Select Your City

for best experience

Polo tdi vs swift vid vs i20 diesel

Pages : 12
#1 09-May, 2012 07:52 PM
Dffyriji
New Arrival
Joined Date: 09 May 2012

I am planning to buy a diesel hatchback. However I have short listed three cars the vw polo trend line (diesel), the swift vid and the i20 diesel era. 

Which ouroof the three is the most recommended. I am looking at maximum resale value and average. 

Please reply soon. I need to buy within week.

0 members liked this post

#2 10-May, 2012 01:56 AM
Suresh P
Long-termer
Joined Date: 17 Jul 2011

Hi Arjun,

Swift has the maximum resale value.next I20 and Polo follows.All 3 cars have their own good & bad. So how many years are you planning to keep the car.

#3 10-May, 2012 04:19 AM
Nischit Shetty
Long-termer
Joined Date: 27 May 2011

Going by VFM, I think Suresh has given right order of preference.

If you are chosing i20, stretch your budget a bit and go for Magna.

#4 10-May, 2012 06:02 AM
Dffyriji
New Arrival
Joined Date: 09 May 2012

I'm planning to keep it for about 4 years. And looking at it from a overall point of view which I s better swift or I20?

Im ruling out polo because I've heard that it has a 3 cylinder engine which is not so effective lower speeds.

So now it's swift or i20?

#5 10-May, 2012 09:17 AM
Arun
Legend
Joined Date: 07 Dec 2009

Posted by Arjun123321

I'm planning to keep it for about 4 years. And looking at it from a overall point of view which I s better swift or I20?

Im ruling out polo because I've heard that it has a 3 cylinder engine which is not so effective lower speeds.

So now it's swift or i20?

If the space (rear seat & boot) offered in the swift is ok for you compared to the bigger i20, then you should finalise the swift. Body rattles, weak clutch and rust are some complaints in the swift but if you maintain properly, it should not be a problem. All the best.

#6 10-May, 2012 11:47 AM
Nipun Bharti
Legend
Joined Date: 28 May 2008

Swift is the most suited as it will give best resale value followed by I20 and Polo.Yes,Polo diesel engine is weakest at slow speeds followed by Swift followed by I20.However the performance gap between Swift and I20 is not much so why spend so much more on I20.

#7 10-May, 2012 03:55 PM
Suresh P
Long-termer
Joined Date: 17 Jul 2011

Hi Arjun, 

which variant are you planning for swift if decided? If budget is not concern go for the I20 MAgna(O) which comes with the music system. Here are some pros and cons about swift & I20

SWIFT

Good mileage

Easy maintance(ie service gap is 5000km)

Good resale value

Long waiting period

Bad clutch and very bad brakes(You have use the engine braking power to stop suddenly)

Rusting problem if you are near the coastal area

I20(me being a owner elobrated more)

Very powerful engine

Good mileage(just less by 1km compared to swift)

Average maintance cost(service gap 10,000km)

Very light power steering(good for city driving ok for highways)

6th gear a boon on highways(very nice to maintain 90-100km constantly)

small nigles and vibrations (but can be rectified if you have good service centre)

good braking

High price(must be less by atleast 40k)

Good resale value

So swift and I20 goes neck and neck ,atlast swift winning marginally becoz its a maruti

So take long test drives with your family and take their opinions also in to consideration.

While test driving make a note of what you like and dont it helps.

#8 17-May, 2012 04:03 PM
Shailinder
Long-termer
Joined Date: 02 Jul 2010

Posted by Arjun123321

I am planning to buy a diesel hatchback. However I have short listed three cars the vw polo trend line (diesel), the swift vid and the i20 diesel era. 

Which ouroof the three is the most recommended. I am looking at maximum resale value and average. 

Please reply soon. I need to buy within week.

Arjun,

Please help me understand your monthly running ? Are you buying Diesel because Petrol prices are high ? If yes then I would suggest make some calculations before moving forward.

Swift has a beautiful engine but rattles are high if you compare with Polo and i20.

i20 is a good car but light steering wheel with no feedback would be treffible on highways.

Polo being the 3 pot engine would make more noise but stability on high speed and premiumness would keep you happy for long time to some.

Important: Do not think that more service stations are a plus for Maruti. Hyundai is not far behind and Polo's service internal is the highest 15k or 1 year. Swift is so common, after buying it you would see that no body is noticing you or your car because everyone has one in the family or friend circle. As far as resale is concerned. Buy the car you like the most and think of resale at the time you decide get parted.

So final words are calculate and then plan.

It is impossible to win the race unless you venture to run, impossible to win the victory unless you dare to battle.

#9 18-May, 2012 11:59 AM
Shiv
Best-seller
Joined Date: 20 Jun 2011

Polo is good car with internal space comparable to Swift but 75 liter more boot space and fit and finish is top notch. 

i20 diesel is powerful car but and loaded with features. If steering rack problem is taken care with feed back at high speed in the new upgrade, i20  make sense. When something goes wrong, by and large all the service centers behave in the similar fashion. 

Service Cost: starting from Cheapest: Swift,>i20>Polo (this is partly due to synthetic oil) by and large labout charges are harmonized across the brands with 10 % variation.

Exclusivity: Starting from Commonality: Swift>i20>Polo

Price: Swift>i20> Polo

Internal Space: low to high swift > Polo> i20

Features/ Gizmo's" Swift/Polo > i20.

Waiting Period: Lowest: Polo>i20> Swift.

Verify i20's AC performance in peak afternoon, it was very weak but not sure with upgrade.

i20 might make more sense. Engine is super refined, 6 gears, loaded with features.

Swift is workhorse of masses but no body will notice you on the road, they are everywhere.

Buckle up or pay with life

#10 25-May, 2012 06:22 PM
Sai Sekhar
New Arrival
Joined Date: 25 May 2012

Iam in the éxact and same'dilemma as Mr. Arjun.

Pages : 12

Ask the Experts

1800 2090 230

(Toll free)