Chassis number wrong in the RC

#1 15-Aug, 2008 09:32 AM
Shishir Garde
New Arrival
Joined Date: 15 Aug 2008
Hi everyone,

I am facing  2 problems.

1) Recently the loan on my bike got over and I got an NOC from the bank. So I want to get the hypothecation deleted from the RC.
2) A couple of days ago when my insurance agent came over, he pointed out that the Chassis number on the bike and the one mentioned in the RC are different. There is a mismatch of one letter.

So now I want to get 2 things done, one is to get the Chassis number corrected, and second is to get the hypothecation removed. How should I go about it. Also, I cannot show the insurance as the insurance companies are denying to do the insurance unless the chassis number is corrected.

Also, I wanted to sell this bike and it would create a problem there too.
Please suggest me something.

0 members liked this post

#2 15-Aug, 2008 12:38 PM
Deepam
[BANNED]
Joined Date: 04 Dec 2006

hello shishir.

1st of all u go to the dealer from where u purchased the bike & ask him why is this so because he would have registerd ur bike so he is responsible for the mismatch.

#3 15-Aug, 2008 08:28 PM
Pankaj Prasad
Joined Date: 29 Sep 2007

Vehicles are registered by taking a pencil imprint of chassis no. on the registeration form.  The no. is also filled-in (manually) at other requisite places in the form.  Based thereon, the RC Book is prepared.  In all probability, the error has occurred by mistake. 

I suggest, take the vehicle, RC Book, other papers/documents & vehicle reciept (purchase) etc. to the RTO & get the error rectified.  It would be better if you get it done through some good & repurted agent (things would move faster).

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#4 15-Sep, 2009 03:31 PM
Ralph Fernande
New Arrival
Joined Date: 26 May 2009

Hi,

I am having the same problem. My bike chassis number has been completely wiped out due to rust. On going to the service centre (of the dealer) to re punch the numbers, they found that 1 letter in my  chassis Number (on the dealer book)and 1 letter in my engine Number (on the bike) does not match with that on the RC book. On asking the dealer, he says that this is not a problem as only the numbers are used for insurance and selling of the bike. Is this true?

Also on insisting, that he gets this changed, he says that he will do an endorsement, which will be stamped by the RTO. Do tell me what this means and if this is sufficient. Request your help.

#5 15-Sep, 2009 08:34 PM
Pankaj Prasad

Posted by Carman123

... he says that this is not a problem as only the numbers are used for insurance and selling of the bike. Is this true?

Only?  Both are very vital aspects.  The vehicle is identified by the number.

Proper change effected & endorsed by the RTO is sufficient.  Ensure the same is corrected in the Insurance Policy too, if required.

Honesty is not a Spare Wheel that you pull out when in trouble. It's a Steering Wheel that keeps you on the right path throughout the life's journey.

#6 15-Sep, 2009 10:53 PM
Ralph Fernande
New Arrival
Joined Date: 26 May 2009

Thank you for the information that the letters are also important. There were 2 more questions:

The dealer said that since the chassis number is wiped out they could punch the chassis number on the plate themselves. Is this an ok method?

Also once the endorsement letter is stamped by the RTO, do I need to get a new RC certificate with the new numbers or is the endorsement letter sufficient?

#7 16-Sep, 2009 09:01 AM
Pankaj Prasad

Punching the number is the only way it can be done.  The dealer is the appropriate person to carry out / certify it. 

I don't think new RC Book will be issued, as endorsement in the existing one will suffice the purpose.