons (any car).

The mileage you are deriving is very low. In my opinion, it should not be less than 10/11 in any case.  I suggest if you can get it thoroughly checked/rectified.

Nevertheless, for a monthly run/usage of 3K, a petrol car is not advisable (even with better mileage).  You should definitely got for LGP or CNG Retrofitment.

LPG Retrofitment may cost around 20K - would decrease the mileage, say from 12 to 8 but will be economical as compared to petrol for obvious reason.  It will, however, reduce the performance/pick-up by 10-15%.

CNG Retrofitment may cost around 40K - would increase the mileage, say from 12 to 14 & will be even more economical than LPG.  Performance/pick-up will reduce by 20-25%.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#3 26-Oct, 2008 10:14 AM
R Srinivasan
Long-termer
Joined Date: 05 Aug 2008

As noted by Pankaj, the mileage of 7-8 km/lit is very low for Wagon R. Get the car tuned properly at an authorized outlet and have the fuel lines checked for any leakage. Ask the service engineer to do throttle body/fiuel injector cleaning, replace the air filter and do an ecu scan (all of which should be done in a complete tune-up). An engine flush, to clean out carbon deposits, willl also help in improving engine performance/mileage to some extent.  Make sure the petrol you use is unadulterated; go to a reputed bunk..

A lot depends on driving style also. If you are idling a lot at signals and drive the car mostly in second/third gears in Mumbai city you will not get good mileage (at times my Santro's mileage also drops below 10 km/lit in Mumbai city). If you can get to fourth/fifth gear for a significant portion of your driving, your mileage should improve.

[ http://in.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=sradhakr1&p=r ] & [ http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0504115 ] & [ http://www.worldscinet.com/ijqi/08/0803/S021974991000640X.html ]
Last Updated: 26-Oct, 2008 10:16 AM, by rk_srinivasan

#4 26-Oct, 2008 10:32 AM
Binoy
Joined Date: 23 Apr 2008
Please enlighten how the engine flush will improve mileage

#5 26-Oct, 2008 10:48 AM
R Srinivasan
Long-termer
Joined Date: 05 Aug 2008

@Binoy: See following website, for example:

http://www.customercare.tatamotors.com/service/decarbon.asp

Quote:

Why Engine flush is Required

High engine temperatures caused by heavy stop and go driving conditions lead to thermal breakdown of engine oil. Not all of the oil is removed during a drain and fill oil change. Deposits are left behind and form sludge and varnish in the engine resulting in smoke from the exhaust and increased oil usage.

Solution:

Engine Flush treatment helps in

• Safely and effectively cleaning and removing oxidised particles and fluid contamination left behind from previous oil changes
  • Preventing further deposits
  • Freeing sticky lifters and rings
  • Chemically “tuning” the engine during driving
  • Restoring pep and power
  • Removing sludge from valve train
  • Promoting fuel economy and improving overall engine operation

If engine "pep and power" is improved, you will need do less downshifting and as a result mileage should improve. This holds when the engine performance is badly affected by carbon deposits. Of course a lot depends on driving style. However, I should add that engine flush is also known to create problems when done on very old vehicles which have very heavy carbon deposits (apparently the oil lines get choked as a result of the freeing of deposits and cause engine seizure). So this should only be done when recommended by authorized outlets.

Edit: I also recommend that the car's mileage be checked when driven with the AC off. If there is a substantial improvement in mileage (say, more than about 1 km/lit) then the AC should also be checked/serviced.

[ http://in.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=sradhakr1&p=r ] & [ http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0504115 ] & [ http://www.worldscinet.com/ijqi/08/0803/S021974991000640X.html ]
Last Updated: 26-Oct, 2008 11:08 AM, by rk_srinivasan

#6 26-Oct, 2008 02:09 PM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007
Posted by Pankaj Prasad

LPG Retrofitment may cost around 20K - would decrease the mileage, say from 12 to 8 but will be economical as compared to petrol for obvious reason.  It will, however, reduce the performance/pick-up by 10-15%.

That's a typo, I mean 12 to 10.

@ Srinivasan, as I understand, engine flushing is actually required in cars that are old / used substantially.  In this case, the WagonR is June 2006 model with only 6.5K or so used.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.
Last Updated: 26-Oct, 2008 02:16 PM, by Pankaj.Prasad

#7 26-Oct, 2008 02:22 PM
Binoy
@ Srinivasan

Thanks for the link-but they are two different things

Engine Flush
-just remove the 'old oil'-no performance gains at all

&

Decarbonising-can lead to a performance increase

guess we should not confuse these two terms

moreover there is a lot of ill feeling while using an engine flush as it ruins the component seals if used repeatedly.

Last Updated: 26-Oct, 2008 02:26 PM, by Binoy.Thomas

#8 28-Oct, 2008 12:21 AM
Rajan
New Arrival
Joined Date: 28 Oct 2008
I think throttal sensors should adjust.

#9 20-Jan, 2009 02:08 PM
Amit
New Arrival
Joined Date: 20 Jan 2009

Hi ,

On same line of issue , my wagon r is 2006 June model and run 11, 000 KM . I have some my 3 service and had engine oil replaces last year June. But I am experiencing low pick up and heavy while running on 8 lane express highway .. I am not able to drive above 60 effortless. Earlier it was not the case and it took 90/100 kmph EASILY . I have not gone de-carbonization in my 3rd service. Please advice what to do at this point?

Thanks & regards

Amit kumar

Last Updated: 20-Jan, 2009 02:12 PM, by AmitSinha

#10 20-Jan, 2009 03:08 PM
Binoy

Obivious the car has to be taken back to the service center to find out what is wrong(there could be many reasons for the same)-or elaborated more on what you are experiencing and then we can throw some more light.

With 11K on the odo-there is no reason to de-carbonize the engine.

Pages : 12