Select Your City

for best experience

Buying used car - ownership transfer procedure

Pages : 12
#1 10-Jun, 2009 03:40 PM
Daisy Brown
Road-tested
Joined Date: 20 Mar 2007

My friend just closed a deal to buy a used car in Bangalore with karnataka registration. Its a private deal. The car will be used in Bangalore itself.

1. What is the procedure to transfer ownership?

2. What else does he need to take care of other than transfering ownership?

3. What is the procedure to transfer the RC Book to my friend's name

0 members liked this post

#2 10-Jun, 2009 09:52 PM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

Need to submit to the RTO concerned the TTO/transfer form duly signed/discharged by the seller in favour of your friend (buyer) - along with the requisite papers/forms.  Also need to transfer the insurance policy -within 14 days from the date the vehicle stands transferred (RTO).

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#3 26-Aug, 2009 04:14 PM
Shankar
Long-termer
Joined Date: 17 Aug 2009

If the buyer and seller reside in different jurisdictions within the same city ( Bangalore), would that mean obtaining a NOC from the sellers RTO and then registering it again in the buyers RTO.

For example, KA-03 is the Indiranagar RTO, and if a KA-03 vehicle is sold to someone residing in Jayanagar ( KA-05 ) , would that mean getting a NOC from the Indiranagar RTO and registering it again in the Jayanagar RTO ?

Or will the vehicle get registered in the new owner's name in the I'nagar RTO itself, even though he resides in Jayanagar ?

Last Updated: 26-Aug, 2009 04:14 PM, by sdp1975

#4 26-Aug, 2009 04:41 PM
Anshu Jha
Joined Date: 26 Feb 2009

It would be required to get NOC from Indiranagar and get registered in Jayanagar on new owner's name.

Those who claim that they know everything do not know what they dont know.

#5 28-Aug, 2009 09:46 PM
Pankaj Prasad

To add/clarify... NOC/registration etc. (Jayanagar) will have to be carried out concurrently with the name transfer formality itself.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#6 07-Sep, 2009 10:30 PM
Feroz
Best-seller
Joined Date: 19 Oct 2008

As the registration is not changing, NOC is not needed. It is needed for inter state transfers and re registration alone.

Go to the RTO at Jayanagar and submit the forms for ownership transfer.

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.

#7 14-Sep, 2009 09:10 AM
Pankaj Prasad

To my understanding, NOC is required whenever there is a change in RTO - intra or inter city/state (whatever the case may be).  NOC are of various types.  The one required in this case (intra-city), is a mere formality/procedure (unlike NOC for registration etc.).

#8 14-Sep, 2009 09:19 AM
Anshu Jha
Joined Date: 26 Feb 2009

NOC is required indeed as the registration is specific to RTO zone. For example, my current RTO is Rangareddy zone in Hyderabad (AP 28 XX XXXX). If I move to a different RTO zone, say begumpet, its Trimulghery RTO zone in Hyderabad (AP 10 XX XXXX), I would be required to get an NOC from Rangareddy and it should be for RTO Trimulghery for a simple reason that these two RTOs are independent in registering the vehicles.

However, the cost and effort would be quite less when compared to inter-state NOC or transfer as its within the same state. I got my car from Vizag (AP 31 XX XXXX) to Hyd (AP 09 XX XXXX). The registration did not change but the address was supposed to be changed in records. So a NOC from Vizag was required so that the car now reflects under new RTO rather than old. It costed me some 2 hundred change.

Those who claim that they know everything do not know what they dont know.

#9 14-Sep, 2009 12:28 PM
Shankar
Long-termer
Joined Date: 17 Aug 2009

Posted by Pankaj Prasad

To my understanding, NOC is required whenever there is a change in RTO - intra or inter city/state (whatever the case may be).  NOC are of various types.  The one required in this case (intra-city), is a mere formality/procedure (unlike NOC for registration etc.).

Agree with Pankaj. In Karnataka it's called a clearance certificate ( CC ) for transfer within the state. It's just a plain paper application to the originally registering RTO and endorsed by the RTO.For transfer to other states, a NOC on form 28 is required.

More details on http://rto.kar.nic.in/ -> RTO SERVICES.

#10 10-Oct, 2009 12:16 AM
Rishi
Long-termer
Joined Date: 27 May 2009

A friend of mine is buying a second hand car which is slightly over a month old.It was running on a temporary registration & the permanent regn has just been done few days back.

The transfer is within the same city so will the NOC be required.Also ,since it was running on a temporary regn how can he ensure that no accidents have happened when it was running on a temporary regn.

Any other suggestions regarding care to be taken before buying & precautions to be taken in documents & the paperworks are welcome.

Pages : 12

Ask the Experts

1800 2090 230

(Toll free)