Tinted Glass Vs. Normal Glass

Pages : 12
#1 24-Dec, 2008 09:54 AM
Bharat Bhushan
Driven
Joined Date: 04 Nov 2008

What is the difference b/w a car with Tinted Glasses and the one with Normal Glass?

Is it worth to go for a car with Normal Glass with considerable price saving ( like in case of Chevy U-Va ) ?

0 members liked this post

#2 24-Dec, 2008 11:14 AM
Rohit
Joined Date: 10 Nov 2008

Well, it depends on how comfortable you are with normal glass. In hot weather when fully rolled up your AC would be a bit less effective with normal glass which lets almost all the heat in from the sunshine. If price is a problem, then you can always laminate the normal glass with sunguard films - these IMO should not be as expensive as having company fitted tinted glasses. Choose good quality RTO approved ones though.

S = k.I^2, where S is the amount of stupidity a species possesses, I is the intelligence the species has and k is the universal constant of stupidity.

#3 24-Dec, 2008 11:41 AM
Rachit
Best-seller
Joined Date: 07 Nov 2008

Hey Bharat, a very light black film is what I can suggest. And if you go for darker tints, please check it with the RTO as well.

Tinted glass during summer. As Rohit pointed out, your cabin will cool faster and put less pressure on your compressor and hence on the engine.

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just ran out of talent!

#4 24-Dec, 2008 12:41 PM
Rohit

@Mustang - I would differ slightly as far as the compressor is concerned. The compressor is not more stressed by a hot cabin than a cooler one. Leave it on for the entire duration of travel if you will without any problems apart from the normal wear that happens. The only change with a cooler cabin is that the compressor will be shut down (disengaged from the engine) by the thermostat - so in effect the compressor will run less so less wear and tear and more importantly it will steal less engine power, so mileage will be better (how much depends on a lot of other factors) as you pointed out.

S = k.I^2, where S is the amount of stupidity a species possesses, I is the intelligence the species has and k is the universal constant of stupidity.
Last Updated: 24-Dec, 2008 12:48 PM, by rohit.b.d.

#5 24-Dec, 2008 12:56 PM
Rachit
Best-seller

I meant the same thing. Smile

Lesser Pressure on compressor for cooling--> faster cut-off---> more fuel saved.

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just ran out of talent!

#6 24-Dec, 2008 02:00 PM
Rohit

@Mustang - I have noticed that many of your posts today (on other threads as well) end with a smiley...nothing to worry about, just noticed it...Laughing

Last Updated: 24-Dec, 2008 02:00 PM, by rohit.b.d.

#7 24-Dec, 2008 04:35 PM
Rachit
Best-seller

lol. For a second I was wondering what is this all about.

#8 12-Oct, 2010 04:40 PM
Sachin Bhutada
Long-termer
Joined Date: 31 Aug 2010

Can Someone tell how to identify whether a car IS having Tinted Glass or not?

Is there a colour change with tinted glass?

I dont want to believe on Sales guy saying,hey ur car DOES have tinted glass and me not knowing whether it actuall has or not.Please advice.

#9 12-Oct, 2010 04:49 PM
Rohit

Well, if you wear polarised sunglasses (Polaroid, for example) you can see that tinted windows appear to have a rainbow pattern (much shifted towards purple-blue, though).

#10 12-Oct, 2010 05:20 PM
Sachin Bhutada
Long-termer
Joined Date: 31 Aug 2010

Thanks Rohit.

Any Easy Way Innocent?

Pages : 12